Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: word association threads  (Read 2404 times)

Offline ada

• PS Silver Member
word association threads
on: March 01, 2007, 11:32:47 PM
Nils, please put a ban on further word association threads. They are pointless, fatuous and soooooooo boring.

One word association thread you can ignore. But now a second one has cropped up. There is absolutely no need for this unchecked proliferation.

You have the power! Please make this stop!

Bach almost persuades me to be a Christian.
- Roger Fry, quoted in Virginia Woolf

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Re: word association threads
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 12:52:09 AM
some people enjoy these threads. This is just your opinion so its not fair to end them. There's only 2 of them and the second almost nobody uses anyway so why do you care it barely uses any space.
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline ada

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 01:42:54 AM
some people enjoy these threads. This is just your opinion so its not fair to end them.

You are of course entirely right  :)

But there was absolutely no need to start another of these stupid pointless threads. It should be expunged.
Bach almost persuades me to be a Christian.
- Roger Fry, quoted in Virginia Woolf

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 01:48:23 AM
i agree with that
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline ihatepop

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 09:12:49 AM
Oh...now theres three... :o

ihatepop

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 09:41:31 AM
I did question the reason for second one when it started; it is still unclear. If people want one, then let them have it. Two seems like carelessness, as a great writer once wrote...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline dnephi

Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 06:45:17 PM
Boulez...

Or anyways, I think the second one should be deleted.  The first one is cool, anyways.
For us musicians, the music of Beethoven is the pillar of fire and cloud of mist which guided the Israelites through the desert.  (Roughly quoted, Franz Liszt.)

Offline rach n bach

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 09:06:45 PM
Oh...now theres three... :o

In that case..

First base.   ;D

*cough*  Actually, I tend to think that it's kind of OK to have two, but anything more than that is overkill.  We could say that one is for the general usage, and one is for Alistair and others who like to use "big words."  A couple of people have wanted for the disscussion to stay on thier level, and with two going, it means that there is a good chance that our average high-schooler will be able to participate in one of them.

But of course, if we had three...

RnB
I'm an optimist... but I don't think it's helping...

Offline letters

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 08:04:17 PM
i think they're fine, i just hate that you cant delete it from your "show new replies to your posts" page because it always comes up and its so annoying!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline jre58591

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 08:05:21 PM
i think we should only have that huge one thats almost 120 pages. the other(s) should be deleted.
Please Visit: https://www.pianochat.co.nr
My YouTube Videos: https://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=jre58591

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 10:52:47 PM
Alistair and others who like to use "big words."
Some say that "size matters" and, in certain contexts, perhaps it does, but as far as words are concerned, I have no more care for the size of those that I use than I do for the length of pieces that I write or the numbers of notes in them or the length of individual phrases in them, as long as everything is appropriately proportioned so as to make decent sense; now, in this paragraph, there is one word that happens to contain thirteen letters but, at the same time, there are not far short of 100 words in it that contain only one syllable, so I don't see the point of separate "big word" and "small word" assocation threads...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline G.W.K

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 05:14:43 PM
I only post in that type of posts mainly of boredom or to confuse (or as I say: Discombobulate) others with long words. I think the others should be deleted and only one left...but now the posts are being used less and less.

G.W.K
When I'm right, no one remembers. When I'm wrong, no one forgets!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert