Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Bach performers  (Read 1335 times)

Offline amanfang

• PS Silver Member
Bach performers
on: September 29, 2006, 07:56:41 PM
What performers would be considered having "Romantic" interpretations of Bach's music?  I'm specifically looking for P&F (yes both, not just the prelude) No. 1 in C from WTC I. 

Who would be considered more of a modern performer?  I would say purist, but I'm looking more for piano than harpsichord, and most of the purists would only consider harpsichord. 
When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do.

Offline mephisto

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bach performers
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 08:26:29 PM
Romantic:

Edwin Fischer and Samuil Feinberg

Modern:

Angela Hewitt and Tureck. Modern in the sense that they studied how to perform baroque music correctly.

Others:

Glenn Gould, Richter

Hope this helps.

Offline burstroman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 03:35:36 AM
Arrau, who is a favorite of mine, always causes me to smile when I think of his playing of the Sinfonia #15.  The rubato at the beginning is too sweet! :D

Offline amanfang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 01:14:42 AM
Well, I'm actually for a piece that has been recorded with some pretty extreme differences in interpretation.  I want something with a "Romantic interpretation" something "modern" and then I'll probably look for authentic, though I'm most likely to use Landowska, etc. and then of course, Gould would fall into the "other" category.  Would the Goldberg variations give me more to work with than WTC?  Or a different piece?
When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do.

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 01:44:20 AM
Check out Busoni's.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert