Piano Forum

Topic: Double major in Piano Performance  (Read 2313 times)

Offline kaiwin

• PS Silver Member
Double major in Piano Performance
on: September 11, 2006, 07:06:15 PM
Anyone double major in Piano Performance? What is your other major? I want to double major in Piano Performance  ;D

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Double major in Piano Performance
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 07:10:27 PM
great idea.  having met you (yes, i remember you - you had all that yummy lox on the table when we had that get together - and the huge aquarium) i think that you could pull it off easily.  very easily.  maybe one extra year or something - but aren't the basic requirements for degrees similar.  perhaps talking to a counselor and working out a couple of class requirements in your favor (toward one or the other degree- but being applicable for both).  it never hurts to ask!

the extra year could be time you set aside ONLY for performance and music related classes.  you'll probably find that the easiest and hardest year of your life.  the hardest is the day of your recital.  but, you can even schedule the recital at the beginning of the next school year!  the first three-four years you practice as you normally would.  a full recital takes a lot of planning - so get right to it!  one performance recital i saw last year had full programs - but combined with another student.  that way, they could each take a break between several pieces.

Offline nortti

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 09:21:13 PM
I'd like to get another degree in math or physics or CS or something 8)

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 02:18:03 AM
'Tis possible I may double major with music composition  8)

All music, almost all the time.

Phil

Offline kaiwin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 04:28:16 AM
yes, i remember you - you had all that yummy lox on the table when we had that get together - and the huge aquarium

ehh?haha

Any more suggestions

Offline dnephi

Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 02:57:46 PM
I'm in physics and mathematics and getting a degree in music too would take at least 2 more years.  I wouldn't dare.
For us musicians, the music of Beethoven is the pillar of fire and cloud of mist which guided the Israelites through the desert.  (Roughly quoted, Franz Liszt.)

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 01:17:27 AM
Why would anyone want to become a professional student?
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 02:47:52 AM
to support a habit?  of course, some artists like you don't seem to be limited by the seeming boundaries of life and make their own course.  but, wouldn't you say it is much harder?  i don't know.  all i know is that for my own life - piano has been hobby money.  many times i have played for free.  i just love music -but sometimes loving it doesn't result in the dollars for actual energy expended.

Offline jamie0168

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 04:25:53 PM
I double majoed in piano performance and clarinet performance during my freshman and sophomore years and passed with flying colors. However, I dropped clarinet my junior year because playing an hour long recital twice a year is quite difficult. Eventually, you'll probably figure out which one you like best because most pianists don't have time for another major. Good luck.

Offline invictious

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 10:10:49 AM
All music, almost all the time.

Phil

Tut tut, the way I play John Cage's 4'33'' sounds very different from all recordings.

but really, if I have the choice and ability, it's be medical and music for me
Bach - Partita No.2
Scriabin - Etude 8/12
Debussy - L'isle Joyeuse
Liszt - Un Sospiro

Goal:
Prokofiev - Toccata

>LISTEN<

Offline Motrax

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 09:01:24 PM
I'm majoring in Chemistry and Piano Performance. It's tough going, and I'll have to do an extra semester or two (I could technically graduate in 4 years, but I think I'll get a lot more out of my education by spreading classes out a bit).

I simply can't drop either major; I love science and I love music. I'm kept very, very busy - I don't necessarily have the time to do everything I'd like to do, but I think it will have been a rewarding experience, looking back.

What sort of non-piano degrees are you interested in? There's a big difference between chemistry and piano or journalism and piano.
"I always make sure that the lid over the keyboard is open before I start to play." --  Artur Schnabel, after being asked for the secret of piano playing.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 09:37:53 PM
Double major?  Just for the heck of it?  The ones I've seen usually are into another field like math or science and take music very seriously as a hobby.

You might be able to double major in piano pedagogy and performance.  That's a good way to go I think.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline gruffalo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 10:40:41 PM
Im hoping for a dual career in piano and Opera. I compose aswell, but not so much at the moment. I have a place for next year at university to study electronic engineering, but i have to choose between music and engineering. im on a gap year doing music + part time job and i have to decide by the end of the year. I know what i want to do, but not sure what i should do.

Gruff
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert