Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: piece grading  (Read 2882 times)

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
piece grading
on: May 05, 2007, 01:48:11 PM
who puts the grades on these pieces? personally don't think they're graded very well. for example: every single scriabin prelude is marked level 8+ but sonata no8 white mass is only level 7....
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline soliloquy

• PS Silver Member
Re: piece grading
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 07:35:52 PM
lol

What is Vers la Flamme?  2?

Offline debussy symbolism

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 06:00:13 AM
Greetings.

I am also of the opinion that some of the pieces are graded unfairly, or graded somewhat erroneously. I think that it is just best not to mind the grade and just play the piece. I too want to know who decides the grades for the pieces here.

Best.

Offline nilsjohan

• Administrator
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 10:28:28 AM
The level markings are set by me and Henrik.
In the case of the Scriabin Sonata no 7 it was a misstyping which has now been corrected.

Regarding the levels in general I agree that many of them could indeed be graded differently but it often turns out to be a subjetive decision since many aspects has to be taken into consideration and weighted against each other.

Sometimes a piece might be technically and musically suitable for a certain grade but the massive length of it justifies a higher grade. The opposite might be true for complex but very short pieces.

Other doubtful cases are when the technical and interpretational/musical problems are far apart in terms of difficultness.

It is also likely that our references for grading the pieces has slightly changed over time so that pieces which were added two years ago when we started building the library might have been considered differently than the latest additions.
This is something we plan to look through and adjust later this year.

Offline soliloquy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 06:52:39 PM

Offline elevateme_returns

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 08:35:23 PM
lol
elevateme's joke of the week:
If John Terry was a Spartan, the movie 300 would have been called "1."

Offline pianisimmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 11:31:55 PM
8)
why ise da funny difficultness? appears 21.000 times in google it does

Offline G.W.K

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 10:11:45 AM
the grading system is odd...

G.W.K
When I'm right, no one remembers. When I'm wrong, no one forgets!

Offline elevateme_returns

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 06:27:12 PM
The level markings are set by me and Henrik.

so are you both pianists? its hard to judge the difficulty of a piece if you havent played it. have you played all the pieces you've graded?
elevateme's joke of the week:
If John Terry was a Spartan, the movie 300 would have been called "1."

Offline pianochick93

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 10:41:49 AM
Even if one hasn't played a piece, it is relatively easy to put on a scale of 1-10, using a comparison technically to other pieces that you have played that are at a certain level, or to place it sometimes, by just looking at it.

I would have put Clair De Lune, by Debussy at about a grade 6 AMEB (Australian Music Examinations Board) level. And apparently it is.

Most of the grades of the pieces I've played on the list seem fairly accurate to me. Though some seem a little more difficult than I would have rated them at. Mayeb I just don't think myself playing at a grade 7 level, which is why I don't believe that some pieces are grade 7 level that I know.
h lp! S m b dy  st l   ll th  v w ls  fr m  my  k y b  rd!

I am an imagine of your figmentation.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert