Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Black Background-White Letters  (Read 4908 times)

Offline kau

• PS Silver Member
Black Background-White Letters
on: January 22, 2007, 08:47:17 PM
Hey!

I am a very rare poster but I enjoy reading the forums and I've gained very useful knowledge from your site! Thank you very much!

I wanted to only raise one issue that's making it harder for me to enjoy the site - when reading a thread then there are white letters on black background. I have noticed that my eyes get tired after reading it for a while. My eyes are healthy. 
I read a little bit on the theme from webmasterworld and it seemed like I'm not the only one having the problem

Any thoughts?

Thank You again for the forum itself is good!  :)

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member
Re: Black Background-White Letters
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 08:50:46 PM
Click on 'Profile'

Go to 'Look and Layout Preferences'

You'll see Current Theme:[/], and theme of the theme you're using. Click on change, and select the inverted theme.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 12:53:12 AM
Ouch I have just tried it out and it looks like a completely different forum. AHHHHH where is my pianostreet? Now I have changed again and I feel definitely better ;D

Offline kau

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 10:06:45 AM
WoW! Thank you so much, Kassaa!  :)
Now I can personalize it. Way cool!

Offline preludium

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 09:22:29 PM
If you use Firefox you can apply your own stylesheet to the forum. I've been using my own one for 2 months now, and since this topic comes up on a regular basis I thought about posting it here. The benefits of your own stylesheet are that you can tweak it to your own needs and you don't have to log in to the forum to make it work. The downside is that you need to know some CSS. If you only want to change the colors then this should be easy enough with the sheet attached, but doing something on the layout is not for everyone. This is what the sheet does:

• Changes the colors to a kind of sandstone style
  • Uses the whole browser window for the layout. The content adapts to the width of the browser window up to a certain degree. There are limits because the forum uses a table layout
  • Reformats quotes
  • Hides signatures

Under Windows put this file into the folder
<drive>:\Documents and Settings\<your user id>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<a weird string>.default\chrome

under Linux into
~/.mozilla/firefox/<a weird string>.default/chrome

then restart FF. I don't know anything about Macs, but it must be similar. The file name must be userContent.css, otherwise FF will ignore it. It works from FF 1.5 up. There is a way to get it working with older versions, too - just do a bit of search on the net. It is surely possible to use this stylesheet in Opera or Konqueror with some modifications, but if you're using one of these I assume you're smart enough to figure that out yourself. M$ IE is too stupid for this, even in the new version 7.0. It supports user stylesheets, but you cannot restrict them to a particular URL. This is necessary, though, since it contains directives for the table and td elements, which would mess up probably 90% of other sites in your browser.

There are some problems caused by JavaScript on this site and I didn't have the nerves to solve this. After all, the file was intended for my own purpose only and not meant to be used by someone else. So take it or leave it.  ;)

NOTE! The forum doesn't allow attachments with the ending .css, so I renamed the to userContent.mp3. Just rename it back after download. There is no point in trying what it sounds like.

Offline ihatepop

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 01:54:01 PM
Ohh...I tried the inverted theme and it looks strange...

:oihatepop

Offline ptmidwest

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 03:32:00 PM
...and now?

How does one change from the black background nowadays?  The options are different and I'm not finding it.

Thanks!

Offline nilsjohan

• Administrator
Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 07:54:04 AM
Nowadays there is no such option, mainly because very few members were using it while we had it. But if some of you want an inverted theme (black text on white background) it wouldn't be much hassle to create one. We will do that soon.

Offline ptmidwest

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 08:49:05 AM
Thank you!

But now it's not necessary for me; mine was a problem with my own PC here and now it's solved, so I am fine with this layout again.

Thank you!

Offline stevebob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 10:01:48 PM
Nowadays there is no such option, mainly because very few members were using it while we had it. But if some of you want an inverted theme (black text on white background) it wouldn't be much hassle to create one. We will do that soon.

I think this is something to look forward to!  In the meantime ....

I too found the combination of light text on a dark background very uncomfortable, so much so that I never visited this great forum although I'd known of it for several years.  I couldn't really spend any time here even reading others' posts, so I didn't consider contributing until I found a workaround.

For those who use Firefox and Windows, there's an add-on called "NoSquint":

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2592

It does just what it promises:

Having a hard time reading on the web? Is that website with the ridiculously small font and hot-pink-on-slightly-darker-hot-pink text raising your blood pressure? NoSquint can:

* Override the default text-only and full-page (both text and images) zoom levels for all websites
* Enforce your own foreground and background colors
* Remember your zoom levels and color settings per site, automatically applying them when you return.

Here's a "before" picture of the start of this thread:

This is the same page after NoSquint applied my choice of black text on an ivory background with background images suppressed:

What passes you ain't for you.

Offline kookaburra

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 09:12:14 PM
Click on 'Profile'

Go to 'Look and Layout Preferences'

You'll see Current Theme:[/], and theme of the theme you're using. Click on change, and select the inverted theme.

good advice, but there is no such 'theme' selection anywhere in my preferences!   :-\
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Offline stevebob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 12:35:37 AM
good advice, but there is no such 'theme' selection anywhere in my preferences!   :-\

Offline ted_w

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 06:48:43 AM
I just joined this site and it's really cool, but I really get a headache from looking at light letters on a dark background.  It seriously makes me feel ill.  Is there any way the you can restore the option to invert again.  I'm using Safari.

Thanks!

Offline stevebob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 10:57:51 AM
I just joined this site and it's really cool, but I really get a headache from looking at light letters on a dark background.  It seriously makes me feel ill.  Is there any way the you can restore the option to invert again.  I'm using Safari.

Thanks!

I, too, am averse to the default appearance of this site, though there are others here who seem to love it or even insist that it is superior.

I can't speak for Safari, but there are add-ons for both Firefox and Chrome that allow the user to change colors and/or fonts that they dislike.  I'm using one right now, and I wouldn't be here at all if I didn't have such an option through my web browser.

Even if having an avant garde graphic design is a point of pride here, it would be nice to offer choices to members who dislike it.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert