Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: "misc advice needed"  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
"misc advice needed"
on: March 20, 2007, 12:24:40 AM
Stolen... a "Kelly"

Hi,
I would like to know how others handle some of their financial
charges within the studio. I am a tad different because I teach 12
months out of the year. I need to update my policy to compensate for
somethings.

First, I have just finished my 3rd and final recital this year. If a
student participates in 2, they get a small trophy (I do not require
participation, just encourage) I have at least two Holiday parties
for the kids and parents if they choose to come. I give out various
awards through out the year. I have never charged an activity fee.
But what I have spent this year with everything has gotten a little
over the budget alocated. I am wondering how others handle this
situation. I feel that charging everyone when they don't participate
isn't fair, but how do you determine a fair and equitable guideline.

I do make up lessons for the students within reason. Some of the
makeups are done through group lessons. Others participate in these
group lessons and as of yet, I haven't charged. Do you charge the
same, or how do you handle this?

I will have more questions later, but I'd appreciate so constructive
advice.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Re: "misc advice needed"
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 12:42:36 AM
anything you do beyond the regular lessons is going to come out of your time and pocket.  most parents can't afford the 'extras.'  that is where professional teachers just grin and bear it.  taking in some extra cash when they find a couple of parents who are really 'into it.'  you can explain you are short for some 'prizes.'  or for some 'refreshments.'  and really - after a while you don't have to pay so much.  but, it's a labor of love at first.  you have to get a 'following.'

Offline amanfang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 02:39:52 AM
that is where professional teachers just grin and bear it.

Um, not necessarily.  So anyone who charges parents is not professional?

Charge a "registration fee" at the beginning of the semester.  Something like $30 or so per student, due with the first month's tuition.  Use it to cover other expenses throughout the year, whether parents choose to come to these things or not. 
When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do.

Offline thecrow

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 04:48:20 PM
Hi, this is my very first posting in this forum (any forum that is). I came across your posting and understand your position. Instead of trying to charge the students more to cover these costs have you tried to reduce costs on your end? For example, do you rent a location for these recitals? If so, since you're putting on so many a year have you tried to get the cost reduced? You can also try this with the prizes and awards. I only do one recital a year and hand out medallions with the student's name and the year engraved on the back. I only have 12 students but I still insisted on a bulk discount. As for parties and food have you asked the parents toe   each bring a dish to contribute to the table (this will save you money, time and it's less stressfull). Even with my few students I'm always looking to cut costs somewhere, somehow. Last year I rented a church which had a grand piano (the cost was $50.00 Canadian for two hours). This year I'm trying to nail down a different location that would be less expensive or even free (school, dance studio, fellow teacher with a very large studio - I'm still trying to come up with alternatives). It's a little easier for me because I have only 12 students so I don't need a lot of room. Anyway, good luck with your future recitals!

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 10:01:08 PM
maybe it is entirely dependent upon the area in which you live.  amanfang's idea is a great one if the parents don't balk at the idea.  i tend to be like 'thecrow' and try to make them informal and not really as expensive.  i didn't mean that it was more professional not to charge.  i just meant that it seems you find these things out by what the market bears and what people want.  some parents just want the basics and don't want to pay for more (more lessons per week - recitals) and others become interested in the idea if they see that they won't be consistently draining them of money. 

for instance - with some of the professional associations - you get a better rate on the location for your recitals because you are blending in your students with other teachers students and the amount of people gives everyone a better price.  but, if there are not the quantity of students in your area to do this ...

you certainly can do this type of thing on your own in an informal setting.  i used to recitals in  my livingroom.  that was the location.  the refreshments were what the parents brought and whatever i made (homemade).  i used to have a favorite dollar store and a music store to buy prizes of whatever sort - and make up games and things.  it wasn't a stressful thing.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert