Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven memorization  (Read 2376 times)

Offline Chopins_Fantaisie

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven memorization
on: January 02, 2004, 09:47:23 PM
A couple of years ago I learned the third movement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Now that college auditions are at hand, I've chosen it as one of my pieces to play. While I didn't take the time to memorize it when I first learned it, the task of doing so now looms before me. Trouble is, I don't really have the motivation to take the time to really study it to memorize it like I have done in the past with other demanding pieces.  ::) I have only a month to get all 12 pages of the piece memorized, and maybe it's that thought that stands in the way partially to studying it, etc. I've been trying to take the memory suggestions from numerous books I've read and applied to past repertoire, but argh, it's not working this time around! Does anyone have any suggestiongs or advice that might aid me in this last- minute preparation?? Any is most welcome. Thank you!
Music is my refuge. I could crawl into the spaces between the notes and curl my back to loneliness. - Maya Angelou

Offline ax166

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven memorization
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 09:01:05 PM
I never learn pieces by heart when I study them, I just play it many times. After a certain number, you will be able to play it without the score!

Offline steveolongfingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 02:38:18 AM
learn the rules of sonata allegro....this movement is repetive, and follows the form really well......its the best way to remember most pieces is to know the forms!
Writing about music is like dancing about architecture – it’s a stupid thing to want to do- Frank Zappa

Offline Jennifer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 05:03:15 PM
When you play it many times, your fingers will just run before you even try to remember the notes you were trying to memorize a week ago. This is because you're using your "muscle memory", a lot of hard work to get all the finger positions.

Another way is grouping up similar patterns in the piece and remember the music's 'flow shape', the climax is here, the notes will eventually go to the peak.

I memorize in another way. To sit down and practice the piece without a piano, imagine the keys of the piano. After just once, you'll get all the notes, bar numbers, expressions etc in memory! =^_____^=   ;D

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 05:22:11 PM
When you play it many times, your fingers will just run before you even try to remember the notes you were trying to memorize a week ago. This is because you're using your "muscle memory", a lot of hard work to get all the finger positions.

Muscle memory will fail you quite often. You need to know it in your mind.

I memorize in another way. To sit down and practice the piece without a piano, imagine the keys of the piano. After just once, you'll get all the notes, bar numbers, expressions etc in memory! =^_____^=   ;D

Now this is a good way to memorize.

boliver
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert