Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Fundamentalism - Why?  (Read 1674 times)

Offline chopiabin

• PS Silver Member
Fundamentalism - Why?
on: January 29, 2004, 05:50:47 AM
I was talking to this extreme Christian today who told me that he wouldn't go see Harry Potter because it was about witchcraft. He believes in witchcraft because the bible mentions it, but I asked if perhaps the people who wrote the bible didn't have our science and believed in magic tricks and Shamanism because they couldn't explain it. He had no answer.

He then supported C.S. Lewis's theory of moral absolutism (the Tao) that says that everyone has an innate sense of right and wrong. I asked, "What if parents tell a kid from a young age that killing is correct if someone is in your way?"  - if the kid does kill someone, is he morally accountable sense he didn't know that it was wrong?

These are a few things I was thinking about today ;)

Offline Clare

• PS Silver Member
Re: Fundamentalism - Why?
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 05:59:11 AM
I would have thought your friend would have had a big problem with C S Lewis because of all the Narnia books he wrote with magic in them.

Offline chopiabin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004, 09:11:39 AM
He said that it was ok because they were metaphors for Christianity, which they are.

Offline Clare

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 12:56:54 AM
Yeah, that's true, but I thought Harry Potter pretty much differentiated between good and evil pretty darn clearly also.

Offline liszmaninopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 01:01:04 AM
The vast majority of the fundamentalists I know (literally dozens) hold so many double standards, and are such terrible hypocrites, it is ridiculous.  I can provide examples, but I won't, as you'll either need respiratory support after the initial laughing spasm, or be frightened witless by ignorance.  

Offline chopiabin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 30, 2004, 02:59:00 AM
Somewhat like Gen 6, who says he does not believe in evolution (on which biological science is based) and then tries to use it to justify a stupid point. I wish he would actually read some modern biology.

Offline schnabels_grandson

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 30, 2004, 03:20:39 AM
What?  I have never used evolution to prove a point.  I have used evolutionist ideas to stimulate thinking.  I request that you support your statement that biological science is based on evolution.  It isn't.  Some biologists believe in evolution.  Some do not.  I think if biologists as a whole knew things that supported evolution beyond a doubt, none of them would disagree with evolution.  
You don't have to eat garbage to know it's garbage.-Old Proverb
A good composer does not imitate; he steals.- Igor Stravinsky

Offline liszmaninopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 30, 2004, 03:24:20 AM
6_Gen is a Christian, and doesn't believe in evolution.  But trust me when I say that compared to quite a few fundamentalists I know, his thoughts are moderate.

Remember, what I am saying here only applies to a small group of people.  I am stating this so that no one is offended.

I know christians who believe this war in Iraq is a holy war, and God is on the americans' side to give them victory over infidels.

I know christians who believe that all religions other than Biblical christianity should be outlawed in America

I know christians who spew hatred (I don't use that word lightly) about any other religion or belief system, who distort facts to support their view, and slander anyone who argues

There are christians out there who, while they may not say it outright, are racist.

Some christians view the environment as nothing other than a tool to be exploited in the remaining years before the rapture.  Cut down the trees, kill the animals, they don't care-caring for the environment or minorities or anything other than themselves is asking too much.

Some christians think we should bring all the Biblical laws back into effect, including all the stonings, etc.

Note that this is a small minority of Christians.  Most are thoroughly reasonable, loving people who lead worthwhile lives, even though I disagree with their basic worldview.  The types that I mentioned above do not really represent Christianity

I am deadly serious about all of these, and many more things.  And what's really sad, almost any criticism they make about anything else could be applied to them, as well.  I don't think (and I'm tremendously glad this is so)that anybody on this forum is like this.

Offline chopiabin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 30, 2004, 04:54:41 AM
Ok, I'm sorry. All biological science that is respected is based off of evolution. Genetics - based off of evolution. Ecology - based off of evolution. Cell biology - based off of evolution. You DID use evolution to "prove" a point when you mentioned that "humans are at the top of the evolutionary food chain."

I just don't understand the adamant denial of something that has tons of observable evidence in its favor. I don't understand why someone can not believe in evolution and the bible simultaneously. Perhaps those who wrote the bible could not explain where animals came from, so they created a creation myth - just like countless other ancient cultures. I know plenty of Christians who believe in evolution - they believe god set it into motion.

Offline trunks

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 10:05:01 AM
I was brought up in a fundamentalist Christian family, fortunately not an extreme one. Dad is a church minister and I only recently realised how full of hate and judgment he has always been holding against alternative views, particularly those he thinks are contradictory against Bible teachings.

Now I see that there are numerous silent areas in the scriptures that the Bible simply leaves blank, but which have been through centuries, even millennia, been branded by the church as being 'black'. Gay/Lesbian love is one good example.

I am Christian and I believe in God. But I also believe that this very God has chosen to love and to respect each and every individual's free will of choice. I also believe that Christian faith should be shared with people rather than dogmatised upon them.
Peter (Hong Kong)
part-time piano tutor
amateur classical concert pianist
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert