Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: I just saw a video of myself playing, and...  (Read 2140 times)

Offline kriskicksass

• PS Silver Member
I just saw a video of myself playing, and...
on: August 24, 2006, 01:52:40 AM
It's terrible! I move around and look like a rag doll when I play. It almost borders on Lang Lang! Help...

EDIT: I'll post the vid at some point. It's too much of a pain to do it right now, because it's an 11 min vid and youtube cuts off at 10.

Offline lau

• PS Silver Member
Re: I just saw a video of myself playing, and...
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 04:34:00 AM
it's actually the opposite for me, people tell me I look bored when I play and don't move a muscle (except my arms), well I'm not bored!
i'm not asian

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 10:02:46 AM
getting a video of oneself is the first step to curing any ills.  my teacher way back when videoed us and also fast forwarded mine once.  i looked like a wind-up toy that went forwards and back with my torso.  so, then, after that - i tried to be much more careful of how much i was going back and forth.  never keep time with the music with any part of your body. 

whatever movements facilitate your hands moving around is probably better than what helps your head move around.  there are a lot of head back - look at the ceiling type movements (which may release tension in the neck).   but, other major movements (elbows out, etc) are just plain unhelpful to your playing, right? 

i think helene grimaud occasionally looks up -except unlike chopin , she looks to the right.  if i remember right. 

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 07:02:27 AM
Sometimes particular movements in our body helps queue what we have to do at the hands. Some people can never break this connection it is just a habit. It doesn't directly do anything to change the sound but for you it might help remember how the piece should be played, perhaps your hbody can't help but move tot he music :) You like to let the music play you, not the other way around.

How you look doesn't really matter, to me I like to see someone control their instrument, sometimes wild movements or robotic actions taints the art of movement for me. I like to see effortless movements create great sounds, that looks much more impressive than wild actions to produce wild sounds imo.

Music is controlled emotion, I think it should also be controlled physical movement as well.

"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline apion

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 08:15:39 PM
It's terrible! I move around and look like a rag doll when I play. It almost borders on Lang Lang! Help...

LOL  ;D  Now I gotta see it.  Please post it ASAP  :D

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 01:24:55 AM

i think helene grimaud occasionally looks up -except unlike chopin , she looks to the right.  if i remember right. 

Yuk!  She looks all over the place.  It is very cheesy and for me not convicing.  Then again, I read recently the diary of an American piano student of Liszt, which is very long, and several times he mentions that Liszt says, never looka t the keys, but always up, since it gives the impression of inspration.  Could this kitschy movement come from the grand master himself?  What a disappointment!

I think if one is quiet on the inside, then the body can be quiet on the outside.  I think a lot of excess movement comes more from inner tension than anything else.

Walter Ramsey

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 04:00:13 AM
getting a video of oneself is the first step to curing any ills.

I generally agree, because it helps you identify the superflous and the styming, yet there is so much that is invisible in piano playing, and then so much that that just helps shapping the music, even if illogical or irrational.

I say listen rather than watch.
Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  :)

Offline kriskicksass

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 04:45:34 AM
I guess the reason why it was so surprising to see myself perform like that is that I have a huge mirror next to my piano, so I regularly watch myself to make sure I'm not making any superfluous motions, and that my hands are at a good angle, etc. Nothing like that ever came up in my practicing.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 08:54:47 AM
I guess the reason why it was so surprising to see myself perform like that is that I have a huge mirror next to my piano, so I regularly watch myself to make sure I'm not making any superfluous motions, and that my hands are at a good angle, etc. Nothing like that ever came up in my practicing.

For most people the reflection from a high polish music rack is traumatic enough.  Who gave you the idea of the mirror?
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline nick

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 01:01:26 PM
I generally agree, because it helps you identify the superflous and the styming, yet there is so much that is invisible in piano playing, and then so much that that just helps shapping the music, even if illogical or irrational.

I say listen rather than watch.

right on!

Nick
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert