Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: How do you plan your practice time/day? [Bob project]  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Where's does practicing fit into your daily schedule?
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Re: How do you plan your practice time/day?
Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 06:52:20 AM
UNFORTUNATELY AFTER the day job  :P

AFTER (this time of year at least) YARD WORK   :-/

AFTER chit-chat with the husband   ;)

AFTER dinner.    :D

Then I can squeeze an hour or so in.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

on weekends I can do more if I have time to myself!
So much music, so little time........

Shagdac

Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 12:19:01 PM
I try to plan other activities around my practice time, instead of practice time around other things. I'm fortunate that although I have a full time job, I only work 13 hour days, Sat, Sun and Monday 7pm till 7am.

When I get home or shortly after huby leaves for work and my son leaves for school  or work (he's 17), so it's not like I have a little one. I practice for 2-4 hours before I go to bed. Sometimes I lose track of the time and have played much longer. On Tuesday I get ALL my chores done for the week, grocery shopping, etc...and then practice. Wednesday I go to my piano coach from 10am - 2:30 or 3:pm...and then practice as much as I can when I get home. Thursday I play on and off all day as much as possible. Friday I go to my coach again 10am-2pm and play more later after I get home. Saturday I put in 3-4 hours before going to work. My problem is that when my hubby and son are home I can't play that much, not because they demand my attention but because they are so utterly sick of hearing the piano. My son has heard it all his life and can't stand it....(he's at that age) not much into classical! haha. It has created such a problem I finally broke down and last purchased a  Yamaha Clavinova CLP-120. It is being delivered today at noon ;D   This will allow me to practice in the evenings as late and as long as I want without disturbing anyone, and I can still play on my regular piano when it's just me and Cujo (my Chihuahua) ;D He seems to be the only one who wants to hear the piano as much as I want to practice!

At any rate, I fit practice in whenever I can...it may not always be the same time everyday, but it is almost everyday, and though the hours may vary it's usually not less than 2 or 3. I guess it's all a matter of priorities and what you value most. Where there's a will, there's a way. Other than if my husband or son needs something, piano is the at the top of my list.  :)

Shag

Xelles

Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 05:31:13 AM
I have a very different practice "routine". 20 minutes maximum, for a minimum of 3 times a day (1 hour each day, maybe longer ). I just find it easier to concentrate in small sessions. That and you retain what you've done faster then if you were to try and absorb all of it in one large session.

Offline anda

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 03:43:11 PM
i don't! i practice whenever i can and feel like it :) (and then i realize there are x days to the recital/concert/whatever and i still haven't learned this and that, and then i practice wheter i fell like it or not :)

also, i would never allow my students such lack of discipline :))

Offline Clare

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 01:45:20 AM
I always practice two hours in the morning before I wake up properly, which is naughty (scales and study for my end-of-semester exam). But that way I get all the annoying stuff out of the way. Then, I practice in four half-hour lots for the rest of the day.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert