Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Sad Sounding Piano Chords  (Read 124593 times)

Offline dough_mouse

• PS Silver Member
Sad Sounding Piano Chords
on: April 04, 2007, 12:41:03 AM
What are some really sad-sounding chords/chord progressions in your opinion?
Doughnut Disturb.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: Sad Sounding Chords
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 01:15:57 AM
Successive minor harmony in the keys whose roots form an augmented triad, e.g.
Bm - Ebm - Gm.

I have always thought this cycle particularly haunting but I suppose anything loses its charm if it is overdone.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 01:27:38 AM
mM7 chords.  That's a minor triad with a M7 -- C, Eb, G, B.  I think it has some kind of sad quality possibly.  It can sound kind of nauseous or like it's crying if you play that around the circle of fifths -- CmM7, FmM7, BbmM7, etc.  Have some fun and warmup in front of a group with that.

C, F, B  resolving to C, F, A   Just a major triad with a appog on a #4 resolving down to the third.  That pattern can keep going down by whole tones, the chords moving down by whole tones.  Sounds like a sigh.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 02:41:06 AM
I don't believe there is such a thing as a sad-sounding chord or chord progression. The quality of the chords is determined by its timbre and voice-leading from one chord to another.

For example, Brahms's 4th Symphony opens with a beautiful, melancolic E-minor chord progression, but it would not have the expressive quality it has without the haunting voice-leading of the melody.

Phil

Offline mcgillcomposer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 06:06:03 PM
I don't believe there is such a thing as a sad-sounding chord or chord progression. The quality of the chords is determined by its timbre and voice-leading from one chord to another.

For example, Brahms's 4th Symphony opens with a beautiful, melancolic E-minor chord progression, but it would not have the expressive quality it has without the haunting voice-leading of the melody.

Phil

Ya, Brahms 4 is great for "sad" sounding progressions. Check out the opening of the final movement...now THAT is harmony! It is a passacaglia (harmonic progression that repeats over and over...although brahms being Brahms modifies this as the piece progresses).

It is in e minor and opens with a iv6 chord

iv6 - iio6 - i - iv6 - V/V - i6 - [Fr 43 - V] of iv ---> and back to the beginning :P
Asked if he had ever conducted any Stockhausen,Sir Thomas Beecham replied, "No, but I once trod in some."

Offline counterpoint

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 06:42:35 PM
I don't believe there is such a thing as a sad-sounding chord or chord progression.

I don't either!

The character of a musical piece is not defined by the used chords - but by the rhythm, the tempo and the articulation. There are some C major pieces, that sound really sad and depressed (for example the beginning of Schumann's 2nd Symphony), and there are some C minor pieces, that sound exceptionally funny and sparkling (Rondeau and Capriccio from Bach's Partita 2).
If it doesn't work - try something different!

Offline mcgillcomposer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 05:05:16 AM
I don't either!

The character of a musical piece is not defined by the used chords - but by the rhythm, the tempo and the articulation. There are some C major pieces, that sound really sad and depressed (for example the beginning of Schumann's 2nd Symphony), and there are some C minor pieces, that sound exceptionally funny and sparkling (Rondeau and Capriccio from Bach's Partita 2).

You have a great point here...but the chords should factor into the other elements you mentioned. I think what  you mean is that the entire ensemble of these various parameters is what creates a particular effect.

- D.
Asked if he had ever conducted any Stockhausen,Sir Thomas Beecham replied, "No, but I once trod in some."

Offline Barbosa-piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 05:58:04 AM
       There is a song by twentysevenfold (spelling?) (Yes, a rock band...) that has an awesome choral part in its middle - The Wicked End. The chord progression is hauntingly beautiful and sad. I stick to classical music to the end, but this song just broke through me. I suspect the progression has been inspired a classical piece... :P
      I'm yet to decipher those.

Rachmaninoff and Brahms wrote miraculous sad chord progressions, but Rachmaninoff goes beyond sad sometimes- His "far away" chords can take you places.
Feel free to follow my music blog! themusicalcause.blogspot.com[/url]
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert