Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin op.10 no.10 phrasing question  (Read 3054 times)

Offline kghayesh

• PS Silver Member
Chopin op.10 no.10 phrasing question
on: August 26, 2006, 10:40:21 PM
I started learning this Etude some days ago. I had a question about the phrasing of the main theme. In the first 2 bars, the slur begins on the 2nd 1/8th note of the bar (the double note) and ends on the single note. This means that the accent should be placed on the double note and the single note should be played softly.

Note that here the slurs appear only in the first 2 bars only, even though the next 2 are exactly similar to them in everything. (except notes of course)

Then, in the main theme entry before the stacatto part, the slurs appear again but in the opposite way (starting on the single notes and ending on the double notes). This time the slurs appear in the 4 bars not only 2 as in the first entrance.

Now, what i am asking is should i emphasize on playing these same parts differently, with different accents ?? (first time on the double notes then on the single notes) or it is just a minor thing in the interpretation of this etude and it won't matter whether i play it this way or that way ??

P.S: I wrote this in a hurry and I tried my best to describe my question. I am not sure it is much clear though. If you need more elaboration please say and I'll do so.

Thanks

Offline kony

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin op.10 no.10 phrasing question
Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 11:22:36 PM
yeah you're supposed to play it differently the second time. I've always thought of it as an etude on articulation and phrasing.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert