Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: how about the most prestigious amateur competition?  (Read 4107 times)

Offline violinist

• PS Silver Member
how about the most prestigious amateur competition?
on: September 16, 2006, 08:20:37 AM
I just recently learned that there's amateur piano competitions.  Never heard of any such things for violin.

A friend of mine told me his goal was to one day enter the Van Cliburn Amateur competition.

I figure that would be one of the most if not  the most prestigious....

There's one in France... concourse something or other.... which is supposedly the original?

So here are my questions:

1. Which is the most prestigious amateur piano competition.
2. Which are some prestigious amateur piano comepetitions.
3. Are recordings available of the winners? If so, are they downloadable somewhere on the web?
4. Any intersting stories of fame and glory happen to the winners?

Practice!

Offline dnephi

Re: how about the most prestigious amateur competition?
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 11:33:08 AM
Van Cliburn Amateur, I hear, is world class.  You practically need to be on the level of the normal Van Cliburn winners to win  :).
2. There's an amateur Chopin competition in Chicago I believe
3. Don't know
4. A reward, public recognition, and the ability to give concerts that one that one would never give because one chose a different field.  I don't know any particulars.

Check out the van cliburn site.
For us musicians, the music of Beethoven is the pillar of fire and cloud of mist which guided the Israelites through the desert.  (Roughly quoted, Franz Liszt.)

Offline orlandopiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 02:21:19 PM
Van Cliburn Amateur, I hear, is world class.  You practically need to be on the level of the normal Van Cliburn winners to win  :).
2. There's an amateur Chopin competition in Chicago I believe
3. Don't know
4. A reward, public recognition, and the ability to give concerts that one that one would never give because one chose a different field.  I don't know any particulars.

Check out the van cliburn site.

I know a doctor who was a finalist at one of  the Van Cliburn Amateur competitions a few years ago. He said the competitors are pretty much technically sound, but usually have less impressive repertoires because they are professionals in other fields who "play on the side". Dentists, Attorneys, etc...

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 04:11:11 PM
  Hmmmmmmmm, some of these amatures will be playing Liszt sonata, Rach's 3rd PC to a very high level, possibly better than most pro pianist.
  In the Uk, the Yamaha piano competiton for outstanding amatures consisted of 6 -7 finalist's they were professors, computer scientists accountants ect. They played things like Ravel's Gaspar de la nuite (spelling not sure) Bach P&F and sonatas. Standard is very high and the jury will have some famous musician to bring people in. Good luck. :)
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline dnephi

Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 05:00:59 PM
I know a doctor who was a finalist at one of  the Van Cliburn Amateur competitions a few years ago. He said the competitors are pretty much technically sound, but usually have less impressive repertoires because they are professionals in other fields who "play on the side". Dentists, Attorneys, etc...
That's quite interesting.

My piano teacher mentioned the Van Cliburn Amateur competition to me.  I am a physics student but becoming a doctor, and so this is the kind of thing that is exactly what I want to do. 
Can you perhaps, orlandopiano, find out if those who win this competition actually get hired and perform elsewhere, or even tour?  That's something I would like to know.
For us musicians, the music of Beethoven is the pillar of fire and cloud of mist which guided the Israelites through the desert.  (Roughly quoted, Franz Liszt.)

Offline jehangircama

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 05:37:27 PM
How difficult is it to get into the Van Cliburn amatuer competition? the age limit is 35 i think, so if you start early i guess its possible to have a shot at it. but the professional winners get a huge award for winning, a no. of concerts etc.

That's quite interesting.

My piano teacher mentioned the Van Cliburn Amateur competition to me. I am a physics student but becoming a doctor, and so this is the kind of thing that is exactly what I want to do.
Can you perhaps, orlandopiano, find out if those who win this competition actually get hired and perform elsewhere, or even tour? That's something I would like to know.

hey i'm a physics student too (becoming a biotechnologist prob.) :D
You either do or do not. There is no try- Yoda

Life is like a piano, what you get out of it depends on how you play it

Offline cloches_de_geneve

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 06:26:55 PM
Check out this one guys: www.ipac-berlin.com
I wouldn't mind having Sir Simon Rattle personally handing me over the prize!
"It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it." -- Glenn Gould

Offline cloches_de_geneve

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 06:42:19 PM
Here is another one ...
www.bostonpianoamateurs.org
"It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it." -- Glenn Gould

Offline viking

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 08:38:57 PM

There's one in France... concourse something or other.... which is supposedly the original?

Haha I know the person who won the france amateur competition this year, Thomas Yu.  He's from my city in Canada, and took lessons from my former piano teacher for over 10 years.  Just thought i'd mention this...
Sam

Offline orlandopiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 02:57:41 AM
How difficult is it to get into the Van Cliburn amatuer competition? the age limit is 35 i think,

I am pretty sure this doctor was well over 35. Maybe I am thinking of different competition. I am almost positive it was part of the Van Cliburn Foundation.

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 07:53:14 AM
35 is the minimum.  There is no maximum.
Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert