2 (8.7%)
Op. 142 #2 in Ab major
0 (0%)
Op. 142 #3 in Bb major
4 (17.4%)
Op.142 #4 in f minor
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Favorite Schubert Impromptu  (Read 6507 times)

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Favorite Schubert Impromptu
on: December 18, 2006, 06:46:10 PM
Vote for your favorite Impromptu, and discuss.

Mine is the c minor from Op. 90. It's incredible how Schubert takes a single idea and creates a whole world out of it, using not much more than modulation and different accompaniment patterns. And the way he uses variation techniques without actualy making variations. Extraordinary music.
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline gonzalo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Favorite Schubert Impromptu
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 07:07:59 PM
I love the elegance of Op.90 #4 in Ab major
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 07:15:10 PM
I love the elegance of Op.90 #4 in Ab major

This one is probably the best known and most played and therefore it gets abused in the way that all frequently played pieces do. I love it when it's elegant, but I've heard this murdered a few times. Many pianists lose the dance character and focus on the RH passagework, while the LH marks time in an uninteresting way. But when well played this one is a joy to hear. I particularly enjoy Rachmaninov's recording of it.
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 09:46:45 PM
No one likes Op.142? The Bb tema con variazioni is my favorite after the c minor from Op.90. An underrated masterpiece, not played very often.
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 25, 2006, 12:54:39 AM
did you know schubert sold the separate imprompu's of op. 90 instead of selling them together as a sonata as he originally intended to do?  made him more money.

i don't know why, but after a while i want to bash schubert.  he was so great with vocal lines - but, the piano music is just boring after a while.  i mean, how many times can you play a syncopated rhythm exactly the same without just getting mesmerized by it and falling over.

ps i'm not myself tonight.  too much eggnog.

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 01:35:07 AM
did you know schubert sold the separate imprompu's of op. 90 instead of selling them together as a sonata as he originally intended to do?  made him more money.

He sold Op.142 that way, actually.

Phil

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 03:17:22 PM
oops.  my mistake, you're right.

also, this morning -- i'm in my schubert loving mind again.  i think if you have 'time' to listen - then schubert is great!  schumann gets to the point faster (shorter pieces) -but there is a lovliness to schubert that is hard to put into words.  he's not after virtuosity so much as 'song.'  perhaps if he had been more pianistic minded - he would have changed some of the repetition to different rhythms - but overall - if someone plays schubert interestingly - it can be very enjoyable to listen to.  i played the second impromptu (allegretto) of the op. 142 at a wedding.  the trio has a sort of lightness to it like butterflies or something. 

Offline mad_max2024

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 25, 2006, 03:26:04 PM
Is there only one of you?
I am perfectly normal, it is everyone else who is strange.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 25, 2006, 03:40:36 PM
well, there could be three of me now.  i mean, what with thal making up quotations for me. but, as i've seen the remorseful thing he wrote - he is now forgiven.  temporarily.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert