Piano Forum logo
August 19, 2018, 09:43:29 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

How to Prepare for a Piano Competition – an Interview with Mariam Batsashvili

Soon after the 10th International Franz Liszt Competition Utrecht, Piano Street’s guest writer Alexander Buskermolen spoke to its most recent winner: the Georgian 21 year old pianist Mariam Batsashvili. The main theme for this interview with the first female winner of this particular competition in The Netherlands: how to prepare for a competition and what happens if you win? Mariam Batsashvili should know. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Notation question regarding Rach Op3 no2  (Read 2996 times)
ail
PS Silver Member

« on: May 21, 2007, 10:36:54 AM »

Hi

I'm studying Rachmaninoff's prelude Op 3 no 2, but I have a problem in the broken chords section. In some bars, my sheet has a C1 and a B2 in the left hand, while having to play E4 on the right. The two notes on the left hand are connected by what looks like a huge square bracket. Now, I think no one with normal hands can play those three notes at the same time, so I guess that bracket means something on how to play this. What does it mean? How do I play this?

Thanks

Alex
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

piano sheet music of Prelude
invictious
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 11:49:24 AM »

Break it up like it's two notes, and use pedal.

Bach - Partita No.2
Scriabin - Etude 8/12
Debussy - L'isle Joyeuse
Liszt - Un Sospiro

Goal:
Prokofiev - Toccata

>LISTEN<
ail
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 10:30:38 AM »

Break it up like it's two notes, and use pedal.

Ok, I can do that, but how fast should I jump from C to B? Like an arpeggio with 2 notes? like an appogiatura?

Thanks

Alex
pianowolfi
PS Gold Member

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 12:49:51 PM »

That's how it goes Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifKKlhYF53w&mode=related&search=
pianowolfi
PS Gold Member

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 12:52:37 PM »

Ok, I can do that, but how fast should I jump from C to B? Like an arpeggio with 2 notes? like an appogiatura?

Thanks

Alex

Like a fast arpeggio and the b should come together with the right hand melody note.
ail
PS Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 04:31:52 PM »

I so much love that sketch :-D But I really couldn't understand how he played it, he does it too fast for my ear. Also I think he skips some parts. Thanks for having explained below :-)

Actually, it was this video that made me want to study this piece. I had listened to it so many years ago, and in orchestral version if I'm not mistaken, that I didn't even remember it existed.

Alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: