4 (26.7%)
DA ROBBAH
4 (26.7%)
both
5 (33.3%)
NONE! I PLAY BETTER THAN THEM!
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: DUEL: prongated vs rob47: J.S. Bach, WTK bk II no 18 in G# minor  (Read 8388 times)

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member
...as said, I'm not very pleased with the prelude - it's too fast, the mordents/turns are crap, and dynamics are pretty much non-existent...

...but here is. Step in, rob47 ^^

ps. while at it, may I point you to: https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,24050.0.html? I'd muchly appreciate comments and criticisms for the "re-recorded" attempt. Thanks!

Offline rob47

• PS Silver Member
i just woke up/one take/very rusty/my folks walked in the door near the end 8)

but as is the famous wolfi quote "duel is duel, deadline is deadline" or somthing

respect 8)
"Phenomenon 1 is me"
-Alexis Weissenberg

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
My vote goes to da RRRRRRROOOOOOOBAH, which is actually a surprise to me as I didn't know he could actually play. :P 8) Nice work guys!
[lau] 10:01 pm: like in 10/4 i think those little slurs everywhere are pointless for the music, but I understand if it was for improving technique

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
My vote goes to da RRRRRRROOOOOOOBAH, which is actually a surprise to me as I didn't know he could actually play. :P 8) Nice work guys!

How blind you are.
Da SDC Piano Forum :
https://www.dasdc.net/

Offline counterpoint

• PS Silver Member
How blind you are.

???

two very nice recordings, indeed!

I don't understand, what you mean with "how blind you are"?
If it doesn't work - try something different!

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Nicely done, guys! This is what the audition room is about!

Both excellent interpretations of one of the coolest P&Fs, but I preferred prongated's more exciting (yet still well controlled) tempo in the prelude.

Cheers.  :)

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
How blind you are.

Haahaha true, da ROBBAH is now a legend.  8)

Offline etudes

• PS Silver Member
???

two very nice recordings, indeed!

I don't understand, what you mean with "how blind you are"?
ahaha anyone who knows da ROB or witnezzed hiz genius (rocky1zon or TE10) will never zay anything lyk this
Piano = my life
My life = piano

Offline counterpoint

• PS Silver Member
ahaha anyone who knows da ROB or witnezzed hiz genius (rocky1zon or TE10) will never zay anything lyk this

a-ha insider joke  - not funny for outsiders  8)

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member

...ooooh shall we continue with a TE10 duel then? ;D

Poll added...cast your preferences ^^

...hmmm quite a different way of playing, rob...when I saw it's 9 minutes something, I thought you did the repeats...then there's dynamics...so, much thanks for showing me this in a different light!

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Just short for now: actually I ike both approaches, though I actually also think, that prongated might do a bit more dynamics, especially in the sigh-motifs of the prelude. Rob's very passionate and tragical style is something that speaks directly to me, but sometimes it tends to be a bit heavy whereas prongate's interpretation has the non-legato- leggiero- lightness. Respect to both! 8) Very interesting to listen to such different interpretations. Actually a sort of draw to me.

Offline rob47

• PS Silver Member
i just listened to mine and for sure the prelude didnt turn out how i wanted (hangover?) i hadnt played it for 2 weeks and all the other previous excuses i have made..... 8)

ne way prongated yours is great! very lyrical
Quote from: prongated
...ooooh shall we continue with a TE10 duel then? ;D

as for a TE10 battle i am not big on it these days but heres a famous clip from the SDC of what my interp 2 years ago sounded something like: 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV59WsbXV0E

edit: good call on adding a poll
"Phenomenon 1 is me"
-Alexis Weissenberg

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
How blind you are.

I may be blind, but at least I ain't dumb.   8)
[lau] 10:01 pm: like in 10/4 i think those little slurs everywhere are pointless for the music, but I understand if it was for improving technique

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
I may be blind, but at least I ain't dumb.   8)

Really? :)
Da SDC Piano Forum :

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
 :) Cute.
Da SDC Piano Forum :

Offline counterpoint

• PS Silver Member
So rob47 is one of these speed freaks? 

Then his Bach is really surprising  :)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
They are both great recordings
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member
as for a TE10 battle i am not big on it these days but heres a famous clip from the SDC of what my interp 2 years ago sounded something like: 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV59WsbXV0E

Ahahahaha niiiiiiice! I'd expect only the likes of Cziffra to do something like that in that mini-cadenza hahaha!

hmmm I realised I should've added that 4th choice for the poll...if anyone chooses that option, you should:

a) identify yourself, then
b) submit your own rec of this piece...or set another duel :D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert