Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: trillsection in la campanella  (Read 2044 times)

Offline fredo2

• PS Silver Member
trillsection in la campanella
on: December 14, 2006, 08:17:15 AM
in the edition there is you can download, on pianostreet.com
its from page 6-7
its when you play the melody note with the thumb, and then you trill one octave higher.
my question there is, what fingering should i use.
145 ?alternate, if yes where ?
thx a lot

Offline janka

• PS Silver Member
Re: trillsection in la campanella
Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 08:50:35 AM
Hi I don´t know what exactly you think...but I would play 124...

Offline origin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 10:54:33 AM
I assume you are talking about the trill section that proceeds the chromatic section. Liszt specifically wrote this section to concentrate on trills with fingers 4/5. However, some people might prefer fingers 3/5...

Offline origin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 10:58:49 AM
I just re-read your post and realised that it may be a different version to my own...so please bear that in mind with regards to my last post.

Offline chopiabin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 02:46:49 PM
When I worked on this piece (briefly), I tried to use 3-4 wherever possible, but 4-5 for the rest. 3-5 might also work well in place of 4-5.

Offline grisell

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 09:39:39 AM
I use 2 3 in the fast trill, then change to 4 5 when there are the d sharps below with the thumb then to 3 4 for the rest of the section.
The reasons are that the fast trill should be as fast as possible (I tried 2 3 4 but it didn't work out well); the d sharps with the thumb should be light and not accentuated, and playing the trill 3 4 would probably make your thumb too strong. The stronger thumb is the reason why I shange for the next section where the thumb is playing the melody.
By the way, notice the change in trill speed after the cadenza and before the introduction of the melody in the left hand! This trill should, as I said, be really as fast as possible and could well last for 5-8 seconds, and then changed back to 32-notes in time with the quavers in the melody.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert