Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Is Speaking Of D.C. And D.S. Forbidden?  (Read 2630 times)

Offline Ruro

• PS Silver Member
Is Speaking Of D.C. And D.S. Forbidden?
on: September 03, 2006, 10:09:06 PM
 Alright, I'm not annoyed at you all, but nearly everytime I post a thread anywhere/any forum I become parranoid as to why no one is answering, and especially how very few view my thread which seems to have *Perfectly* reasonable content/questions. Again, I'm not annoyed with anyone, just... trying to save my sanity by asking what is so perculiar with my thread(s)? ::) Thankies

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  - 

Didn't get a single result on this with the search, probably wouldn't for Del Capo either ^_^;; Atleast I'm making one now though.

Somehow I have managed to avoid Repeats for ages, and now I'm working on my X Japan Ballad book, they are popping up! Basically... I just double checked I'm understanding the standard Repeat style right, so once I reach the D.S. sign, do I have to play from the Segno sign AND play all the repeats within it as well?

For example, at one point it requires you to play about 16 bars, you hit a bar with the 1---¬ mark, and then start again... and go over as necessary, I have to go through all this again?
 Actually O_o I end up hitting the Coda sign after the repeats... I sincerely hope they don't start making puzzles of music Scores for the "New Contemporary" thing.

I ain't complaining about all the repeating, just asking :) Thanks!

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Re: Is Speaking Of D.C. And D.S. Forbidden?
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 11:29:43 PM
There are two questions here.

First the repeats. No, you do not repeat all the repeats again whenyou get to the D.S. and back to the symbol. First time round, yes, do all repeats. But once you go back, just play straight through to the end.

In Baroque/classical music, the repeats were a chance for the performer to improvise freely  hence so many repeats. But from the romantics onwards they are just repeats (they just could not get enough of the music, although Schubert sometimes gets a bit over the top).

Now for the second question. Your questions are good, but

i. Perhaps no one knows the answer. :-[
ii. They are not about aliens / bible interpretation / who is gay? and other subjects of great relevance to piano playing, so no one feels inclined to answer. ::)
iii. Perhaps no one saw your posts, since the moment they appear in the 30 last posts, they immediately are moved out by pianistimos 798 posts a day. (I myself stumbled on to it pretty much by chance).  ;)

Anyway, don´t get discouraged, just persevere. :D

Best wishes,
Bernhard.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 01:55:19 AM
after the DS sign - the second time through, you skip the #1 ending and go directly from the measure in front of it to the #2 ending.  i used to get very confused about this sort of thing with choir music.  the choir was singing one thing and i was playing something else - but usually caught myself and reattached to the second time through.  my husband has a lot of songs that are like this as well.  also, as bernhard says - usually right after the #2 ending you have a da capo sign which means SKIP everything in between and now go to the ending with the same DC sign and play to the end.

bernhard just doesn't want me to catch up to his posting.  according to him, i already have because of my posts as 'pianonut.'  no worries, bernhard.  you have quite a following.  albeit sufferring following.  i would count myself among them.  just kidding.  about the sufferring.  i have been released from sufferring by my children.  'little bear' and things like - repeated enough times makes one's head hurt.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 02:08:00 AM
only 114 more posts to go bernhard.  why don't you go take a break over there?  i'll just keep posting recipies or something.

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 07:01:55 AM

First the repeats. No, you do not repeat all the repeats again whenyou get to the D.S. and back to the symbol. First time round, yes, do all repeats. But once you go back, just play straight through to the end.

Bernhard.

I would assume Bernhard is correct, he usually is, but at least in some music standard practice is a bit different.

I am more familiar with wind ensemble music.  Typically there is a distinction between the DC, where you do repeat the repeats, and the DS, where you do not.  Or is it the other way around?  Seriously, it is not uncommon for this to be debated during a rehearsal, as there is no obvious way to remember which is which. 

Some repeats and DCs are formulaic, e.g. playing a march.  It is part of the structure.

Others are apparently designed only to save ink, or maybe prevent going to multiple pages.  German band music (Blasmusik) is particularly bad in that respect.  We call it the "road map," for multiple sections, each with repeated subsections, DS and coda, and overall DC and coda.  (Coda may include repeats and DS's.)  If you do not limit your beer intake, you find it impossible to sightread this music without getting lost. 
Tim

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 02:48:26 PM
do you realize that if you did those repeats (2x) by the time you got done you'd have done four?  do people really want to listen to all that - when the composer may have intended to take the first ending the first time and the second ending the second time - and to skip to the end the second time for the coda?  take it from an accompanist!

ps  sometimes with classical music you have short four or eight bar phrases that can be repeated - so i'm  not saying bernhard is wrong.  i'm just saying that if it is a modern piece of music and looks like it has a thousand repeats - try to minimize them.  sometimes you have to see the score to determine what is necessary for that piece of music.  or, what sounds right.  or what is intended.

for choral music - repeats with 1------- and 2 ------ mean what i wrote above.  you don't suddenly go from ending one straight through to ending 2 - but would go back to the sign or beginning (if no sign) and play until you got to one measure before the 1-----.  then you skip it (since you played it the first time) and go directly to the second ending.  also, usually, the 1------ ending leads you to the rest of the song (without coda) so when you play the second time through with the second ending - you keep your eyes peeled for the Da capo sign which leads you to skip some parts and go to an ending.

ps i would write in little messages to myself - as (go to page 1 or 2) or (go to the coda) and mark with red arrows so you don't play straight through the second time.

Offline Floristan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 07:10:46 PM
....Now for the second question. Your questions are good, but

i. Perhaps no one knows the answer. :-[
ii. They are not about aliens / bible interpretation / who is gay? and other subjects of great relevance to piano playing, so no one feels inclined to answer. ::)
iii. Perhaps no one saw your posts, since the moment they appear in the 30 last posts, they immediately are moved out by pianistimos 798 posts a day. (I myself stumbled on to it pretty much by chance). ;)

Best wishes,
Bernhard.

Very droll, very droll.  8)  Pianistimo's logorrhea is becoming legendary.  I skip over virtually everything she contributes as I've learned it is either a) without substance or b) off topic or c) about religion -- often all three.   ;)   No problem.  It's like skipping over the commercials in something I've TiVo-ed.  ;D

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 06:27:52 AM
do you realize that if you did those repeats (2x) by the time you got done you'd have done four?  do people really want to listen to all that -

Well, yes they do, if they are dancing.  There are more commercial gigs out there than solo concerto ones.  I have neither the talent nor interest to perform the latter, but dinners and dances are fun and usually have free beer. 

I forgot to mention though.  I commonly see three endings:  first, second, and folge.  Folge is the German word for follow, and it means go on.  Part of that road map. 
Tim
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert