Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Pianists that can play more difficult works then people believe.  (Read 2708 times)

Offline sevencircles

• PS Silver Member
Some people tend to think that pianists usually record and perform the most demanding works they learned but that is not always the case.

People also tend to believe that believe that a pianist who only performed and recorded a few works have a limited repertoire.

An example of a pianist that, according to rumours, has only performed a small fraction of his repertoire is Ivo Pogorelich.

Offline brewtality

• PS Silver Member
Re: Pianists that can play more difficult works then people believe.
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 12:29:45 PM
according to rumours Pogo was in a nuthouse and is a homosexual who married to deflect suspicion. Should we believe those ones too?

I'd say that small rep pianists are usually insane perfectionists. That is if we are talking about great pianists with small reps (ABM, Lhevinne etc). The others are just a bit sheet.

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 12:35:12 PM
according to rumours Pogo was in a nuthouse and is a homosexual

O good am going to have to stop watching homsexual pianists.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline sevencircles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 04:37:22 PM
according to rumours Pogo was in a nuthouse and is a homosexual who married to deflect suspicion. Should we believe those ones too?

There are always rumours like the ones above if you are a worldrenowned artist.

The positive and noncontroversial rumours are usually more likely to be true.

Offline brewtality

• PS Silver Member
I'd say they are all equally unlikely. Obviously he would play a lot more stuff in private, but would they be any good? Pogo probably plays them too "normal" for his taste. I doubt he has an Arrau level rep which he chooses not to play.

Offline sevencircles

• PS Silver Member
Obviously he would play a lot more stuff in private, but would they be any good? Pogo probably plays them too "normal" for his taste. I doubt he has an Arrau level rep which he chooses not to play.

Why do you think that?

Pogo is without any doubt an unusual human being and an extremely dedicated pianist when it comes to actually playing the piano (not in public though).

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 07:34:29 PM
How is this relevant to his technical abilities?

In normal repertoire, I heard his play the Chopin scherzo no3, it told me everything I'd need to know about most of his technique.
Which is to say, his tech is rather insane.
Da SDC Piano Forum :
https://www.dasdc.net/

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 07:38:42 PM
I'd say that small rep pianists are usually insane perfectionists. That is if we are talking about great pianists with small reps (ABM, Lhevinne etc). The others are just a bit sheet.

Yes, but if ABM were to play all of his private repertoire in public, it wouldn't be so perfect.

The smaller the repertoire(like Yundi Li too) - the safer the performances.
Da SDC Piano Forum :
https://www.dasdc.net/

Offline webern78

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 09:47:28 PM
Pogorelich is a marvel to listen to in the two Chopin recordings i have of him (preludes and scherzos), but his Beethoven Opus 111 wasn't very convincing. Far too mannered for my tastes and from what i hear this seems to be his current artistic direction. :-\

Offline pianowelsh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 12:21:57 AM
naturally they can. pianists probably only show typically a third of the repertoire that they have active when it comes to recording - quite possibly less in many cases.

Offline gonzalo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 01:56:09 AM
Rosalyn Tureck played some Liszt.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 03:41:03 AM
Some people tend to think that pianists usually record and perform the most demanding works they learned but that is not always the case.

People also tend to believe that believe that a pianist who only performed and recorded a few works have a limited repertoire.

An example of a pianist that, according to rumours, has only performed a small fraction of his repertoire is Ivo Pogorelich.

I don't understand your post.  What's your point?  It reads like these generic news magazines in Amerika that present both sides of an argument so superficially you can't even judge fairly between the two.

We can only judge a tree by its fruit, so if you never hear a pianist play something which they claim to, you can't judge them by it!

Walter Ramsey

Offline burstroman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 02:06:38 AM
I haven't heard many recordings of Pogo..., but the ones I really liked were his performance of Chopin's 3rd Scherzo and the 2nd Sonata of Chopin (especially the "Funeral March" and the last movement.

Offline chromatickler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 02:01:50 PM
joyce hatto  8)

Offline sevencircles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 08:29:05 PM
Pogo  still practice as much as possible when he got the time.

Snailtempo a whole lot these days but he can play fast as hell if he wants to.

If he doesn´t feel that he can provide anything that feels original he wont record the piece or even play it in public.

You always have to remember that "Hearing him live is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you gonna get"

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert