Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Height and Hand Size  (Read 2247 times)

Offline comme_le_vent

• PS Silver Member
Height and Hand Size
on: March 02, 2004, 02:59:00 PM
Do height and hand size affect the ability/technique/sound of the performer.

I have wondered this ever since i heard rechmaninov play, even through the hiss his sound is extremely powerful, and i wondered if this was due to the sheer size of the man and his hands.

what are your thoughts?
https://www.chopinmusic.net/sdc/

Great artists aim for perfection, while knowing that perfection itself is impossible, it is the driving force for them to be the best they can be - MC Hammer

Offline Chopin_fan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Height and Hand Size
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 07:08:04 PM
I think that hand size effects only little bit to your technical skills. But also when there are some small intervals or scales it's easier to play with smaller hand.
Height? I don't think so...

Offline anda

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 04:09:15 PM
size doesn't matter ! :) i've heard a short young female pianist (about 90 pounds, i'd say) playing prokofiev 3rd and i could hear her over tutti - over the trombones and the trumpets and all. a small figure can be compensated technically - speed of attack can usually result in a good ample sound just as well as a heavy arm.

of course it's easier for a big fellow to play this kind of stuff - one of my teachers used to say brahms 2nd shouldn't be played by anyone under 200 pounds (of course he was about 120 and played it wonderful :))

as for small hands - depends how small. i can't reach all 9th, and i can't reach any 10th, but the only work i was ever forbidden was brahms - variations on his own theme. i'd say execpt for a few works, everything is possible - and the only real problem is if you could play that work regardless of your hands' size. i don't see this as a problem (even though i've had my share "chords i can't reach")

Offline scriabinsmyman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 08:02:07 PM
i'm 5'2", and on good days, have a span of 10 keys...when it comes to playing rach or something similar, i find myself rolling or breaking up many of the LH chord- i think it adds a special effect. if rolling or breaking up the chord doesn't sound right, then i dont play all the notes in the chord. i really dont think size matters- you can always make anything work, unless you're so little you can't reach the pedals  ;)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert