Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Brahms scherzo op. 4  (Read 3476 times)

Offline vlhorowitz

• PS Silver Member
Brahms scherzo op. 4
on: March 31, 2007, 04:50:01 AM
I've decided to give this piece some time. It seems that Brahms didn't burn it for good reason; however, judging by its popularity...   

Does anyone have any recordings or ideas about the piece ? Thx.
"Sometimes my fingers work, sometimes not, - the hell with them! I want to sing anyway," WK, 1953.

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
Re: Brahms scherzo op. 4
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 12:30:37 AM
Katchen pwns this wikid piece.
Da SDC Piano Forum :
https://www.dasdc.net/

Offline burstroman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 12:41:37 AM
This a passionate work too often neglected.  Check out recordings by Julius Katchen or Wilhelm Kempff.  As a kid, I heard a recital by Myra Hess  who played this along in a recitala with a late Beethoven sonata.

Offline vlhorowitz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 04:38:50 AM
Excellent thanks! I currently have recordings of this piece by backhaus and zimerman. I'll be sure to find the kempff and katchen ones soon. If anyone has these, of course, I'd be willing to trade.
"Sometimes my fingers work, sometimes not, - the hell with them! I want to sing anyway," WK, 1953.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert