Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Normal steps to set up a (paid) performance  (Read 1172 times)

Offline jam8086

• PS Silver Member
Normal steps to set up a (paid) performance
on: June 30, 2006, 12:38:08 AM
Anyone who regularly performs, or has regularly performed, concerts/recitals (preferably solo recitals)...Could you walk me through the process of setting everything up, different advertising techniques, etc.?  How much do you usually charge per ticket for different sized audiences?  How much do you earn?  I know I'm only scratching the surface with these questions, so please don't hesitate to elaborate on other issues pertaining to setting up performances.

For anyone that wants to yell at me because they think I'm an idiot that thinks he can live off of classical music performances: I am just entering college, and I'm planning on teaching piano as a career afterwards, but also probably doing some performances on the side (which I'm positive is a great way to get new students, and some extra cash). So this is obviously for future reference, but four years is really not that far away, and I like to plan ahead and have knowledge of things ahead of time.  Others can probably benefit from your advice, too!

Thanks!!!

Offline bartolomeo_

• PS Silver Member
Re: Normal steps to set up a (paid) performance
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 07:31:45 PM
I have not had the experience of witnessing a piano recital where admission was charged though perhaps I live in an area with an unusual abundance of free music.  The recitals around here where the pianist is getting paid for the recital are all underwritten by arts foundations because they all lose money otherwise.

Most of the pianists I know rely on a combination of teaching income, church gigs, choral accompaniment, club dates, other "atmosphere" gigs like hotels, restaurants and department stores, and various kinds of sponsored events.

The local historical society is having a pianist at their exhibit at the upcoming county fair.  They fully expect to have someone playing -- for free -- for seven hours a day for the five days that the fair runs.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert