Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: -Books from This Site-  (Read 1935 times)

Offline nat

• PS Silver Member
-Books from This Site-
on: February 01, 2004, 07:44:15 PM
Ive seen couple books on sale on this website, i was wondering if anyone had bought any? I would love some comments on which one is good and worth the money. Or which one helped u best.

thanks alot
-nat

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Re: -Books from This Site-
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 02:03:58 AM
On Playing the piano by Gyorgy Sandor. This book is a must have. The subject is notoriously difficult to write about, and yet, Sandor succeeds admirably. And I tend to agree with everything he says. Get it.

Art of the piano video – Highly inspirational. Another must have.

Art of practising by Madeline Bruser. I have mixed feelings about this one. The author is a disciple of Chogyan Trungpa (a Tibethan Buddhist monk who wrote a lot of popular spiritual books back in the 80s). Her style is similar. If you like Trungpa you will like her. There isn’t that much about practising the piano. There is a lot about stretching, yoga and relaxation. Also a huge part of the book is about the violin – which didn’t interest me at all. As far as the physical exercises go I prefer Seymour Fink’s (Mastering Piano Technique – Amadeus Press). As far as practice goes, I found The Practice Revolution (Phillip Johnston) far more useful (or even Chang’s online book). But if you don’t know anything about the sort of thing she talks about it may offer a fresh view I guess.

I have not read the other two.

Best wishes,
Bernhard.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert