variations
4 (80%)
polyphonic
1 (20%)
suite
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: goldbergs  (Read 3780 times)

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
goldbergs
on: March 10, 2007, 02:19:37 PM
I've been curious of this for along time. start voting
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline nicco

• PS Silver Member
Re: goldbergs
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 02:24:30 PM
"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline mikey6

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 11:40:19 PM
 ???
Never look at the trombones. You'll only encourage them.
Richard Strauss

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 11:59:28 PM
Okay, they're variations.

But they're variations on a BASS LINE, not a melody.  Once you know that, you'll be much happier when listening.  And beware the descending chromatic tetrachord.

Offline leahcim

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 03:36:02 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldberg_Variations

The Goldberg Variations were once seen as a dry and rather boring technical exercise. Today, however, they are seen as merely dry and rather boring...

The joys of wikipedia? :D

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 02:31:38 AM
[lau] 10:01 pm: like in 10/4 i think those little slurs everywhere are pointless for the music, but I understand if it was for improving technique

Offline thecrow

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 08:06:16 PM
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I love listening and playing (sight reading really) the Goldberg Variations. The first time I heard them was in Northern Ontario (Canada) at a friend's cottage (I was 20 years old). I was relaxing in the lake, just floating around when my friend put Glenn Gould's 2nd recording of the Goldbergs on and turned up the volume so I could hear it on the lake. It was incredible! I'm not sure what it is but I love to listen to it and I also get great satisfaction when I play these variations (even though I'm playing them very slowly). Maybe because this music is attached to the great memories of being up at the cottage, I'm not sure. Anyway, I know it's a bit off the original topic, I just can't help myself.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert