Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: What's the best Bach's prelude from "The well-tempered Clavier I"?  (Read 4480 times)

Offline hellfire

• PS Silver Member
I was just wondering because I want to start a new one, and I have no idea which it should be. (My first new topic  ;D)
I am a d8y

Offline counterpoint

• PS Silver Member
The D Minor is one of the easiest and one of the best at the same time  :)
If it doesn't work - try something different!

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member
G#minor from BkII IMO

Not knowing a lot of WTKs, it's the greatest P&F I've ever played. The fugue is very deep - like a sacred inner journey.

EDIT: oops BkI only >< sorry!

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
There is no "Best" one, but if you want one that is lovely and not too difficult, go for the B-flat (no 21?) or the E major (no 9).  I like the G Major (no 15) also, but it does have a rather long fugue. 

Have fun!
Teresa

Offline persona

• PS Silver Member
I agree with counterpoint. The one in d minor is the one I like best. You might also want to check out the two part invention in a minor (Nº 13), it's as easy and beautiful as the prelude.

Offline ganymed

• PS Silver Member
Sinfonia no 11 is awesome :) very very melodious. I know its not from the WTC but as nice as the one in Dm =D
"We can never know what to want, because, living only one life, we can neither compare it with our previous lives nor perfect it in our lives to come."

Milan Kundera,The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Offline kimba1055

• PS Silver Member
I was just wondering because I want to start a new one, and I have no idea which it should be. (My first new topic  ;D)
play the fuga xxii book 2  very hard but the best.

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Yes, I love that one...and esp. that performance! Maybe we can get along after all, Kimba.

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
Book 1 A minor prelude is fury.
Da SDC Piano Forum :
https://www.dasdc.net/

Offline mephisto

• PS Silver Member
True, but it's also very difficult, only one I have seriosuly studied too.

Offline richy321

• PS Silver Member
The D major prelude (no. 5) is delightful and not too difficult.  It's a good one to perfect the leggiero touch on.   The fugue is equally enjoyable and quite unusual in that it calls for the Baroque practice of over-dotting to give it a certain "swing".  Have fun with it.

Rich Y

Offline rc

• PS Silver Member
Typically I like whatever happened to be the last Bach piece I learned ;D  3 in C# is a lot of fun for the fingers - you can just let 'er rip!

I really like listening to 17 in Ab, something cheerful, would be fun to play.  It'll probably be the next prelude I learn.

Offline nasalstein

• PS Silver Member
my favorite preludes,

book 1 E-major and Bflat-minor

good enough to be played as individual pieces IMO.

Offline desordre

• PS Silver Member
G#minor from BkII IMO

Not knowing a lot of WTKs, it's the greatest P&F I've ever played. The fugue is very deep - like a sacred inner journey.

EDIT: oops BkI only >< sorry!
Dear Prongated:
 Would you excuse me for a joke? The best prelude from the first book is actually in the second one? Oh, well...poor little first book...  8)

Serious now: although I really like several numbers, my top one is the c-minor. I only hope my own version could be as good as I wish to.
 Best!
Player of what?

Offline nightingale11

• PS Silver Member

Offline drone

• PS Silver Member
Prelude no. 1 of the WTK, in C Major. :)

Offline el nino

• PS Silver Member
e minor
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert