Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Brahms' Piano Concertos  (Read 14143 times)

Offline tompilk

• PS Silver Member
Brahms' Piano Concertos
on: October 29, 2006, 10:34:41 PM
Hi,
I recently came across Hamelin's new recording of the Brahms Piano Concerto No. 2 and was amazed by the performance. I really love it! However, I had previously (months ago) listened to Hough's performances of both concertos and discarded it after 2-3 hrs, and I've thought for months that I found these pieces boring! I found it boring even when i kept listening!
How do I love one recording yet get bored by another so badly i see it as a waste of time to listen to?
Also, I have had the general feel that people prefer the first concerto, is this true? What is the general opinion on these pieces, from the public? (i.e. Rachmaninov 2 is more popular than 1 &4 etc.). I find the first concerto boring, however maybe i'll enjoy it lots if i find a good performance!
I am somewhat confused by this!
Tom
Working on: Schubert - Piano Sonata D.664, Ravel - Sonatine, Ginastera - Danzas Argentinas

Offline Waldszenen

• PS Silver Member
Re: Brahms' Piano Concertos
Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 02:42:17 AM
Simple truth - both of his concerti, whether you regard them as boring or magnificent, are two of Brahms' greatest compositions.

Whether you regard a piece as "boring" or not shouldn't depend on the performance, because that means you're judging the interpretation and not the music.
Fortune favours the musical.

Offline debussy symbolism

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 02:52:05 AM
Greetings.

Music does grow on me, so whatever I find "boring" then isn't "boring" now. "Boring" is of course in quotations to undeline it's relativety.

I think that an individual performance does indeed play a role. Not too long ago I completed a "short" Bach piece. I could just play the notes without any consideration of the music, but was amazed at how the piece sounded when I "assigned" certain musical elements such as an imitation of certain orchestral instruments, individual voices, key changes, motifes, mordents, trills, character, etc.

Best.

Offline presto agitato

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 05:13:03 AM
Beethoven´s num 4 in G major and Brahm´s Num 1 in D minor are the best ´piano concertos ever composed. Get the recording by Gilels.
The masterpiece tell the performer what to do, and not the performer telling the piece what it should be like, or the cocomposer what he ought to have composed.

--Alfred Brendel--

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 06:43:57 AM
Beethoven´s num 4 in G major and Brahm´s Num 2 in Bb major are the best ´piano concertos ever composed. Get the recording by Gilels.
fixed.

Offline jre58591

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 06:53:50 AM
haha you people generalize too much.
Please Visit: https://www.pianochat.co.nr
My YouTube Videos: https://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=jre58591

Offline apion

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 07:58:20 AM
Forget the Hough recording.  For Brahms 2, listen to Gilels, Fleischer or Richter.  For Brahms 1, go for Curzon/Szell; Serkin/Szell; Fleischer/Szell; Cliburn/Leinsdorf; Bishop/Sawallisch.

Brahms 2 is widely regarded by professional pianists as the greatest piano concerto ever written, and it is fiendishly difficult.  Personally, I think Brahms #1 is greater, but I realize that I'm in the minority.

These concerti are NOT boring -- in fact, they're the exact opposite of that: they are ON FIRE and highly engrossing.

Beethoven´s num 4 in G major and Brahm´s Num 1 in D minor are the best ´piano concertos ever composed. Get the recording by Gilels.

I agree

Offline kempff1234

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 01:32:20 PM
Forget Hough. My fav brahms 2 recording is Edwin Fischer with Furtwangler. Also Arrau is quite good as well.

Offline Waldszenen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 11:33:33 AM
rahms 2 is widely regarded by professional pianists as the greatest piano concerto ever written, and it is fiendishly difficult.

More difficult than the Rach 3 according to some.

Offline avetma

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 12:30:26 PM
My favourite Rach concertos are 3 > 1 > 4 / 2. And I can't stand any recording except Hough. Including Hamelin and other 'great' names.

Offline apion

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 01:47:12 PM
And I can't stand any recording except Hough. Including Hamelin and other 'great' names.

Lost cause

Offline avetma

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 04:12:04 PM

Offline dnephi

Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 05:46:35 PM
I've heard three Rach 1 and the best was Zimerman.  I prefer Zimerman's Rachmaninoff 2 to the Gilels, and I prefer Rachmaninoff and Volodos, as different perspectives on the Rachmaninoff 3.  I really just don't like the fourth.
For us musicians, the music of Beethoven is the pillar of fire and cloud of mist which guided the Israelites through the desert.  (Roughly quoted, Franz Liszt.)

Offline letters

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 07:02:01 PM
i really like barenboims brahms concertos. I was never that fussed about the first one until i watched a performance of it on telly in the leeds piano competition -- i think he went on to win?? Then it was really exciting. Theyre just quite intense and long so you do have to concentrate!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline Waldszenen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 03:46:18 AM
Lost cause

LOL, or just plain confused. ;)

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: November 02, 2006, 06:53:19 PM
I'll take you Hough discarded CDs, btw.  I like them.
Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  :)

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: November 02, 2006, 08:59:53 PM
apion,  of the choices you mentioned - which one is your favorite?  without having heard them all - i'm thinking that mine would be serkin/szell.  i heard that szell was quite a perfectionist with the cleveland orchestra and nothing could get by him.  although, now that i've had time to reflect on brahms a bit more - i think barry douglas could do a good job by him.

did anyone hear andre watts recent performance?  i think christoph eschenbach conducted here at the kimmel center in philly.

Offline apion

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: November 03, 2006, 04:51:32 AM
apion,  of the choices you mentioned - which one is your favorite?  without having heard them all - i'm thinking that mine would be serkin/szell. 

Overall, I like the Curzon/Szell and Serkin/Szell the best.

Curzon/Szell captures the concerto's drama and power the best; Serkin/Szell is the most "balanced" version (intellectual vs. emotional).  Both are stunningly perfect. 

now that i've had time to reflect on brahms a bit more - i think barry douglas could do a good job by him.

Barry Douglas (with Stanislaw Skrowaczewski & LSO) is very good.  Better than the recent release by Zimerman/Rattle (DG).

Offline redone198

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: October 04, 2010, 05:51:49 PM
You can try Stephen Kovacevich's Brahms Concerto as well, if you want to understand the piece from different perspectives.

Offline scottmcc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 09:51:39 AM
at the original poster:  have you read the liner notes to the Brahms 2nd concerto?  Apparently the sonata was a bit of a love letter from Mr Brahms to Mrs Clara Schumann, much to the consternation of her husband.  Apparently they never really had an affair, just much steamy talk and writing of difficult music.  Who says the romantic era was boring?  Incidentally, Robert Schumann intedended to dedicate his romances op 28 to some other girl (not Clara), so he's clearly not without fault in the salaciousness (in the end they were published without a dedication).

While I like both concerti, I prefer the 2nd, and I agree with what others have said--it's a fiery beast!

Offline camstrings

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: October 05, 2010, 03:36:22 PM
Regarding the 1st concerto, Brahms arranged it for single piano, 4 hands.
There is a great version recorded by Stefania Redaelli & Sergio Lettes on the Warner label. See what you think! 

Offline philb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 12:09:13 AM
I really just don't like the fourth.

What?!?!?  :o

Offline orangesodaking

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 02:22:46 AM
They are the best piano concertos ever!!! I play the first concerto, and it's my all-time favorite piece of music.

John Ogdon owns the 1st concerto, and Alicia de Larrocha owns the 2nd. Forget Gilels and Richter and Serkin.

Offline montygolfear

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 09:09:20 AM
They are the best piano concertos ever!!! I play the first concerto, and it's my all-time favorite piece of music.

John Ogdon owns the 1st concerto, and Alicia de Larrocha owns the 2nd. Forget Gilels and Richter and Serkin.

John Ogdon ?....when was that recorded and with who ?.
Gilles in 1&2 is my favourite set.
If recording quality isn't an issue then Serkin and Szell also do it for me.
Has anyone tried the Bruno Leonardo Gelber versions on EMI?.
Also for some reason Clifford Curzon and Szell seem to be highly rated too.

MG

Offline orangesodaking

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 09:41:46 PM
montygolfear, I don't remember exactly, but it's on my YouTube page in its entirety.

I've heard all of those recordings, they are also fantastic, but Ogdon personally does something deeper for me. Same with de Larrocha in the 2nd (also on YouTube). I HIGHLY recommend hearing de Larrocha in the second concerto, especially the first movement!!!

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 10:37:32 PM

Sorry - I'd challenge you on that. Stephen Kovacevich owns the 1st Piano concerto and Maurizio Pollini owns the 2nd.

Offline orangesodaking

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 11:49:20 AM
^ ^

Well, as long as we agree that those concertos are super-amazing, I don't care whose recording is whose favorite! :)

Offline argerichfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: March 27, 2012, 04:22:48 PM
Forget Gilels and Richter and Serkin.
I just 'happened' to be breezing by this forum and caught OSK red-handed with the above. ^

Three titans in Brahms 2 and they're dismissed with insolent sleight of hand?

The perfidy...  :o

Offline orangesodaking

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 03:19:11 AM
Yup.

I know that you're not always the biggest fan of her playing, but it really has everything that you feel she lacks in other things such as Rach's 3rd or Liszt B Minor or Schumann's Fantasy... It's very, very powerful, very fiery, and in my opinion, much more dramatic, much more held together, and follows MUCH better than anybody else I've ever heard.

Offline tompilk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: March 28, 2012, 02:41:04 PM
Jesus christ, I'm so embarassed that someone's dragged this post up, that I feel compelled to post for the first time in years!

I'll just say that Stephen Hough and the Brahms Concerti have now provided me with some of the most enjoyable experiences of my life. I hardly recognise the person who started this thread!

What an embarassment!
Working on: Schubert - Piano Sonata D.664, Ravel - Sonatine, Ginastera - Danzas Argentinas

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: March 28, 2012, 07:50:10 PM
Gawd, pilky is back.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: March 28, 2012, 08:39:10 PM
Cool, I remember him too! :)

Offline dbrainiak914

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: January 21, 2013, 02:04:18 AM
The third movement of Alicia's Brahms 2 was finally uploaded to YouTube, and it follows her majestic style accordingly.
"The artist will spend months on a Chopin valse.  The student feels injured if he cannot play it in a day." - Vladimir de Pachmann
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert