Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Preperation for Chopin Etude Op.10 No.4  (Read 3941 times)

Offline qoppa

Preperation for Chopin Etude Op.10 No.4
on: December 29, 2006, 10:41:36 PM
Hey all
I'd really like to play Chopin's Etude No.4, Op.10, but it currently would be rather difficult, and is more of a dream.  I'm looking for some pieces to build up the technique required in the piece, so that it will be easier when I do finally decide to give it a go.  Also, any pieces that sound reminiscent of it would be nice.  An idea of where I'm at now: I'm currently working on the Pathétique sonata, Lieder ohne Worte Op.19 No.3, and Rach's Moment Musicaux No.3.

Thanks

Offline lau

• PS Silver Member
Re: Preperation for Chopin Etude Op.10 No.4
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 05:02:38 AM
i'm learning this now also. man,  now i see why a lot of people play slower than my taste! You have to do these big stretches at a fast pace and it's really hard not to miss notes. I say just go for it.
i'm not asian

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 05:05:29 AM
Prelude and Fugue in C-Sharp Major from Book I is excellent prep.

Offline maxy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 08:29:45 PM
You could maybe try working on some Moskovsky études. op 72#2 is somewhat fun and is vaguely similar to Chopin's op 10-12.  I did play a couple of Moskovsky before jumping to  Chopin's op. 10#4 so my recommandation has been tested.  ;) 

Offline debussy symbolism

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 09:55:39 PM
Greetings.

Oh yeah I am also doing Moszkowski op72 no2 right now. I don't know where I would be without it and even though I am not familiar with the Chopin etude yet, I would say that whatever it is the Moszkowski is going to give you quite a workout. No2 is mainly for the left hand. I am also doing the first one(no1) and that one is mainly for the right hand. Both give quite a workout.

Offline le_poete_mourant

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 05:57:40 AM
ANY of the other Chopin Etudes, because they get your fingers moving and capable, will help you prepare for Op. 10 No. 4.  The thing about this etude is that it is a fairly equal balance between the movement of the left hand and the right hand; many of the other etudes favor one hand over the other. 

The issue is not what piece you need to work on.  There are many out there that will elevate your playing to where it needs to be.  Essentially, you need to be capable of playing fast, accurately, and -- although it may seem counterintuitive for this -- delicately.  Fingering above all is important for the 10/4 (or any of the other etudes). 

Meanwhile, you can't go wrong with some of the Preludes from op. 28. 

Also, take a look at the 3rd movement of the Moonlight Sonata. 

Offline maxy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 09:26:36 PM
ANY of the other Chopin Etudes, because they get your fingers moving and capable, will help you prepare for Op. 10 No. 4. 

impossible to contradict this statement.  It is true. Yet, one must start with a "first" Chopet at some point.   :P  Op. 10#4 is a possible starting point.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert