Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Scales technique ..  (Read 1895 times)

Offline alb-d

• PS Silver Member
Scales technique ..
on: May 08, 2007, 10:25:35 PM
Okay... today this Jazz player showed me away to make my scale runs faster, and have more clarity. But I find it a bit abnormal.

He had me lean to the right  (hands & and body) , then he had me tilt my hands a little. And do the opposite when comign down. Is this common?

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Re: Scales technique ..
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 11:58:40 PM
Yes, assuming you're tilting your hands the proper direction and there is no tension.  When doing several octaves of scales, you must lean your body so that your arms can remain motionless.
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline franzliszt2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 08:17:02 PM
Use the elbows. If you move the elbows outwards (LH going up, RH coming down) look at the difference it makes to the passing of the thumb. Thats the key to fast scales.

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 10:46:29 PM
I'd be careful about moving the elbows too much, and don't continuously move them for each hand shift.   ;)
                 ___/\___
                 ___I___I___/

Offline franzliszt2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 11:35:34 PM
sorry, I didn't mean move them, I just meant the actual position, the hand is slightly displaced throughout the scale, but not enough to effect it at all. It's a hard thng to describe, but it would make so much sense if I showed you. Obviously the worst thing to do is the flick the elbow every thumb pass. But if the elbow is always slightly out and VERY relaxed, the thumb just goes over, and the elbow makes it less distance.

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 12:07:43 AM
Question for you: would your arm be more relaxed if it were not holding your elbow in position?

just a question...  ;D
                 ___/\___
                 ___I___I___/

Offline pianowelsh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 10:10:23 PM
Think typewriter carraige!!

Offline alb-d

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 10:01:00 PM
Could someone post a photo of the proper hand position? plz

Offline counterpoint

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 10:09:24 PM
Use the elbows.

but only for the fff - parts!!!  ;D
If it doesn't work - try something different!

Offline franzliszt2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 11:22:48 PM
but only for the fff - parts!!!  ;D

No you miss my point totally. The position of the elbows should be away from the body. Which free's up shoulders, and makes the passiong of the thumb a lot easier. Playing fro the shoulders gives you a huge dynamic range, including the softest pppp.

Read Cortot, I think  it's called aspects on piano playing. That talks about hand position etc... It's very good. Theres a whole chapter on this matter.

Offline counterpoint

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 11:41:10 PM
No you miss my point totally.

No you miss my point as much  :D
If it doesn't work - try something different!

Offline franzliszt2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 11:42:13 PM
 ;D

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 01:44:44 AM
No you miss my point totally. The position of the elbows should be away from the body. Which free's up shoulders, and makes the passiong of the thumb a lot easier. Playing fro the shoulders gives you a huge dynamic range, including the softest pppp.

Read Cortot, I think  it's called aspects on piano playing. That talks about hand position etc... It's very good. Theres a whole chapter on this matter.

You're right in the sense that some people get stuck pointing their elbows inside, and don't let them "breathe" as a teacher once said to me.  It's helpful for me to think in terms of Alexander technque: elbows don't have a position but an "action," not posture but "acture." 

The elbows can help you manouever the keyboard by their natural action of clockwise or counter-clockwise motion.  The motion can be subtle if needed, or for fast, wide jumps, it can be a rather sharp movement.  I'd say from my own experience as a teacher that one of the most common problems is students trying to do everything from their fingers alone, and not realizing how the elbows can propel them across a keyboard.

Walter Ramsey

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 06:35:45 AM
...elbows, wrists, arms, back... they're all links in the chain of piano technique.  You're right Walter, it's a shame a lot of students try to play everything using only the fingers.  That's not good for your tendons and it will only produce a shallow, unmusical sound. 

One of my teachers once said that you need to get a "notion for the motion".  Everything you do on a piano has a proper motion, and your body should not be static in trying to accomplish what your fingers are playing.

The tricky part is that in order to use your body efficiently it needs to be free of tension, otherwise it doesn't matter what motion you do. 
                 ___/\___
                 ___I___I___/
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert