Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Schumann: Album for the Young Soldatenmarsch Op. 68 No. 2  (Read 14287 times)

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Comments welcome.
Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  :)

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schumann: Album for the Young Soldatenmarsch Op. 68 No. 2
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 08:58:15 AM
this is my favorite of all schumann's 'album for the young.'  i still like to hear pairing of notes.  i don't know why - but in a lot of schumann's music there seems to be this pairing of notes and ideas.  when EVERY note is staccato - it does sound soldierish -but i'd like to hear one foot and then the other - as one.  you do this slightly at the very beginning - but single notes ever after.  even staccatos can be slightly paired or slurred  with the longer being first.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schumann: Album for the Young Soldatenmarsch Op. 68 No. 2
Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 08:48:56 AM
I think you can give it more flavor by outlining the phrase structure a bit more.  Let the lister know when a phrase begins, ends, and what direction it takes.  You may accomplish this with a little more dynamic inflections.  Pianisitimo's suggestions also would support giving more interest in the phrase structure. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert