Piano Forum

“Piano Dreams” - Exploring the Chinese Piano Explosion
The motivations for learning the piano are diverse, ranging from personal enjoyment to cultural appreciation and professional aspirations. While some see it as a way to connect with cultural heritage, others pursue it as a path to fame and fortune. In the movie “Piano Dreams” director Gary Lennon documents the struggles and sacrifices of three wannabe piano stars in modern China. Read more >>

Topic: Recordings of Beethoven 3rd Piano Concerto  (Read 8358 times)

Offline mmro

• PS Silver Member
Recordings of Beethoven 3rd Piano Concerto
on: April 12, 2007, 03:47:32 PM
Does anyone know some good recordings for this concerto?

Thanks

Offline Alde

Re: Recordings of Beethoven 3rd Piano Concerto
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 02:51:47 AM
I like Perahia's recording.

Offline frederic chopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 07:57:38 AM
I like Perahia's recording of this too.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
♫ LTCL Piano Performance
♫ ABRSM Grade 8 Theory of Music (Distinction)

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 03:12:24 PM
i like periahs recording of everything :)
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 04:36:44 PM
I think Perahia should get aids or just stop playing the piano because every recording of him sucks balls and is the most weak and analytical playing you'll ever get. I like Richter, Rubinstein, Gilels and Solomon for Beethoven 3.

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 12:06:16 AM
I think Perahia should get aids or just stop playing the piano because every recording of him sucks balls and is the most weak and analytical playing you'll ever get. I like Richter, Rubinstein, Gilels and Solomon for Beethoven 3.

i have absolutly no respect for you and your big headed comment >:(

why would u say such a thing about periah
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 04:54:48 AM
Perahia is boring.

Beethoven 3

Gould w. Karajan
Some of the Gilels

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 05:27:10 AM

i have absolutly no respect for you and your big headed comment >:(

why would u say such a thing about periah
LOL, BECAUSE HE SUCKS. You call me bigheaded?

mozart is very overrated
You seem to have a rather strong opinion for an untalented 8-year old. Perahia is one of the worst pianist on the market today, while his early recs were ok, his last recitals are just plain boring, without emotion and not saying anything, his Chopin Ballade no. 4 is just retarded, his Beethoven annoys the hell out of me, he always has this soft careful tone even in the coda of the fourth ballade. Perahia must have smaller testicles than Argerich deeyaam.

Offline jre58591

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 05:32:36 AM
i second the motion of proclaiming perahia's boringness. hes one of the worst ive heard, especially for bach and schumann. *barf* id have to agree with kassaa on every point, especially the one about argerich, hahaha.

for this concerto, id say zimerman does a really good job. gilels gets a pick from me also.
Please Visit: https://www.pianochat.co.nr
My YouTube Videos: https://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=jre58591

Offline nicco

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 11:52:20 AM

Seconded, thirded and fourthed. Although...his rach vids on youtube are not bad...
"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline frederic chopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 12:12:45 PM
I think it is rather harsh for one to say that all of Perahia's recordings **** .

Many of his earlier recordings are in fact exemplary and his earlier recordings of Beethoven sonatas are superior to the majority of recordings currently on the market. I have to say, though, that since his injury, I have not had the same enthusiasm for his recordings apart from those of Bach which offer a refreshing viewpoint. At a recent recital of his that I attended, his playing of Bach's Partita No 2 was absolutely brilliant and would definitely give Angela Hewitt something to think about!

(Don't get me wrong, I love Angela Hewitt and have all her Bach recordings!)
♫ LTCL Piano Performance

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 12:55:51 PM
I think it is rather harsh for one to say that all of Perahia's recordings **** .

Many of his earlier recordings are in fact exemplary and his earlier recordings of Beethoven sonatas are superior to the majority of recordings currently on the market. I have to say, though, that since his injury, I have not had the same enthusiasm for his recordings apart from those of Bach which offer a refreshing viewpoint. At a recent recital of his that I attended, his playing of Bach's Partita No 2 was absolutely brilliant and would definitely give Angela Hewitt something to think about!

(Don't get me wrong, I love Angela Hewitt and have all her Bach recordings!)
OMG did he record the complete Beethoven sonatas? Blasphemy. All these views how he would do the Appassionata and Op.111, omg.

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 01:04:05 PM

Perahia must have smaller testicles than Argerich deeyaam.

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Offline frederic chopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 01:11:04 PM
OMG did he record the complete Beethoven sonatas? Blasphemy. All these views how he would do the Appassionata and Op.111, omg.
:o

Which Beethoven sonata recordings of his have you listened to?
♫ LTCL Piano Performance

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 01:32:19 PM
:o

Which Beethoven sonata recordings of his have you listened to?
Op. 14, horrible.

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 01:53:06 PM
i happen to enjoy his opus 14  >:(

Offline frederic chopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: April 17, 2007, 02:01:17 PM
I really enjoyed his Op 7 and Op 22.
♫ LTCL Piano Performance

Offline deboerbarry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: April 30, 2007, 03:45:58 PM
What a load of juvenile comments.

Perahia is a fine pianist but I don't particularly like his Beethoven concerti or the few sonatas he has recorded. However, I listened to a live BBC recording of sonata No 4 some years ago and was very impressed - it certainly wasn't laid-back or boring. He played the Chopin Impromptus in the same recital and they were stunning - much better than his recorded version.

For my money, the earlier Kempff (mono) set of the sonatas is my choice with the occasional Schnabel for a rather different view. In the concerti, the best "Emperor" I ever heard was Geza Anda live in Sheffield in the 60's. Best No 4 concerto was Kempff but I do like the Rubinstein/Previn one for an alternative (and very mature) view. Best No 3 (for me) was Annie Fischer but the Kempff is glorious, and best No 2 was Solomon. I rate both Arrau and Brendel as great pianists but their Beethoven often leaves me cold. Cziffra was about as extrovert as you could get but his Beethoven sonata No 22 was warm, measured and moving. Generalisations about pianists mean absolutely nothing.

But these are only my personal views. Others have, and are entitled to, different views and I respect them. Music is, after all, a very personal thing.  Comments like "this pianist sucks", and " hope he gets aids" tells me more about you than about the pianist.
Bechstein model B grand
Chopin, Greig, Beethoven, Debussy

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: April 30, 2007, 08:35:01 PM
But these are only my personal views. Others have, and are entitled to, different views and I respect them. Music is, after all, a very personal thing.  Comments like "this pianist sucks", and " hope he gets aids" tells me more about you than about the pianist.
You know, the aids-comment was a positive comment. A life-changing emotional experience might actually get some feeling into a performance of his. Just that you interpret my comment in such a narrow-minded way and don't see it as a nice metaphor says more about you than about the pianist.

Offline frederic chopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: April 30, 2007, 09:19:54 PM
You know, the aids-comment was a positive comment. A life-changing emotional experience might actually get some feeling into a performance of his. Just that you interpret my comment in such a narrow-minded way and don't see it as a nice metaphor says more about you than about the pianist.

Wishing someone ill health is never acceptable and can never be passed off as a positive comment.
♫ LTCL Piano Performance

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: April 30, 2007, 11:50:10 PM
Wishing someone ill health is never acceptable and can never be passed off as a positive comment.

Right.

Offline cygnusdei

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: May 01, 2007, 12:05:54 AM
I recommend Christian Zacharias - his sound is very fresh, plus you get a great coupling with the triple concerto, also one of the best performances on record.

I have Perahia's recordings  (Concertos # 1-4) - they are by no means lacking, and Solti's accompaniment is first rate (my yardstick is the quasi glissandi in the the tutti of concerto # 1 - good orchestras actually play the notes). Also look for the awesome interplay of the piano and timpani in the coda of Concerto #3 (3rd movement).  I find the timpani timid in some other recordings.

Offline ericsatie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: May 14, 2007, 02:13:05 PM
I like the recording of Friedrich Gulda & the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra most. His recordings of the other concertos are wonderful too.

Offline failed

Reply #23 on: May 15, 2007, 12:18:41 AM
Zimerman, Bernstein! I have a video and it's really great..

Offline jas

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: May 15, 2007, 12:43:13 PM
LOL, BECAUSE HE SUCKS.

<< Snip >>

You seem to have a rather strong opinion for an untalented 8-year old.

<< Snip >>

his Chopin Ballade no. 4 is just retarded
Christ, that's pathetic. "HE SUCKS" and "retarded" are stand-by words for any eight-year old to use for something he personally doesn't like and can't think of anything useful to say, so I'm surprised that you don't see the irony yourself. And to say Perahia should get AIDS just because you don't like his playing is one of the most pathetically babyish things I've heard anyone on this forum say, and the competition is stiff.

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: May 15, 2007, 05:10:16 PM
Christ, that's pathetic. "HE SUCKS" and "retarded" are stand-by words for any eight-year old to use for something he personally doesn't like and can't think of anything useful to say, so I'm surprised that you don't see the irony yourself. And to say Perahia should get AIDS just because you don't like his playing is one of the most pathetically babyish things I've heard anyone on this forum say, and the competition is stiff.
Well analytical and totally non-emotional playing aren't stand by words of an 8-year old, but you simply just ignore that to post your self-indulged pile of rubbish? My statements were just to compensate the Perahia-reverring in the previous posts.

I already explained the AIDS-thing, and I strongly disagree with the view that wishing someone ill is a bad thing, especially when talking about art when life-changing experiences like horrible diseases will actually influence someones way of of expressing himself. It's a pity that Perahia actually needs it, but I want the best for him :) . I apologize if I offended anyone with my comment though, I should have expressed myself more clearly and maybe a bit less harsh.

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: May 15, 2007, 05:46:28 PM
i strongly disagree with the view that wishing someone ill is a bad thing, especially when talking about art when life-changing experiences like horrible diseases will actually influence someones way of of expressing himself.

Music is about expression and yes, good and bad life experiences help us to re-connect with music .
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline jas

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: May 15, 2007, 06:54:41 PM
Well analytical and totally non-emotional playing aren't stand by words of an 8-year old, but you simply just ignore that to post your self-indulged pile of rubbish?
Oh, ok. In that case I totally take it back - you used the word "analytical" so your post wasn't at all immature, it was obviously that of a real music critic. ::)

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: May 15, 2007, 08:07:58 PM
Oh, ok. In that case I totally take it back - you used the word "analytical" so your post wasn't at all immature, it was obviously that of a real music critic. ::)
WHEN exactly did I say I was a music critic, I just have an opinion based on the fact that I consider his playing non-emotional and analytical, and while it is obviously very intellectual, it just misses the most essential part of any form of art. I don't have to analyze his playing note for note just to hear that I hate his playing? It is obviously very intellectual playing, and his Beethoven editing is wonderful, but he fails at the performing part.

Offline jacobwynn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: May 22, 2007, 07:27:17 AM
Beethoven concerto 3.

I like the oldies personally. My favourite for all the Beethoven concertos is Wilhelm Kempff: orthodox but creative, glorious!

I was reading this thread and gradually losing the will to live with all the negative comments, until deboerbarry brought some sanity back.

I also like Gilels.
Last thing he said: "Play Bach for me".

Offline ryanyee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: July 27, 2007, 11:35:28 AM
maurizio pollini's recording? the one with the vienna phiharmoniker.

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: July 27, 2007, 01:28:04 PM
...how about...Leon Fleischer 8)

...I have that Pollini on video...should check that...

Offline ryanyee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: August 10, 2007, 07:29:56 AM
...how about...Leon Fleischer 8)

...I have that Pollini on video...should check that...
can you tell me where i can get that video?

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: August 11, 2007, 01:39:42 PM
can you tell me where i can get that video?

Ummmm I had it on LaserDisc. It's a DG release and also comes with the Emperor. It's with the Vienna Phil with Karl Bohm conducting. Not sure if that's the same as the one you have. I think my copy was purchased in early 1990s, so if you want it...erm...:-\

Offline ryanyee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: August 15, 2007, 07:34:14 AM
Ummmm I had it on LaserDisc. It's a DG release and also comes with the Emperor. It's with the Vienna Phil with Karl Bohm conducting. Not sure if that's the same as the one you have. I think my copy was purchased in early 1990s, so if you want it...erm...:-\
that's the one i'm looking for! my teacher lent me that copy and that's how i got to know about pollini. are there any stores still selling them?

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: August 15, 2007, 01:30:58 PM
...maybe try a good antique recording store? Or kindly ask DG to re-release it ;)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert