Piano Forum

Master Teacher Christopher Elton – Never Ending Impetus
With 50 years at the Royal Academy of Music and an international teaching career, Professor Christopher Elton has gained unique experience in how to coach accomplished artists. In this unique interview for Piano Street, Elton shares his insights and views on the big perspective. Read more >>

Topic: Recording of Liszts Ballads  (Read 4663 times)

Offline Diabolos

• PS Silver Member
Recording of Liszts Ballads
on: August 18, 2002, 02:37:30 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking for a good recording of Liszts Ballads; since the 2nd one does have three possible endings, I was wondering if anyone knows a recording where all of these are played.

Thanks a lot.

Regards  8)

Offline martin_s

• PS Silver Member
Re: Recording of Liszts Ballads
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2002, 07:03:07 PM
I am sure all three endings are represented in Leslie Howard's recording of Liszt sämtliche pianomusic. Not that I have actually heard it myself, but I once had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Howard, and he told me he had recorded something like 90 CDs of Liszt, including ALL versions of ALL pieces! :P
Can't remember what record lable it is on though, but check it up in Amzon or something... good luck.    ;)

Offline martin_s

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 18, 2002, 07:04:35 PM
Oh, and by the way, Mr. Howard is a really brilliant pianist too, so I am sure his recordings are great!!

Offline Pianorak

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 18, 2002, 08:25:41 PM
Leslie Howard's Recording of the Complete Piano Music of Franz Liszt on "hyperion" comprises 94 CDs.The two ballades (S170 and S171) are on Volume 2: CDA66301. Not sure about the different endings though.
C. Arrau and L. Kentner's recordings of the Ballade No. 2 are remarkable.

Offline Diabolos

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 18, 2002, 10:04:58 PM
Thanks a lot for the quick and informative replies, guys.
I never heard of Leslie Howard until yet, but I'll certainly try to get one of his recordings (amazon's still the best source for that, isn't it?  8)  )

Thanks again.

Regards

Offline martin_s

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 19, 2002, 12:00:11 PM
Gosh, imagine to record 94 (NINETYFOUR!!) CDs. I think he said there was one piece that exists in 7 different versions... hmm... Apparently he (Mr. H.) has just recently discovered some more bits and pieces in some archive somewhere, that he intend to record on a 95th CD...   :o

Offline Diabolos

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 20, 2002, 08:36:20 PM
That's something, isn't it?  8) I guess that'd be a good example for somebody specializing in the works of a single composer..although 95 CDs is still a whole lot of music.

Offline Diabolos

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 02, 2002, 07:27:59 PM
Guys, that recording is great!

I also found another one for comparison, it's by Arrau, who was (which I didn't know) taught by one of Liszts students in Berlin; he's actually a little closer to the point that Liszt's piano music comes down to (whatever that may be).

By the way: What's your favourite piece by Liszt?  8)

Benn

Reply #8 on: September 03, 2002, 06:05:31 PM
Two words my friend... Claudio Arrau!!! He was indeed taught in Berlin by Martin Krauss who was one of Liszts finest pupils. Like the etudes, i'm sure you'll fine lots of pleasure listening to his ballads. :)

Offline jaypiano

Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 09:14:22 PM
There's a magnificent recording of the Ballades by French pianist Jean Dubé, with Naxos.  It was released in 2005.

Offline tompilk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 09:43:00 PM
talk about digging up an old thread...
you'd be in prison if i cared to use a personification...
Working on: Schubert - Piano Sonata D.664, Ravel - Sonatine, Ginastera - Danzas Argentinas

Offline jaypiano

Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 10:27:36 AM
Tompilk--it amused me to go back to one of the earliest threads here.  I'm new here, and just wanted to zap across the years.  I don't like limits.

Offline tompilk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 11:02:12 AM
Tompilk--it amused me to go back to one of the earliest threads here.  I'm new here, and just wanted to zap across the years.  I don't like limits.
fair enough! can't argue with that.
Please take no offence... it's my sense of humor.
Anyway, it's increased my post count by 2. lol.  ::)
Working on: Schubert - Piano Sonata D.664, Ravel - Sonatine, Ginastera - Danzas Argentinas

Offline jaypiano

Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 01:06:01 PM
No prob, no offence, tomplik.  (And I like your humor.)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert