Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: NEC Audition  (Read 1566 times)

Offline bachmaninov

• PS Silver Member
NEC Audition
on: September 16, 2006, 05:37:54 AM
I've always wanted to get into New England Conservatory in Boston, and here is what I plan on auditioning with. Please comment and tell me what you think of this combination.

Bach - Prelude and Fugue C# Major (Required Baroque WTC)
Beethoven - Sonata op 81a (Required Classical Sonata)
Liszt - Hungarian Rhapsody No. 6 (Required Substantial Romantic)
Lecuona - Ante El Escorial (Required 20th Century)
Liszt - Transcendental Etude No. 8 'Wilde Jagd' (Required 'fast' etude)

Thanks.

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Re: NEC Audition
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 05:55:23 AM
This is challenging rep and if you can play this program well you stand an excellent chance of being accepted. They may not like the Lecuona as 20th century, they probably want to hear something from Prokofiev and Bartok or later. Lecuona is a romantic writing in the 20th century, like Rachmaninov. I would reconsider that selection.
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline kriskicksass

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 05:32:51 PM
I'm planning on auditioning at NEC, too. Here's my rep:

Bach - P&F in G minor (Bk I)
Beethoven - Sonata Op. 109
Chopin - Scherzo in B-flat minor
Debussy - Fireworks
Liszt - Un Sospiro

(Looks like my rep's a little easier than yours. Oh well.)

Good luck!

Offline Pumkinhead

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 11:42:40 PM
Both of your repertoire is fine. Just make sure you play it extremely well.
I got into NEC with the Bach P + F No. 3 in C sharp Major, Beethoven's Tempest, Mendelssohn Variation Serieuse, Dello joio Capriccio, and the Ocean Etude.

Ya see? I definately didn't have the Gaspards and Chopin Sonata like the guy before me did, or the Scriabin 5 and Beethoven 101 of the guy after me, but I played with conviction and musical understanding (according to two of the jury members). The hardest repertoire won't get you in, but playing every piece Perfectly will. That's my advice for you guys.

Offline bachmaninov

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 05:23:19 AM
Thank you for your advice pumpkinhead! That makes me feel more confident heading in to my auditions next year...

I also have put arensky's comment under consideration... And I might bring back my Prokofiev Toccata for my 20th century work... but that takes away that sense of "uniqueness" i had before with the Lecuona.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert