Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Mozart sonatas piano+violin K301 & K304  (Read 24680 times)

Offline dabbler

• PS Silver Member
Mozart sonatas piano+violin K301 & K304
on: January 10, 2007, 04:23:03 PM
My first chamber music experience. I did this with a friend as a Christmas present for our families. It was great fun! Any comments welcome, especially since we're both not sure how to best work on an interpretation together. Should we discuss a rough plan beforehand, or should both have their own plan and adapt "on the fly". We just played a number of times and then recorded. Probably not the way to go....
Any suggestions for some more modern piece (19th/early 20th century, preferably not too hard)?

...oh, there's an upload limit... so the other movements follow in separate postings :-)

Offline dabbler

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mozart sonatas piano+violin K301 & K304
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 04:31:09 PM
K301, Mv.2...

Offline dabbler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 04:35:01 PM
K304, Mv.1...

Offline dabbler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 04:39:08 PM
K.304, Mv.2...
ok, that's it... Let's hope that at least somebody's interested enough to listen...
:-)

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 03:48:48 AM
wow. that sounds great!  if i was your family - i'd surely appreciate this gift and treasure it.

something i just realized is that with mozart there's a fine line between imitating exactly - RIGHT AFTER someone else does a phrase.  wait a second - then repeat.  if you are always exactly on time (advice to self , too) it seems too planned.  you know what i mean?

very enjoyable listening anyways!  i like it. 

Offline dabbler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 10:10:43 AM
Thanks for your comments, pianistimo. I know what you mean. But it's really a fine line between too little and too much agogic liberty. We'll definitely try to work on the "dialogue" feeling in the next piece, which should be something 19th-century-like... Anyway, thanks for listening and for the advice... :-)

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 12:45:22 AM
Thanks a lot for sharing this. Itīs extremely beautifull. Itīs very well done for just a few rehearsals. You guys captured the spirit of mozartīs music so well. I can listen to all that joyfull thing going on. I can feel the energy of it. You guys also dialog very well, I never feel you are strugling with each other, but working along each otherīs lines. Bringing more color to it, without competing. Itīs almost like being transported back in time to the old vienesse court.  Your family might be very proud of your achievement. Please post more of your stuff. Itīs pretty neat. :)

Offline dabbler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 11:02:01 AM
piano121, thanks for your kind words! It's one of the nicest compliments I have received so far. I'm happy that you could hear our enthusiam for the music, and I hope we can keep this spirit while trying to improve a bit on the technical side of playing together... :-)

Offline berrt

Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 11:15:58 PM
if only one day i could dabble like you, dabbler... it's hopeless... ;D

B.

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 04:13:39 PM
can I ask you something? about the technical difidulty on playing it. How dificult do you think it is? (maibe using mozart piano sonatas as a reference for comparison) . thanks in advance!

Offline dabbler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 05:04:28 PM
berrt, thanks for listening. And I hope very much that the audition room is a source of learning and inspiration and not one of frustration! Keep playing and enjoying the music!!

can I ask you something? about the technical difidulty on playing it. How dificult do you think it is? (maibe using mozart piano sonatas as a reference for comparison) . thanks in advance!

piano121, I can only comment on the technical difficulty of the piano part. If it's also about the violin, I'd have to ask my friend (but I know that she practiced less than I did... :-)). I have played the C (K. 545), A (331), G (283) and a (310) solo sonatas so far -- this order reflects increasing difficulty in my impression. I would put both 301 and 304 close to 331, with 304 (e) a bit easier than 301 (G).

I hope this will encourage you to give it a try! Good luck, and in case I might be able to give some specific tips let me know. Btw, there are ~15 Mozart piano+violin sonatas, some others might be even easier. Also, have a look at the Schubert p+v sonatinas (in fact Schubert called them sonatas) which are wonderful pieces and even easier than 301 and 304.

Update: I just read in another thread that you're playing Chopin FI. So you can definitely go for these two here!

-Tobias

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 09:02:18 PM
Nice. Tanx! I have played mozartīs k454, 497, 331, and 311. in order of dificulty, imo. I hope I can get my hands in a sonata for p+v, in the future, I donīt know many violinists, at all, but maibe my teacher might conect me with one. Who knows. I can only say this sonatas are extremely beautifull, and it would be such a great pleasure to work on them. Please, if you have time, take a look at my recording of k311, first movement. Itīs now around 4th page of this forum.

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,20024.0.html
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert