Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin prelude Op.28 num 20 ( video clip )  (Read 5752 times)

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Chopin prelude Op.28 num 20 ( video clip )
on: September 15, 2006, 05:15:41 PM

https://www.youtube.com/user/reehz

Video ov me playing Chopin. Comments are very welcome
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin prelude Op.28 num 20 ( video clip )
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 09:58:34 PM
It's like often when I watch youtube videos or listen to audition room recordings. I think yoou're using the wrong editions. There are a few notes in this reading that don't appear in any of the urtext editions I know. Bar 2 the upper sixteenth in r.h. should be db. Bar 8, first chord: I don't know why the upper note here is a g in your version. I've never heard that. The chord should be eb ab c eb. Likewise in Bar 12. I like your tempo. Though you start slower than you actually intend to play it I think. I like how you play bar 5. There the rhythm is good and also the voicing. In the beginning it sounds a little bit dysbalanced. I like it more, when the bass is not too loud and the melody comes out more. I got used to think 4 sixteenth notes passing by in any of the quarters and three sixteenth notes in the dotted eighths. When i try to apply this to your recording sometimes it goes to fast and sometimes too slow(except the two ritenutos of course). Your bar five should serve you as an example how you should treat the rhythm in the whole piece. Then it would be nice if the third line (or 9-12), where it's marked pp would be very soft, like an echo of the second line. To get the chords after the sixteenth notes faster i stay close to the keys. Hope this helps!

Greetings

pianowolfi

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 05:41:14 AM
Great tone, temperment and emotion. It's real music.  :D

Now stop hitting wrong notes!  ::)
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 07:14:32 AM
. Bar 2 the upper sixteenth in r.h. should be db. Bar 8, first chord: I don't know why the upper note here is a g in your version.

The version am using is Augeners's Edition which i bought 1o years ago. Not sure why you hear a g in this chord, because it would sound very diminished, the chord which i play is an a flat chord,so the top note is e flat. Anyway thanks a lot for taking the time to comment, i found what you mentioned about the rythm very intresting,also what you said about staying close to the keys. :)

arensky that makes me very happy when you mention its reall music, because thats the most important thing,the rest does'nt matter. The thing about hitting wrong notes, well maybe one day. ;)

All the best.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 09:08:07 AM
  The version am using is Augeners's Edition which i bought 1o years ago. Not sure why you hear a g in this chord

Then it's the sound quality, sounds like a g there, at least on my computer.

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 09:11:01 AM

arensky that makes me very happy when you mention its reall music, because thats the most important thing,the rest does'nt matter. The thing about hitting wrong notes, well maybe one day. ;)

All the best.

Yeah music is the most important and the right notes are part of the music too. The sooner you get that the better, 'tis the objective standard we are judged by.  :)

Get the whole package happening, why not?  ;)
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 01:33:27 PM
very Good.  :) I just wish the last section would be a little more pp. Thnaks for sharing!

Offline m

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 06:30:58 PM
The thing about hitting wrong notes, well maybe one day. ;)

You will be surprised, but once you change this attitude of "may be one day", you will become a much better pianist. :)

I'd suggest playing the whole piece not from above, but from the keys, deeply sinking the whole weight of your hand into the keys bottom, so the rhythm of your pianistic gesture would follow and be woven with the natural pace of the piece.
This way first, you won't have any problems with rhythm, as then you will "physically feel" it with your whole body; second, you want have any problems with the wrong notes, as your fingers will be prepared for the right position; and most of all, third, the sound will be nice, deep, long, and round.

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 06:53:26 PM
I'd suggest playing the whole piece not from above, but from the keys,

When i first started learning the piano i would do that, but more recently i find droping the LH in octave passage a very effortless way of creating a big sound.Anyway you will have to be more specific when you say wrong not,which one exactly? Thanks for the comments.

Offline m

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 07:27:18 PM
  When i first started learning the piano i would do that, but more recently i find droping the LH in octave passage a very effortless way of creating a big sound.

I don't insist ;)... just saying what I thought.

Anyway you will have to be more specific when you say wrong note, which one exactly? Thanks for the comments.

00.05-- something wrong with C minor chord. 00.16--instead of D natural on top of the third should be D flat. 00.52--you play A flat chord with G in the middle voice, and the same when you repeat.

Hope it helps.

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 07:46:52 PM
00.05-- something wrong with C minor chord. 00.16--instead of D natural on top of the third should be D flat. 00.52--you play A flat chord with G in the middle voice, and the same when you repeat.

Hope it helps.

Well at 00.05 it is a f minor chord, at 00.16 we have an a flat chord, also at 00.52 it is a flat.
This is funy and intresting as to why we hear different things,though i dont doubt your judgment since you are an outstanding pianist. All the  best ;)

Offline m

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 08:00:51 PM
Well at 00.05 it is a f minor chord.

My bad. I meant at 00.10. Sorry for confusion.

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 08:15:27 PM
  Ok pianowolfi, marik and arensky i got my magnifying glasses out looked at the notes a hundred times, and yes finally spoted what you guys were saying, sheesh that took a long time. Three wrong notes, plus a tempo im-balance, man you guys will make  frightning piano judges. I suffer mild dyslexia so my eyes tell me one thing and my ears another thing. (almost a month)

many thanks guys. :o

Offline rimv2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 07:40:55 AM
  When i first started learning the piano i would do that, but more recently i find droping the LH in octave passage a very effortless way of creating a big sound.Anyway you will have to be more specific when you say wrong not,which one exactly? Thanks for the comments.

Bring more of the melody out. It was nearly killed at moments.
(\_/)                     (\_/)      | |
(O.o)                   (o.O)   <(@)     
(>   )> Ironically[/url] <(   <)

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: October 19, 2006, 09:45:38 AM
Bring more of the melody out. It was nearly killed at moments.

I disagree, all one can do is bring out the the top notes, for me it is not much of a melody, i find the harmony more intresting. Different taste thats all.

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: October 19, 2006, 10:58:29 AM
Quite nice.
But you really have to read what pianowolfi said!
I understand your last reply, but your bass kills all the harmony pretty much and you can hardly hear the melody at all.

gyzzzmo

1+1=11

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: October 19, 2006, 12:52:19 PM
Quite nice.
But you really have to read what pianowolfi said!
I understand your last reply, but your bass kills all the harmony pretty much and you can hardly hear the melody at all.

gyzzzmo

Fair enough,  shall keep it in mind, and yes pianowolfi has amazingly sharp ear great comments from him.

Offline gruffalo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: October 19, 2006, 07:03:50 PM
i liked it. i enjoyed your tempo. the main thing which i want to point out which i really yearned to listen to was the melody. though the harmony, as you pointed out, is incredibly interesting and you made it sound great, the melody MUST MUST MUST come out more. its almost like i have to strain my ears to hear it, and an audience shouldnt have to do that.

apart from that, good job! a little more work and you have yourself a great job on this piece. i didnt mention the wrong notes because they had already been covered by others.

gruff

Offline rimv2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: October 21, 2006, 09:35:44 AM
  I disagree, all one can do is bring out the the top notes, for me it is not much of a melody, i find the harmony more intresting. Different taste thats all.

You dare to disagree with meh >:(

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jammit how ya love it ;)
(\_/)                     (\_/)      | |
(O.o)                   (o.O)   <(@)     
(>   )> Ironically[/url] <(   <)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert