Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Schubert Impromptu: Op90n2  (Read 7963 times)

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Schubert Impromptu: Op90n2
on: April 15, 2007, 04:54:52 AM
Hi folks. It has been a while since my last post. I got some problems whith my recording gear. Finaly got it fixed.

About the piece, As some felow pianists posted their versions of op90 n2, and other impromptus as well. I felt compeled to post mine to. I m very fond of this piece, I have listened to it for the fisrt time, several years ago, and didnīt give it much atention. Along with  other Schubert stuff. Then years latter I started to listen to Schubert again, and started liking it more and more. then Schubert sort of grew on me, as I listened carefully to his music and tried to understand it . No doubt he is amongst the best.

In this recording I tried to manifest what I feel about Schubertīs music generaly, of course, based on my knowledge at this moment. I just rec. it a few hours ago. I have been studing it for a while, several months. It still has lotīs of things I would like to polish, and make it better, but thats how I can deal with this piece at this moment. It was pretty dificult to handle it, I think maibe it would be easier if I started it a little latter, maibe it was i little bit above my level when i first started studying it.  :P Somehow I worked my way to its completion.

Iīm working on beethovenīs op2n1, Itīs been much more confortable to hadle it. (I now, you must say... wait till the 4th mov.)

Coments apreciated. ;D

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Re: One more Schubert Impromptu: Op90n2
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 12:48:51 PM
always the same error. The file size is realy small. Can some one, maibe the administrator, help me out?

I tried even with very small files (500k) for test, and it doesnīt seem to work with anyone of them.

Offline nicco

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 01:16:41 PM
Its not the size, this forum currently have problems with uploading files. You can try some 3rd party upload sites like

www.megaupload.com or www.sendspace.com

Hopefully, nils and the gang will have the upload problem fixed soon.
"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 05:24:53 PM
Nicco, thanks a lot for your help.  :)

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Re: One more Schubert Impromptu: Op90n2 (fixed)
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 09:37:57 PM
Hi piano121,

Just listened to your recording.  This is a difficult Impromptu to play, given the busy passage work.  I really liked your performance--very accurate (flawless actually) with a supreme evenness of articulation.  I don't know how you manage that!  I sensed though that you could have attained a wider dynamic range in this piece, but I believe that was more a limitation of the instrument than of your playing.  The piano almost sounds like a fortepiano.  Did I guess right on that?

A very nice job!

David   
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 08:00:44 PM
Yes, you guessed it right! The piano realy sounds a lot like a fortepiano. Itīs a Schnider, about 14 years old. Other people have noticed that before. I thing it has something to do with the mics im using to. Because somehow they bring the piano to its more brighter, metalic side. I donīt have the same feeling when playing the instrument. Anyway...

So, yes, itīs hard to make the dinamics going nicely in this piano. but anyway I think itīs also a pianistīs flaw, so I share, letīs say, half the responsability. I use to practice in an upright steiway, during lessons at my teacherīs house. I think itīs much easier to bring out the nice dinamics on that instrument. No doubt about it.

But, I completely agree with you on your observation. The first thing I realise when I listened to this recording, was the lack of better dinamics. Iīll be working on this to try for a better atempt anytime soon. I must try to overcome the instrument limitation, and my own limitations anyway.

thanks for your advice!

Offline faj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 11:33:18 PM
Great !
Like Rachfan said, you played it with excellent control. Congratulations ! . I like it .

Beside the dynamic, Perhaps it's just my speaker problem, but seems you can  try to put more attention to the left hand for the articulation etc.

Anyway, you played this piece very2 well !
Thanks for sharing .

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 01:38:29 PM
Faj, thanks for your comentary. I also believe I could make left hand more clear in some aspects. Specialy cleaning up the pedal for instance. Iīm working on this right now. Also there are other thinks I might get more atention. Thanks for your insight.

Rachfan, thanks about the comentary about control, and avenness. :D I am on a cruzade to achieve evenness and control in my playing, knowing that i have a past of furious fast out of control playing.  ::)  Iīm very focused now on keeping things very controled. Iīm realy glad you notice that. Thanks a lot!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert