Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: What is fulfilling about teaching ?  (Read 4758 times)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
What is fulfilling about teaching ?
on: May 22, 2007, 04:46:03 PM
For you, individually, of course. 

I am just curious ... what is it, at the end of the day, that makes the day worth it for you as a (piano/music) teacher ?  Perhaps over years and years, even.
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
Re: What is fulfilling about teaching ?
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 05:30:59 PM
haha I don't have any experience but I must say I don't like the idea of one-sidedness, dictating information and telling someone what to do.

I do like the idea of shaing information and ideas, and more excitingly sharing the passion for pianism and music that few people seem to have.

Nothing makes me smile more than enthusiasm  ;D

It's supposed to be common and 'cool' to be apathetic and disaffected, the 'whatever' culture.
I was always the opposite of that, and I might have been embarrased by my enthusiastic nature in the past, but not now, and people with enthusiasm and passion have to be a joy to work with.

I understand in reality not all 'students' are like that, so I don't know how I'd be as a teacher  :P I'll admit I'm certainly not as humble as you appear to be.
Da SDC Piano Forum :
https://www.dasdc.net/

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 05:32:41 PM
this may seem strange - but i don't have much fear of the unknown anymores.  everyone has different goals of what they want to get out of piano lessons.  some people aren't coming to learn to be concert pianists.  others want to be as good as they possibly can in a short amount of time. 

perhaps the fulfilling part is letting them fulfill whatever it is that they want to get out of piano lessons.  attempting to fulfill whatever it is they want to be taught about.  and, if i cannot do i t- referring them to someone who can.  for instance, i'm not a jazz or improviser extrodinaire. so if someone wanted that - they'd have to go elsewhere.  and, after three or four years - some students are ready for another teacher.  i try not to limit them.  and, i try to expand my learning so that i am not stagnant.

preparing for the lessons excites me.  i like to share what i discover or know and so i consider teaching a sort of mutual exploration.  sometimes the student helps you see something you hadn't considered.  but, most of the time the other way around.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 07:00:06 PM
Giving someone, guiding them, toward the aesthetic experience where they connect with the music.  That's between them and the music, but helping them along seems very noble.

Getting paid to that is also nice.

But then again, there is so much extra BS baggage that goes along with it all too.  Kind of balances it out.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline stevehopwood

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 10:18:20 PM
For me, the interaction with (mostly) young young people. Eventually, experiencing them starting to grow up. I love watching their personalities emerge.

:D
Piano teacher, accompanist and soloist for over 30 years - all of them fantastic.
www.hopwood3.freeserve.co.uk

Offline cora

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 11:04:39 PM
Waking up late in the morning is the best part of my job.

Sharing a laugh with a child.

Offline keyofc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 10:51:49 PM
For me, teaching is fulfilling because I am sharing something that can't be taken away from them.  Little else is more fulfilling to me than hearing a student get beyond the basics and connect with the music as they play.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 06:52:38 AM
Waking up late in the morning is the best part of my job.

Sharing a laugh with a child.

Seconded, both :) I mention just one particular point for now: To me it is fulfilling when I find a way to keep their fingers "hungry" for playing. I once had a dialogue with a little student where we used this word. I had watched how she used her fingers on the keys and said that I had this impression and she smiled and said "yes, they are hungry for playing!" Since then it's a goal for me to keep that up.

Offline a-sharp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 05:39:32 AM
I have waited to answer this...

But after a very nice day of teaching my very small [but growing] studio, I have to say, I just love the moments when I see the light bulb go on - the 'ah-haaaa' moments.

Those are so cool.

Of course, that is just aside from the fact that I get to focus on a subject that I absolutely love and am most passionate about - it wouldn't mean anything if I wasn't able to see people just 'get it....'

so I guess for me - it's really about connecting with people [of any age], using the medium I love...

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 06:20:43 PM
I had a little student who was a good little student, who moved away at the same time I was leaving for a month to study in Europe.  I wrote to her Mom about a month ago, just wanting to touch base and see how everything was going for them and how my little former student was.  I just received this message a little bit ago, and I can't help but share it here, it completely made my day and was truly touching for me:

"Hi m1469,
"little student" wanted to send you a message herself, so here's "little student":
I miss you so much that I can't stop thinking about you. Did you have fun in Italy? What city did you go to in Italy? What was it like in Italy? In (name of state) it is hot but sometimes rainy. My school is a very good school. It is called (name of school). I hope you have fun in (name of my town) teaching piano!
From,
Little student"

So, so good.
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 06:58:44 PM
I don't always teach, but when I do, I feel a sense of control.

And that's not strictly with piano either.
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline meli

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 04:38:10 AM
I teach only children, and I enjoy watching kids enthusiasm and guiding them to be good pianists. I enjoy sharing the laughter, their curiosity (sometimes hiding my laughter at their funny questions!) and the little things they do to show their appreciation. In the end, I think its worth it. Of course,  it sucks sometimes (pushy parents, rude children, weeks of no practice,  etc.) but I think it evens out in the end. I also feel we are a bit more than just teachers, we also have to be a 'listening ear' - kids have so much emotional baggage nowadays! and a disciplinarian in a 'nice way' - phew! Its hard work, but I think it pays off when you see them play well.

Offline danhuyle

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 09:22:11 AM
To see a student be able to learn any piece of music and thanking you for it.
Perfection itself is imperfection.

Currently practicing
Albeniz Triana
Scriabin Fantaisie Op28
Scriabin All Etudes Op8

Offline asuhayda

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 06:49:56 PM
By teaching someone piano (or anything for that matter) you have the ability to leave an imprint on someone.  If you teach them well, it is possible that they will remember you for their whole lives.  That is more significant to me than any desk job.  Performing a corporate job well may help a company's bottom line, but it doesn't matter who performs the tasks. Money is made and contributors are forgotten.    It's contributing to someone else's vision which is not very fulfilling to me. But teaching gives me the opportunity to connect with another human being, and hopefully make a positive difference in their lives.
~ if you want to know what I'm working on.. just ask me!

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 12:01:17 AM
But teaching gives me the opportunity to connect with another human being, and hopefully make a positive difference in their lives.

Yeah, I agree.  I believe that one of the most powerful musical impressions a teacher can make upon a student is simply by being a positive role model as a person.  There's this funny fight in the US about why music should stay in the schools, based on "how helpful it is for people to have music in their lives" ... I say, oh, really?  Just who would you like the children and society looking up to as examples for how great music makes people, hmm?  ;D

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 12:47:27 AM
To not only teach how to play music and the piano but teaching life skills to young minds and the young at heart. I also learn a great deal about people through my work, I am a people person and love to understand how other people work, they teach me a huge amount of which I am very grateful and this reveals to me a better understanding of myself.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline asuhayda

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 02:25:02 PM
There's this funny fight in the US about why music should stay in the schools, based on "how helpful it is for people to have music in their lives"

Ya, it's pretty ignorant of people to try and suggest that music is not beneficial to children.  Especially with all the research coming out about how music is helping kids concentrate and develop their minds faster. 

Most importantly though, it reinforces to kids that patience and hard work will yield big rewards.  We are in a society right now that conditions kids to believe that everything is instantly accessible and achievable.  Example, drop an IPad on a kid's lap and he will instantly be good at playing Angry Birds.  It's over-stimulation and non-reality. (And GOD I sound OLD right now!!)
~ if you want to know what I'm working on.. just ask me!

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 03:09:45 PM
Ya, it's pretty ignorant of people to try and suggest that music is not beneficial to children.  Especially with all the research coming out about how music is helping kids concentrate and develop their minds faster.

Most importantly though, it reinforces to kids that patience and hard work will yield big rewards.  We are in a society right now that conditions kids to believe that everything is instantly accessible and achievable.  

Yeah, better concentration, better minds, better people and members of society, ultimately ... right?  Maybe the latter part is ultimately of no concern, or the least concern, or they are simply not connected.  In my humble opinion, my own time and intelligence and artistry are definitely of more value for the world while I am focusing, concentrating, and studying away in my own little house by myself, over some non-musical character who is planting crops and helping to build a community in a third world Country somewhere else (haha ... that idiot).

It's funny, research shows that math is good for the same things - what is everybody ending up using that concentration for anyway?  hmph.  Research shows that ultimately money is good for people, too.  And politics.  I wonder how those researchers narrow down which subjects affect people in which ways, and in such a way that is somehow untouched by all the other things happening inside and outside those minds?  It's a little mysterious seeming.

I guess in the end, the people we have right before us, the ones we look up to in person, the ones we seek for guidance, end up being more important than research and statistics.  At least, the last time I've looked, I haven't gone and checked statistics to learn how to sing or develop a  functioning and efficient practice routine.  I've not looked to statistics for any sort of advices, either, when it comes to important decisions in my life.  They've never shown me any sort of real care and consideration for that matter, either.  Go figure  :-.  

Who me?  I'm not an ***h*** who couldn't care less about anybody besides myself!  I'm awesome, statistics prove it!  Booyah.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 08:31:41 PM
Booyah.
Maybe I should suggest that the organist-par-excellence Kevin Bowyer should re-spell his surname...

Seriously, though, I wouldn't know what to say in this thread, because I simply cannot teach - maybe in part for not dissimilar reasons to those put forward by the late and deeply lamented Shura Cherkassky towards the end of his life when, in response to a question about why he'd never taught, innocently replied that he was still trying learn how to do it himself...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline schubertiad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 01:04:54 AM
In the past few years I have put a lot of work into my teaching, and I have to say that one aspect that I have started to appreciate is the craft of teaching itself. I now not only get a buzz from the tangible improvements made by my students, but also from refining the teaching process. Looking back on the rather clueless and ineffective lessons I used to give when I started, it is nice to see how far I have come.
“To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time.” Leonard Bernstein

Offline clavile

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 04:57:27 AM
The joy you experience when they do something well. :)
Joy,
Student/Teacher

Student of 4 years

Currently Practicing:
Pirates Of the Carribean- Jarrod Radnich
Mozart Concerto, 2 Piano
Bach Invention
Mozart Rondo
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert