Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Bach Fugue in A-flat - some advice please!!  (Read 3824 times)

Offline rtj

• PS Silver Member
Bach Fugue in A-flat - some advice please!!
on: December 21, 2006, 03:59:28 AM
I'm starting to learn the fugue in A-flat major from DWK part 1 for my grade 8 exam which I plan to sit in June. My teacher said to start learning this over the summer break. Problem is, I've hit an awkward passage at bar 7 but I'd like to have worked further than this as my next lesson isn't until February! The problem is to do with fingering (I have comically small hands - an adult male who struggles to reach ninths!!  :-\). Any advice would be appreciated.  :)

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bach Fugue in A-flat - some advice please!!
Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 01:12:50 PM
i have the bischoff version of the A-flat major fugue - and have small hands as well.  in the bischoff edition i think it allows you to use your right hand second finger to 'slide' from the A-flat to the G instead of using another finger.  try it! (going from third beat to fourth beat).  also, you can, if you want - use the bischoff fingering which suggests using the rh thumb twice (from F to G).

ok. so the entire rh fingering from the second half of the second beat goes like this:
1123132212 - 1 (next measure half note)

now in the left hand - don't forget to keep the D a natural on the fourth beat. (you probably already figured this)

the left hand fingering should end on 1 (D natural) at the end of the first beat.  second beat starts on 4. 

Offline amanfang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 07:29:37 PM
Redistribute some - pick up the E-flat with the LH, and then let go of the G for half a beat (in the name of portato touch?), and perhaps do the thumb slide from the F to G.  Not sure.  It is a tricky spot.  Could you use just a touch of pedal in that spot to help you out?
When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do.

Offline rtj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 08:20:12 PM
ok. so the entire rh fingering from the second half of the second beat goes like this:
1123132212 - 1 (next measure half note)

This seems to work much better than what my ancient ABRSM edition suggests. Still going to be one of those phrases I can tell.

Thank you both for the advice!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert