Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: Ginastera - Sonata  (Read 2392 times)

Offline mad_max2024

• PS Silver Member
Ginastera - Sonata
on: June 29, 2007, 11:38:52 PM
I dont know if it's copyrighted, but if it isn't does someone have the sheet for Ginastera Piano Sonata?
I am perfectly normal, it is everyone else who is strange.

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Re: Ginastera - Sonata
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 11:54:02 PM
hey mad max its nice to see you again! you joined around the same time i did.

id post it but unfortunatly its copyrighted...give me your email adress and maybe a little birdie will crash through your window with a particular ginstera score tied to it.
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 01:37:52 AM
By the way, Ginastera wrote three sonatas.  You probably want Op. 22, the first one.  It has a funky last movement that caught the attention of Emerson Lake and Palmer, I think.

You can buy it for about $18.  is that really worth you breaking the law and depriving the heirs of Ginastera of what is rightfully theirs?

Naturally, if you want it for fair use, you can go to your local library and check it out for free.  If they don't have it, you can enter the wonderful world of inter-library loans.
Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  :)

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 03:30:37 AM
It has a funky last movement that caught the attention of Emerson Lake and Palmer, I think.

You're thinking of the last movement of Ginastera's 1st Piano Concerto, which Emerson, Lake, and Palmer adapted to their own version. Of course, Ginastera's is better.

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 09:57:49 AM
Really?  It must be some other jazz or fusion ensemble.  I have heard this fourth mov of the first sonata with a funky bass and lots of flute.

Offline mad_max2024

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 02:22:34 PM
By the way, Ginastera wrote three sonatas.  You probably want Op. 22, the first one.  It has a funky last movement that caught the attention of Emerson Lake and Palmer, I think.

You can buy it for about $18.  is that really worth you breaking the law and depriving the heirs of Ginastera of what is rightfully theirs?

Naturally, if you want it for fair use, you can go to your local library and check it out for free.  If they don't have it, you can enter the wonderful world of inter-library loans.

I live in portugal
I never seen music sheets in libraries other than folk songs and popular mainstream works
I will look it up in the web and see if it's worth buying
If not I'll just ask my teacher to work on something else
Thanks anyway
 ;D

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 07:10:24 PM
Hi Mad,

Portugal, eh?  The land of Artur Pizarro, Sequeira Costa and Maria-Joao Pires.

I would be very surprised if your libraries don't have the capability of borrowing this material for you.

Libraries are a powerful ally in your learning journey, you should visit them often and befriend your librarians.

Offline rachmaninova

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 12:43:42 AM
Hi Mad,

Portugal, eh?  The land of Artur Pizarro, Sequeira Costa and Maria-Joao Pires.

I would be very surprised if your libraries don't have the capability of borrowing this material for you.

Libraries are a powerful ally in your learning journey, you should visit them often and befriend your librarians.

Forget it, in Portugal our music libraries are very incomplete (my faculty's library doesn't even have Rachmaninov's Etudes-Tableaux, despite almost every piano student plays at least one of them...). Oh, and the libraries don't communicate to each other (in theory, they were supposed to).

The only way is to go to a book store, like Casa dos Musicos ou Paleta dos Sons and they will order it from outside Portugal, or to buy from an online store.

There's an edition from Boosey & Hawkes: https://www.musicroom.com/es-ES/se/ID_No/075885/details.html

BTW, a friend of mine played this sonata in her final recital. It's a superb work, I want to play it too!

Best regards,
Carla

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 12:45:42 AM
Just get it off Gamingforce if you;re desperate.

Offline mad_max2024

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 01:57:32 PM
I'm not desperate
My teacher suggested it to me as a diversion from rach and liszt which I'm finishing
I gave up on it and picked up Haydn's first sonata instead
At least I think it's the first... lol
Since I have difficulties in classical playing, it should help clear up a few things

Thank you all for your help and hello to Rachmaninova, nice to see another portuguese user in these forums :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert