Piano Forum

Poll

Only these Editions

Henle
Peters
Dover
Schirmer
others (please state)

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Best Beethoven Sonatas Edition  (Read 12201 times)

Offline invictious

• PS Silver Member
Best Beethoven Sonatas Edition
on: April 09, 2007, 07:58:53 AM
I know this thread has been done before, I did some extensive searching, but opinions vary too widely.

Some time has passed before something like this has popped up before. I plan to get the whole collection, so I want the pennies to be well spent.

which edition do you think is the best? Best as in accuracy, hard to define, but hope you get the idea?

I am not interested in what you have, but rather, what you think is the best.

Bach - Partita No.2
Scriabin - Etude 8/12
Debussy - L'isle Joyeuse
Liszt - Un Sospiro

Goal:
Prokofiev - Toccata

>LISTEN<

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member
Re: Best Beethoven Sonatas Edition
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 09:01:52 AM
...Barenreiter?

Offline el nino

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 10:28:32 AM
henle? schott?

Offline counterpoint

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 11:54:53 AM
Any modern (Urtext) edition will do. The differences of all the Urtext editions are neglectable.
If it doesn't work - try something different!

Offline gruffalo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 12:49:07 PM
Urtext are very good.

Offline nicco

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 01:08:15 PM
Henle, naturally
"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 02:29:40 PM
AHAHAHA who voted for Schirmer?!? XD

I have the Dover edition- Schenker is a good editor, and I think it's the best bang for your buck- Henle in general is better (thus I voted for it), but much more expensive. (of course, that could have changed since the last time I was looking for a Beethoven sonata edition, which was about 4 years ago.   ;) )

Phil

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 05:26:55 PM
Henle is always well printed on nice paper and they usually try to put the page turns somewhere sensible too, which does help! But I think one can easily justify having more than one edition of the 32: I've got Tovey, which has a lot going for it though it's an 'educational' edition, and Liszt, the latter in some cheap 1900-ish reprint with all 32 in one volume arranged, believe it or not, in order of difficulty. OK, few of us would argue about the first and last in that order, but the other 30....!
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 05:43:16 PM
Henle is always well printed on nice paper and they usually try to put the page turns somewhere sensible too, which does help! But I think one can easily justify having more than one edition of the 32: I've got Tovey, which has a lot going for it though it's an 'educational' edition, and Liszt, the latter in some cheap 1900-ish reprint with all 32 in one volume arranged, believe it or not, in order of difficulty. OK, few of us would argue about the first and last in that order, but the other 30....!

You'd be surprised...go search for all the difficulty threads on Beethoven sonatas and you'll find that there are actually a lot of people who don't think the Hammerklavier is the hardest, nor Op.49 No.2 the easiest.

About having 2 editions- if you can find them at a good price, go for it. But I also think they should be interpretively different editions- i.e. one that relies on Beethoven's marks only, like the Urtexts, and one that is more...'radical'.  I have the Dover, as I said before, but I also bought a performance edition edited by Artur Schnabel. I use the Schenker to learn out of and the Schnabel for interpretational counseling, of sorts.  :)

Phil

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 06:09:36 PM
dover
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline pita bread

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 06:19:32 PM
Tovey
Schnabel

Those are the two I use.

Offline sharon_f

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 09:09:29 PM
1. Henle
2. Tovey
Schnabel (Only as an additional reference, not as a primary source.)

I use all three.
(I know, I know I am a definitely a sheet music addict.)
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.
Albert Schweitzer

Offline invictious

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 10:41:11 PM
Well come on man, it's 32 pieces, and it's a whole bloody collection.
It's worth it to pay more, since they are important to a pianist's development, and all good pianists will have learned them, the majority of them at least.

The henle is the big blue book? Oooh goodie.
Bach - Partita No.2
Scriabin - Etude 8/12
Debussy - L'isle Joyeuse
Liszt - Un Sospiro

Goal:
Prokofiev - Toccata

>LISTEN<

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 05:14:27 AM

I've used the Dover for years but also have the Henle, which is easier for me to read but I use the Dover/Schenker out of habit. Schenker's fingerings are ludicrous and awful, that's the only downside there.

AHAHAHA who voted for Schirmer?!? XD

I have the Dover edition- Schenker is a good editor, and I think it's the best bang for your buck-

Uh, the best bargain in terms of $$$ HAS to be Op.111 Productions....  ;)
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline pita bread

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 07:38:57 AM
suck up...

I can't stand reading from the Dover, it's too cluttered. The Tovey is just really pleasing to the eyes and contains excellent notes. The Schnabel is useful for looking up unconventional fingerings that work really well. I also use it for tempo marking reference; the Tovey tempo markings are a bit on the conservative side...

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 03:49:09 PM

Uh, the best bargain in terms of $$$ HAS to be Op.111 Productions....  ;)

Well, I personally would rather spend $40 on a couple hard-bound books than $40 on ink trying to print off 600 pages... ;D

Phil

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 11:47:48 AM
I use Dover/Schenker, but usually mark it up by referencing my Henle and Schnabel.  I scrap many of Schenker's fingerings though.
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline invictious

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: April 14, 2007, 08:58:12 AM
Bought both volumes of Beethoven Sonata today, HENLE.
Made a hole in my pocket, but it was worth it.
Bach - Partita No.2
Scriabin - Etude 8/12
Debussy - L'isle Joyeuse
Liszt - Un Sospiro

Goal:
Prokofiev - Toccata

>LISTEN<

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: April 16, 2007, 02:16:36 AM
Both Henle editions are horribly overrated.  I use Dover, which is in fact very clean, although one day, when Barenreiter gets one out, I shall get it (no Barenreiter at this moment, i think.  let me know otherwise!)

Tecla is also very interesting, but overpriced.  We should make a project to collect a bunch of early editions and post them in the site.  That would be reason to get Golden merbership (which at the moment I consider on par with Henle's editions  8))

I consult Peter's Arrau edition often, and the Bulow Schirmer edition, greatly maligned by the urtext generation, has great ideas that came from probably the most scholarly student of the best read and greatest student of the only important and most trusted student of Beethoven.

There is no Czerny edition (but consult his treatise on how to play Beethoven), and no Liszt edition, so the Bulow edition is a very important document that people often don't understand and underappreciate.
Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  :)

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: April 16, 2007, 02:19:41 AM

Willis, what are you talking about?

Liszt?

Would you scan and post?
Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  :)

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: April 17, 2007, 05:52:06 PM
Liszt?

Would you scan and post?

No, sorry, it's 556 pages and I've got a life to live!
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline frederic chopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: April 17, 2007, 05:59:35 PM
Both Henle editions are horribly overrated. I use Dover, which is in fact very clean, although one day, when Barenreiter gets one out, I shall get it (no Barenreiter at this moment, i think. let me know otherwise!)
I would be interested to see the new complete Henle edition with Perahia's fingerings - the ones already out have interesting insights into the fingerings he uses.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
♫ LTCL Piano Performance
♫ ABRSM Grade 8 Theory of Music (Distinction)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert