Piano Forum logo
November 17, 2018, 11:14:17 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Twelve Nocturnes and a Waltz

Critically-acclaimed American pianist Robert Henry presents his highly anticipated debut recording “Twelwe Nocturnes and a Waltz“. Released in 2010, this recording is a compilation of some of the world’s best loved melodies, featuring Nocturnes of Chopin, Fauré, Grieg, Liszt and many others, including the world premiere of Alexei Stanchinsky’s forgotten Nocturne from 1907. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bach - Prelude no.18... Isn't this a fugue ?  (Read 3237 times)
kghayesh
PS Silver Member

« on: September 28, 2006, 12:07:40 PM »

Check Prelude no.18 in G# minor from book 1. Isn't this a fugue. Watch the theme repeated so many times all over the piece. It is full of counterpoint also.

I just want to know how this is not a fugue ?
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

piano sheet music of Prelude & Fugue
phil13
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 03:46:32 PM »

Because the definiton of a fugue is that it has a distinct, fugal exposition, in which all of the voices play the subject and its answer one after another (the subject has to be stated by itself the first time it is played).

Prelude No.7 in Eb from Book I is a fugue- in fact, it is a double fugue since it has two subjects. But Prelude No.18 is not. The theme could be all that is played through an entire work. That makes it concentrated, not fugal.  Smiley

Phil
kghayesh
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 12:11:53 PM »

Thanks. Now I understood why it is not a fugue !!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: