Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: Reading/flashcards  (Read 8227 times)

Offline pizno

• PS Silver Member
Reading/flashcards
on: January 31, 2007, 11:41:48 PM
This is a mystery to me.  Or maybe it's not.  :-\.  Transfer students come to me unable to read music.  What has happened quite predictable - they get into some method book where all they do is play in middle C position.  2-3 years later, they are still there.  They maybe know the names of those notes, if we're lucky.  Mostly they just follow the fingering.  I am a complete believer in flashcards.  Do they practice them at home?  Only some of them do - and those kids just take off.  If they don't, I spend a big part of the lesson on them and we barely have time for their pieces.  I give all beginners some middle C pieces, but pretty quickly I get them playing all over the keyboard.  I strongly believe that if they don't do this early on, they get scared of anything that isn't right in front of them.  The evidence is in the transfer students.  I know this topic has come up many times on this forum, I'm just in the mood to talk about it again.  :D
How many of you are committed to flashcards? 

Pizno

Offline stevehopwood

• PS Silver Member
Re: Reading/flashcards
Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 12:02:10 AM
I am a great believer in bribary and corruption. I use Cadbury's Roses Chocolates. The kids get one for playing their pieces to me at the start of the lesson, and one at the end for 'putting up with me for half-an-hour.'

The beginners get another for passing their 'notes test'. This involves using flash cards. They have 10 cards, 5 treble and 5 bass. They have to get 7 out of 10 correct to get an extra choc.

Treble clef - they count up from middle C.

Bass clef - they remember that the bottom line is G and count up from there.

The rationale is that once they can do this, they can work out the letter name of any note on the stave regardless of whether they have 'learned' it. From there, they can find it on the keyboard. Precise octave pitch can be wrong but hey, they are beginners so who cares?

Of course, no child has ever failed this test. Being a big softy, help is always available to the struggling child.  ;D By the same token, a few weeks into lessons and every child I teach can work out he name of any note on the stave with ease.

Flash cards are great.

:D
Piano teacher, accompanist and soloist for over 30 years - all of them fantastic.
www.hopwood3.freeserve.co.uk

Offline pizno

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 03:55:55 AM
I like the bribery and corruption part.  Or..... today a boy was cringing every time I put my hand on his shoulder - maybe I should tell him I won't touch him if he gets all his flashcards perfect.  I guess that would be a threat.  Hey, but if it works.  Chocolates - that's good.  The parents would kill me.

I know one teacher who has the kids run a lap around the house if they get a note wrong.  I think this might be a little too much fun.  Or push ups? 

Seriously, I like the 'note test' idea.  Maybe if they get 100% they can move on to a new book.  Probably not the most original thought.

I teach the notes on the keyboard by doing weekly drills, find every B, say, up and down the keyboard.  They have to do it with decent technique - lifting from the wrist to travel.  If they get confused I confuse them even more by making up little ways to remember them - D is the dog in the doghouse, and others that are really pretty dumb, but they work. 

Pizno

Offline juelle

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 12:36:14 AM
There's a game called Flashnote on www.pedaplus.com which works very well with my kids who aren't bothering to read yet.  I do teach them up and down first and then skips and other interval recognition, but eventually they do need to know the note names.   They love the Flashnote game; three of my students are competing for four weeks to get the best total score.

Then we use flashcards to play "soccer".  They choose three cards, place them on the music rack, and play from left to right.  If they are correct, they get all three cards.  If the student misses even one, or plays them in the wrong order, I get all three cards.  It works VERY well!

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 02:57:54 AM
I vote for flashcards.  As long as it's not too much and the note/concepts are in the pieces they are playing -- so it connects.

And hitting it in each lesson.  If you don't, they might not practice it.

And giving them a reminder -- written out.

And then telling the parent what you're working on.  Ask the parent to quiz the kid on the flashcards.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline danny elfboy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 10:44:12 AM
Take a look at this very interesting tool:

Slide.A.Note

What is very great about this tool is that it takes advantage of the most logical and easiest way to learn the corrispondance between the notes on the sheets and those on the piano: i.e. realizing that grand-staff is just a specular image of the keyboard

I agree with you that it's a disaster to stay for a long time on just middle C five fingers pieces and just later expose them to piece you have to play all over the keyboard.
That's because it requires a strong "unlearning" ... first you internalized the small section of the piano relative to the treble cleff and then when you start adding ledger lines, blass cleff  and so on it's like the mental image of the keyboard in relation to the sheet changes suddenly. This is very irrational and counterintuitive. What's best is exposing a piano student to the grand-staff ... especially explaining the relation between the grand-staff, the keyboard, the choir voices and the orchestra instruments

Offline pizno

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 03:27:41 AM
There's a game called Flashnote on www.pedaplus.com which works very well with my kids who aren't bothering to read yet.  I do teach them up and down first and then skips and other interval recognition, but eventually they do need to know the note names.   They love the Flashnote game; three of my students are competing for four weeks to get the best total score.

Then we use flashcards to play "soccer".  They choose three cards, place them on the music rack, and play from left to right.  If they are correct, they get all three cards.  If the student misses even one, or plays them in the wrong order, I get all three cards.  It works VERY well!

Juelle - Thanks for the Pedaplus tip.  I have given the URL to several of my students and they are eating it up!  Two siblings now have competitions at home.  One can do it almost as fast as I can.

Offline becca91

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 11:49:54 PM
I just checked out pedaplus - i will definitely pass it on. Also, I have found that kids love going through flashcards with notes on them. They get really excited when they can answer the entire stack correctly!

Offline penguinlover

Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 12:59:54 AM
I wanna take from stevehopwood!!!  Seriously.  Anyway, I use flash cards. I used to have a find a note thingie.  You moved the note up and down on a grand staff, and the student had to tell me its name.  Or, the other way around.  Only problem with this is that is wasn't a very sturdy device and broke in a few years.  I haven't seen another one like it.

Offline a-sharp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 03:12:36 AM
I like that moveable thing ... :) Flashcards are great too ~

As a parent, and it were my child, I'd say - please don't "bribe" my child with candy [or sugar or chocolate or food of any kind for that matter]. sorry ... Stickers - fine ... motivational incentives like - they get to play whatever they want or whatever - but I just have issue with sugar/food being used as reward. But that is just me...

off my soapbox now. :)

Offline keyofc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 08:41:15 PM
If you're going to use Stevehop's bribery with chocalates, you might want to include Pizno's friend in your method - and have them run around the block when they miss a note to help counter all those calories.

I'm feeling silly today. - Maybe I'll run around the block.

Offline ingagroznaya

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 09:29:20 AM
I usually do not ask for flash cards, except for Third ( C position ) and Fifth  ( G position ) lessons. If you don't know flash cards - what are you doing here? - one more week to learn flash cards - Fourth week you're fired. Simple.
I don't accept transfer students unless they can sight read at a level or two under. I prescribe flash cards before piano lessons. Wrong doctor? I sell my medication too.

Since I am coming from former Soviet Union, I don't believe in bribery or corruption. I charge $50.00 per half an hour and if I have to, on the Third or Fifths lesson... I quickly move to my waiting room , where a parent waiting for a child and practice flash cards there. Why not??? There is nothing to do in the piano room. A parent in question can quickly calculate the cost of such a practicing. I live in US and it works like magic. I am a firm believer in flash cards. I used to make my own. Now I think $8.95 is cheap. They should charge $30.00.

Offline a-sharp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 01:53:31 PM
related but slightly different question ~

Do you all give them to the students to take home to practice with? Are these 'loaner' flashcards? Do you buy them sets & then bill the students same as for books? Or do you just use them for practice drills during lessons?

Offline stevehopwood

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 04:21:26 PM
related but slightly different question ~

Do you all give them to the students to take home to practice with? Are these 'loaner' flashcards? Do you buy them sets & then bill the students same as for books? Or do you just use them for practice drills during lessons?
I just use them during the lessons. Occasionally, parents will buy a set but I do not find it necessary. I use them so that the kids acquire the ability to work out the names of notes when this is needed - they learn a principle rather than the names of individual notes.

Piano teacher, accompanist and soloist for over 30 years - all of them fantastic.

Offline ingagroznaya

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007, 04:37:18 AM
A-sharp, all of my beginners start with the set of flash cards and books. Flash cards are only slightly more expensive, compared to the cost of a book , but I strongly feel - they worth every penny invested. I don't believe in "loaners". Yes, all students pay for flash cards and take them home. They bring this set to each lesson. From the very first lesson the set divided in two piles: one - we already know, the other one - we don't. On each lesson I add more flash card ( about 10 ) to the first pile. All flash cards in the "we know" pile must be memorized at home. I check " we know" cards randomly. We have much more interesting things to do during the lesson.

Offline ingagroznaya

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: June 03, 2007, 05:15:20 AM
Last year I tried the Flash Card Race, as someone suggested here in older thread. Result was absolutely overwhelming, knowing how spoiled my kids are. They could not wait for the flash cards test during the lesson. They actually begged parents to practice with them at home ( all parents can use such a reminder ). Results of the weekly testing was posted on the wall for all to see. It turned out to be a major competition! I must say I was not prepared for it all at first...who knew!....somewhere half way through the race I declared an official prizes ( piano shaped sharpeners ) and after that it grew to an Olympics, where kids were competing for the diplomas of International Grand Master of C position 1st degree, International Grand Master C and G position - 2nd degree, International Grand Master of Bass and Treble Clef - highest degree, the more the better. Diplomas was presented at the final honor ceremony with drum rolls and red carpet. Finding red carpet was the hardest.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: June 03, 2007, 06:14:36 AM
ingagroznya,  you are 'the teacher of the year,' imo.  if you don't make it fun - they'll never do it.  good for you.   now, what to do with the homemade flashcards i made.  ask for them back.  what happened to them.  did they sort of get thrown out the window on the way home?  (just kidding)  she has a casio with the notes highlighted on a staff - each time they are played.  is this enough?  i was attempting to type out the notes with finale 07 that she played for scales, too - so she could sorta follow and say the notes.  i think quiet silent types do not like to typically say aloud what they are playing.  perhaps not everyone needs to.  but, auditory learners would.  perhaps this girl is visual.  perhaps a one time looking at the flashcards and that was that.  but, where did the handmade flashcards go?  it took me 10 minutes.  they are pieces of artwork.

Offline ingagroznaya

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: June 03, 2007, 06:25:50 AM
Drums was a loaner from a former adult student, the drummer was an uncle of a recipient of an award, the carpet was a loan to us by a wonderful parent of International Grand Master 3rd degree. Diplomas was printed using some forms from a piano web site for free. Medals came out of my own packet - $2.95 each. Each parents invested $8.95 into a set of flash cards. The prizes was a nice addition to overall atmosphere. I did not feel the pressure to bribe those kids. It al turned out to be a very healthy competition, where each child clearly showed:" I, too, can do it! I do have my own little pride.". I thought of adding the prizes later on,  after watching those kids compete. It was just truly touching how much they wanted a little painted star next to their own name. Once in a while I also get a transfer student, where a smart kid keep playing using finger numbers after a year. Painful to watch.
Maybe I am too harsh for some, but I don't believe in teachers who literally prevent students from learning. Some of cases I have seen is no less then a crime.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: June 03, 2007, 06:27:09 AM
Wow, reading this thread has helped me to realize how differently I teach than is described here -- it's like a whole other world reading this stuff, and, I will admit, though the ideas are fabulous, I just don't feel compelled to do it myself, but rather the opposite. I know why that is, too, I just don't know where it will lead me.  But, I guess that's part of the adventure !  :)

Speaking of which, I need some new direction in my teaching  ;)

oh, and ps -- I need some new direction in my life, too  :)
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline ingagroznaya

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: June 03, 2007, 06:37:53 AM
More so, when I used to make my own flash cards, I used to charge $20.00 per half an hour.
It went to $25 - no one cared. $30 - no response.  $40 was somewhat stable. Then it was $40 plus 8.95 for flash cards. $45 was generally responsible, I really can't complain. What really got on my nerves is the teacher next door - she was charging $50 and her students STILL played by finger numbers after a YEAR! She sells her PhD in music in advertisement. Bummer - I don't have one. I have only BA. Now for $50.00 per half hour I offer a fair chance to learn.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: June 03, 2007, 06:48:22 AM
mayla, you may already be onto something.  getting up at this hour and just meditating on the process is a big start to new things.  you just analyze how each of your students learn. they probably are motivated by different things.  some want the star, as ingagroznya said.  some want to be hand held.  (not good - must push them out to do on their own little bits at a time).  some want to just be somewhat free and unstifled (especially from finger numbers.  whew)  although, how to learn the concepts of correct fingering without showing them 'comfort fingering?'  there's some fingering that is atrocious.  well, you could add bach to the list - but that was before ideas of fingering were truly analyzed and categorized.  crossing fingers and rh over lh all the time.  it was basically showing off at the piano.

in my experience - the more students learn that playing the piano isn't showing off - but merely making music come alive - the more you are teaching.  my last teacher detested 'outer show.'  if it didn't produce a sound that was clean and clear and a 'feeling' to it - it may as well not have existed.  so, focusing on sound is definately a place to start.  and, relaxation.  if students are uptight - how can they make a good sound?

btw, no hard feelings about bach - but is it really the place to start with BEginning students?  i think they have to learn some rules first and then break them.  you know, scalular patterns, patterns that fit into the hand easily, jazz patterns (in fact, if you get a book about jazz patterns - you might be onto a sort of 1/2 and 1/2 classical/jazz lesson and actually get students excited about making sound).

Offline ingagroznaya

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: June 03, 2007, 08:20:53 AM
Pianistimo, I am always lost after reading your posts. I am not going to even try commenting on m1469's. My point is - I don't treat my beginners students as half brained idiots from the start and they pick up on the idea pretty fast. Any child can memorize 10 notes over a period of a week. 5 and 4 years old usually take about 2-3 weeks respectively. Yes, kids are motivated by different things, but I have yet to see a kid who was not motivated by his own natural ability to learn. Every child wants to be good at something, much rather then being constantly hand held. Given an option every child prefer to do well on his lesson. There is an internal drive in every kid at that tender age to succeed or we would be crawling on all four till our late 20th.
All the excitement started not from a painted stars, but from a student seeing his/her name on the wall and comparing one self to another. My goal for every student was not unreasonable and easy to accomplish. Any conversation with the use of big words, such as "analyze" or "concept" is useless, when a student struggles with notes.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: June 03, 2007, 08:58:11 AM
Any conversation with the use of big words, such as "analyze" or "concept" is useless, when a student struggles with notes.

Actually, every single one of my students start their very first lessons in repertoire with some form of "analysis"  -- it's one of the first words they learn -- even if the individual notes and their names on the staff are not all worked out yet.  They love it !  And I constantly have kids reaching for the pens and pencils to make some kind of meaningful (to them) mark in their own score.  :D
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline ingagroznaya

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: June 03, 2007, 09:15:57 AM
m1469, I've noticed your love for grand words on an empty spot. My reference to big words as "analyze" and "concept" was directed to pianistimo's "you just analyze how each of your students learn". There was nothing said about student's analysis, yet I am sure every single one of your students start their very first lesson with analysis. I would not used a big word as "repertoire" though, since this conversation covers generally first lesson of a typical beginner.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: June 03, 2007, 09:41:15 AM
m1469, I've noticed your love for grand words on an empty spot. My reference to big words as "analyze" and "concept" was directed to pianistimo's "you just analyze how each of your students learn". There was nothing said about student's analysis, yet I am sure every single one of your students start their very first lesson with analysis. I would not used a big word as "repertoire" though, since this conversation covers generally first lesson of a typical beginner.

Okay, thanks for the tip :).

Offline stevehopwood

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: June 03, 2007, 09:45:24 AM
Wow, reading this thread has helped me to realize how differently I teach than is described here -- it's like a whole other world reading this stuff, and, I will admit, though the ideas are fabulous, I just don't feel compelled to do it myself, but rather the opposite.

Nor should you feel so compelled. Most of us contributing here are doing so because we were attracted by the thread title, and use flash-cards ourselves.

What is important is that your methods work for you and your pupils, that you find your own solutions to the multitude of challenges posed by the job.

I know why that is, too, I just don't know where it will lead me. 
Hehe. That simply makes you a member of a very large club.  ;D

But, I guess that's part of the adventure !  :)
Yep, and what an adventure.

Offline ingagroznaya

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: June 03, 2007, 10:26:29 AM
To m1469: Why not to use something more down to earth instead of "analysis"? How about basic "thinking"? Can I suggest to practice what you preach? Knowing notes well is as essential to understanding analysis of any piece, as reading other posts in this thread before responding to mine. Meaning your comment was absolutely out of context, yet you were thinking. I do dislike your cloudy major, but you of course are most welcome.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: June 03, 2007, 10:34:10 AM
yes, I missed you, too, Inga  :-*

Offline ingagroznaya

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: June 03, 2007, 10:43:51 AM
When I try to imagine m1469, I can't see anything, but a sunflower in a form of a cloud. I wonder if it is because my piano teachers did not analyze with me early enough in life?

Offline stevehopwood

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: June 03, 2007, 11:08:38 AM
To m1469: Why not to use something more down to earth instead of "analysis"? How about basic "thinking"?
Probably because 'thinking' is a vague term with a host of different meanings. 'Analysis' is more precise; it involves contemplating how something works, trying to deconstruct it to learn the elements of it.

Those of us for whom English is our first language, use and understand such terms with ease; they are a part of our everyday language and are not complicated. We will moderate our usage when directly communicating with someone whose command of the language is less advanced that our own; children, for example, or adults for whom English is their second language.

m1469 does not use 'big' words in the pejorative way you mean; m1469 is merely using normal language.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: June 03, 2007, 11:15:40 AM
Inga this is just ridiculous. You are disqualifying yourself with your attacks against m1469. I think everybody here knows what a competent and serious musician and teacher m1469 is. To me she is not only one of the most thoughtful teachers, not only one of the most gifted and interesting improvisers, not only one of the most interesting posters, close to Bernhard, she is also a friend of mine and you will have to cope with me as well if you are going on with your impertinent and irrelevant comments. Good luck :P ;D

Yes Stevehopwood that is very good :)

best

Wolfi

Offline ingagroznaya

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: June 03, 2007, 12:00:18 PM
Ingagroznaya repeated out loud after Steve " A-na-ly-sis " and got a chocolate. Look, her teeth are all dirty!  ;D  Steve, "Analysis" is the same word in foreign Russian ( Анализ ) , so being a foreigner I knew how to use this "fancy" word long before I managed to say word "Think" for the first time ( Думать in Russian ). I sense some sort of pseudo artistic notes in many m1469's posts and I feel I can say it out loud - I dislike it.

"We will moderate our usage when directly communicating with someone whose command of the language is less advanced that our own; children, for example." Ouch, second class Citizens. First of all I do not treat my students as less advance and rarely feel the need to moderate anything in order to teach them. Second, while everyone here was talking about teaching students ABCs, here appeared m1469 from her cloud with the announcement about "Analysis" being the first word her student learn. Perhaps not everyone will agree, but to me it just felt very phony.

Offline ingagroznaya

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: June 03, 2007, 12:05:22 PM
Pianowolfi, I do not attack anyone. I hope I am entitle to my own opinion.

Offline stevehopwood

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: June 03, 2007, 12:09:49 PM
Ingagroznaya repeated out loud after Steve " A-na-ly-sis " and got a chocolate. Look, her teeth are all dirty!  ;D  Steve, "Analysis" is the same word in foreign Russian ( Анализ ) , so being a foreigner I knew how to use this "fancy" word long before I managed to say word "Think" for the first time ( Думать in Russian ). I sense some sort of pseudo artistic notes in many m1469's posts and I feel I can say it out loud - I dislike it.
It is the rude way in which you say things that some of us object to. We are all entitled to our opinion; sometimes it is better left unsaid.

"We will moderate our usage when directly communicating with someone whose command of the language is less advanced that our own; children, for example." Ouch, second class Citizens.
That is a ridiculous thing to say. Using language they are unable to understand would exclude them from the conversation. During the summer months, I give lessons to a group of children on holiday from Taiwan. They speak little English. Using anything  but the simplest language merely results in blank incomprehension. To do so would be stupid.

First of all I do not treat my students as less advance and rarely feel the need to moderate anything in order to teach them.
Perhaps you are unaware that different students need different approaches; this includes the language we use to them. I am not sure that a 6 year old beginner would understand the terms I use freely with an 18 year old.

Second, while everyone here was talking about teaching students ABCs, here appeared m1469 from her cloud with the announcement about "Analysis" being the first word her student learn. Perhaps not everyone will agree, but to me it just felt very phony.
There you go again; being rude to a fellow-contributor. It seems to me that you need to learn some manners.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: June 03, 2007, 12:21:11 PM
Pianowolfi, I do not attack anyone. I hope I am entitle to my own opinion.

So these...

I sense some sort of pseudo artistic notes in many m1469's posts and I feel I can say it out loud - I dislike it.
Second, while everyone here was talking about teaching students ABCs, here appeared m1469 from her cloud with the announcement about "Analysis" being the first word her student learn. Perhaps not everyone will agree, but to me it just felt very phony.

... are not attacks? Only your decent humble opinion? If you really believe you need to pose  "opinions" in this way and on this pathetic level I just feel very sorry for you.

And this

When I try to imagine m1469, I can't see anything, but a sunflower in a form of a cloud. I wonder if it is because my piano teachers did not analyze with me early enough in life?

And this

m1469, I've noticed your love for grand words on an empty spot. 

These are just mean personal attacks and not worth to be called "opinion". And everybody here will notice that you are just disqualifying yourself with it. Fortunately m1469 is confident enough to not let herself be pulled down to your level. Plus, she has a strong biceps, as you may have seen. ;D

Offline ingagroznaya

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: June 03, 2007, 12:26:50 PM
Steve, I would need more then a few bags of Cadbury's Roses Chocolates to continue to answer to this. :)

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: June 03, 2007, 01:15:55 PM
everyone on here uses 'what works.'  ingagrozyna, i respect that you hold your students to a higher standard that most.  although, you did say that you 'fire' them occasionally for not holding to that standard.  but, what you are discussing here seems to me to be perfectly reasonable to ask a student to do.  to learn where the notes are on the keyboard.

perhaps the problem is not sightreading/flashcards - and/or memorization - but the idea of how one relays information and how the student picks it up.  i was attempting to explain this - but it seems that it accidentally came out as an insult - when i was using it as a generalized way of showing that each child learns differently.

imo, some memorize very quickly.  some learn flashcards and utilize them.  others find the fastest way they can - (in this case - my student had already learned she could find the note placement by a little glass window on her 68 key casio and probably hadn't used the flashcards yet).  she showed me this feature and i had no idea it existed.

to calm the spirits here - i must say that i did compliment ingagroznya in a positve way about her teaching.  and,m1469i respect for asking questions and not pretending to 'know it all.'  none of us 'knows it all' - but some have had many years of teaching and find what works for them.  although, sometimes it is necessary to change it every so often with the changing times.  for instance, some american students are not willing to sit down and go note by note (with flashcards) until you force the issue.  whereas, in some other countries - the parents make sure everything given at the lesson is done with military preciseness.

either way will work over the long haul - because one is using a sort of 'logic' and the other 'hard work.'  the logic blends with realization for need for hard work - and the hard work realizes that it can only go on so long without joy.  joy and inspiration and perhaps a bit of improv. 

btw, i am in complete agreement about using words on students that they understand.  and, i feel that in some cases - we progress through things without making sure a concept is fully learned.  so, if some teachers progress slower - it might not mean that they are 'slow.'  it might mean that they purposely start out slow and then build momentum.  however, there are some that go too slow.  you don't want to be on level 3 in 10 years. 

i will be the first to say that i'm still learning.  and, that teaching is MUCH different than performing.  and , that i used to have a pretty good memory and now - memory is an issue for me.  but, it doesn't mean that i can't teach students about memorizing.  the first step - imo - is minimal analysis.  what key are we in?  what are the basic chords of that key.  this is all very useful for memory.

another btw, i love both you and mayla.  i think that music is a thing of love and joy - and really even when there are cat fights - it's perhaps because we do understand each other.  just picking on the issues that might be different for each of us.  we each have strengths and weaknesses - just like our students.

Offline stevehopwood

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: June 03, 2007, 01:22:04 PM
Steve, I would need more then a few bags of Cadbury's Roses Chocolates to continue to answer to this. :)
:D :D :D

Offline ingagroznaya

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: June 03, 2007, 01:38:52 PM
Probably because 'thinking' is a vague term with a host of different meanings. 'Analysis' is more precise; it involves contemplating how something works, trying to deconstruct it to learn the elements of it.

You are almost there . Analysis in music is deconstruction of complex , not to learn the basic elements of it such as notes, but to learn and understand the relationship between those elements. If a student can not see the bigger picture, there is nothing to deconstruct except m1469 in her overly complex artistic world. In any case flash cards come first, m1469's analysis comes second. It just occurred to me where I first heard this fancy word. It was not on the lesson with the competent and serious musician m1469...It was when I was about 4 years old. My mama would make me poo or pee in a container and we would proudly take it to a local lab for analysis. Don't eat too much chocolate, do flash card , try to read all post above and lighten up a little, would you?

Offline ingagroznaya

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: June 03, 2007, 01:40:25 PM
Pianistimo, you did not say anything insulting at all. What makes you think that? It's m1469 who arrived here with her musing, which was totally out of context because she did not bother her self with reading your's first. I find it annoying, when someone acts as if it is a popularity contest. Hope you all poop, so no one got offended. This place is full of drama.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: June 03, 2007, 01:52:47 PM
your methods of getting points across are more bizarre than mine, ingagroznya.  it makes me want to be your student.  i am serious.  creativeness takes many forms.  one is being very very precise and another open and free.  they are not necessarily at odds with each other. 

i had a french piano teacher who i thought at first was 'anal' (but i hate using that word). the first two years were a lot of exercises and a lot of work.  but, then, as lessons progressed - it was really eyeopening to see how much freedom of expression he used and how many more compliments.  like slowly opening a door to the outside world.  too much light would blind the student - but just a bit at a time.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: June 03, 2007, 01:59:51 PM
Hope you all poop, so no one got offended.

*poops* ;D

Offline stevehopwood

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: June 03, 2007, 02:07:22 PM
You are almost there . Analysis in music is deconstruction of complex , not to learn the basic elements of it such as notes, but to learn and understand the relationship between those elements. If a student can not see the bigger picture, there is nothing to deconstruct except m1469 in her overly complex artistic world. In any case flash cards come first, m1469's analysis comes second. It just occurred to me where I first heard this fancy word. It was not on the lesson with the competent and serious musician m1469...It was when I was about 4 years old. My mama would make me poo or pee in a container and we would proudly take it to a local lab for analysis. Don't eat too much chocolate, do flash card , try to read all post above and lighten up a little, would you?
Tell you what, Inga. You continue using basic language. The rest of us will continue to enjoy something a little richer and more precise.

Offline ingagroznaya

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: June 03, 2007, 02:33:20 PM
Said Steve Dostoyevsky. I do not mind what language you do use. You can speak mongolian or japanese, just try not to be out of context completely and I'll be happy with your riches.

Offline counterpoint

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: June 03, 2007, 02:58:52 PM
Okay, back to the topic  :D

Why do people think, that learning note names is so difficult?

There are 7 of it: C D E F G A B - then the same note names repeat

(Btw. they are similar to the alphabet.)

So if we write a continuous scale from the bass to the treble in the piano system,
we can find all notes just by counting

This is so easy, and it's easy to understand.
If it doesn't work - try something different!

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: June 03, 2007, 03:22:30 PM
It's m1469 who arrived here with her musing, which was totally out of context because she did not bother her self with reading your's first.

*wonders how this "machine" works ... *

*pushes buttons*

Offline ingagroznaya

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: June 03, 2007, 03:54:10 PM
In fact where is Bernhard? I want to thank him one more time for Burt.com. It looks like I'm going to make whooping $2,000 on flash cards alone this year. It's all so good...I should consider selling them to my neighbors.

Offline a-sharp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: June 03, 2007, 04:00:31 PM
I actually like the Inga's method with the flashcards. I'm going to give it a try.

However, I prefer the use of the word "analysis" over "thinking" - which is a completely different thing altogether, much to broad and essentially inaccurate, if indeed we are talking about actually anyalizing music... Use correct terms - even - no, especially with the little folks. It's the only way they're going to learn.

My 4.5 YO loves to learn "big" words. If it's the right word, it's the right word. Use it - that's what it's for. JMNSHO of course.

Any other good tips on using flashcards?  :D

m1469 ... www.burt.com ?? It pulls up an automotive site for me ...  ???

Offline ingagroznaya

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: June 03, 2007, 05:22:21 PM
I'm all for "analysis" when it's appropriate.
It's burtnco.com. A great web site which will give you 40% discount if you are ready to end music illiteracy for good in a small town.

Offline stevehopwood

• PS Silver Member
Reply #49 on: June 03, 2007, 05:26:16 PM
Okay, back to the topic  :D

Why do people think, that learning note names is so difficult?

There are 7 of it: C D E F G A B - then the same note names repeat

(Btw. they are similar to the alphabet.)

So if we write a continuous scale from the bass to the treble in the piano system,
we can find all notes just by counting

This is so easy, and it's easy to understand.
It is, for us; the intellectual side does not normally cause adults problems.

Kids are different. Just because something is logical and simple, does not mean they will grasp it easily. Would that they did - our lives would be so much easier.  ;D

There is a popular fallacy that children learn easily. Teachers will deny the truth of this, and point out that children only learn after endless repetition of whatever it is they have to learn. That is where the flashcards come in, or whatever method is favoured by the teacher. Different teachers will not use flashcards; they will all use repetition, often for substantial periods of time.

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert