Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Analysis of Tristan and Isolde's Love theme portion from the prelude  (Read 9220 times)

Offline mdshimazu

• PS Silver Member
I'm using the Kocsis transcription of the prelude to Tristan and Isolde. I'm just interested in measures 16 through 23. Roman numeral analysis is what I'm looking for, figuring out what chords they are was an easy job but I'm absolutely confounded by the keys.

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member

I dont have one, but beings as this was a really significant work interms of harmony, Im sure you'll be able to find one without to much trouble.

Have you done a google?

BB

Offline franzliszt2

• PS Silver Member
Tristan is so hard to analyse, the keys are so complex. I did a bit of work on the prelude for my A level, but not in much detail at all. Thre is so many ambiguities, and nothing is certain. I understand what you mean by the chords and key. I think the actual key of the piece is A minor. As a lot of things suggest it. So I would look towards the key of A minor for some guidence. However I'm not sure what key bar 16 23 are in, so I'm just suggesting A minor might help in some ways.

The best way to look at it is to look at the motifs, ie the opening vello solo, the rising 6th, the falling semitone (or tone, can't remember, aint listened to it or seen score for a long time). See how he transposes them, and that could help with keys and chords as well.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
here's some info - but i don't know if it goes into detail about the keys of the 'love duet.'  haven't read it all. 

www.wagner-dc.org/crosby99_lec.html

here's an analysis of tristan und isolde (but not the transcription)

www.roger.north.btinternet.co.uk/Specpp.html

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
here's another analysis of motives:

www.morethanateacher.com/tristanUndIsolde/motive1-3.php

now i am looking for transcription analysis

hmm.  can't find one at this moment.  but i did find an important music analyzer of tristan und isolde by the name of jean-jacques nattiez.  look him up!  why am i finding things about just intonation?

Offline mdshimazu

• PS Silver Member
Thank you. That second link is a great resource. =)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert