Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: Constructing a program  (Read 1465 times)

Offline BachaRach

• PS Silver Member
Constructing a program
on: February 28, 2004, 07:54:27 PM
Are there any definite processes by which to construct a recital program? And if so, what are they?

I've been giving recitals for awhile, lol, but I wonder what some other pianists think about their construction.

Any suggestions about this one:

J. S. Bach ... French Suite No. 2 in Cm
W. A. Mozart ... Sonata in A K331
F. Liszt ... Les Funerailles, Octobre 1949
-- -- -- -- --
F. Chopin ... Polonaises, Op. 40 (A, Cm)
S. Rachmaninoff ... Preludes in C#m, Gm, Gb, Bm
B. Bartok ... Sonata (OR Rach Etude-Tableaux op. 39/7)

It seems it's very difficult to find balance and a meaningful musical message, nevermind the juxtaposition of certain tonalities with each other....ahhh... :)
--BachaRach

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Re: Constructing a program
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 12:26:30 PM
I'd think a program should be pleasing to hear and it should have the momentum of a sonata/multi-movement piece.  So the opening should be bright and colorful, the middle of the recital should be solemn and slow, and then finish off with something virtuosic.  

"Any suggestions about this one: "
Do you mean in that order?

If the topic of the recital is about showing certain composers, then that'd be fine.  But for how it sounds, I'd try a differenct combinations.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert