Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Crystal/Glass Pianos  (Read 5863 times)

Offline ClassicalPiano2002

• PS Silver Member
Crystal/Glass Pianos
on: July 04, 2002, 12:14:03 AM
does anyone know how much a crystal/glass piano would cost (new or used) ???? My family is very interested and has been looking for one and im wondering how much one would cost

Offline Brian Lawson, RPT

• PS Silver Member
Re: Crystal/Glass Pianos
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2002, 08:26:38 PM
Probaly not crystal/glass but acrylic  - at least for the rim as in https://www.schimmel.de/e/glasfluegel.html

I've got a dealer friend with a 1970's Kawai grand that someone took lid off and replaced it with a piece of thick, shaped plate glass.
Brian Lawson, RPT
South Africa
https://www.lawsonic.co.za

Offline classicarts

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 12:50:29 AM
I saw a used one online.  It was a Kawai grand piano.  He asking three times the normal cost of a regular grand.   8)

Offline kawaidon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 04:25:09 AM
Kawai still manufactures the CR-40, which is essentially an RX-3 (6'1") made with a plexiglass cabinet.

I believe the retail price is in the neighborhood of $80K.

Don Mannino RPT
Kawai America

Offline leahcim

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 09:57:18 AM
Hopefully they bought a crystal ball... ::)

Offline sonatainfsharp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 05:00:18 PM
I played an acrylic piano onces and it didn't sound like a piano at all--it was simply a show piece, but maybe I just had a bad example.

Offline adelebrooks

Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 12:23:13 PM
You can check the selection of these new transparent grand pianos here https://europianosnaples.com/producttags/transparent/. They have different options.  All these crystal models look really amazing! Such a piano is a gem for performing artists and people looking for something unique. Wish I could play one of them.

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 12:32:07 PM
They do look different... some folks (Liberace?) really like the look.  They also sound different.  Very different.  If you are thinking of buying it for the specific look, well and good.  Be sure and protect it -- if it is acrylic, which most of them are, it will scratch very easily, and the scratches are almost impossible to get rid of.  Use a cover, except when you are displaying it.

The cover will also help with some of the weird ringing which they all seem to have when you are playing it -- but if you are purchasing it as a piano, be very sure that you just have to have the look and can tolerate the sound.
Ian

Offline briansaddleback

Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 09:28:34 PM
I would crack a crystal or glass piano playing my Revolutionary on it.
Work in progress:

Rondo Alla Turca
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert