Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven piano concerto 3  (Read 3367 times)

Offline mmro

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven piano concerto 3
on: July 09, 2007, 08:16:26 PM
I'm having trouble playing the scales in the first movement, I'm not fast enough. Any advice on how to improve speed? :(

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven piano concerto 3
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 08:36:36 PM
If you are not fast enough, you are not comfortable enough, either mentally or physically, or both.

Do you have any thoughts on what you could do to improve either one of those things (mental and/or physical comfort) for yourself ?  Breaking it apart, watching for the exact spot that is the problem (for example, a place where your hand my have to rotate/shift to grab the rest of the scale), etc.

Anything we want to do at the piano, whether it be fast or slow, is a matter of finding comfort and ease in doing it.
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline mmro

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 08:43:50 PM
As a matter of fact I'm  incredibly  discouraged at the moment. How can I explain that? I simply don't feel like playing the piano, I've been tired all these days. When I seat and start playing I get bored immediately and leave it. I don't last more than one minute.
Maybe I should just leave it for a few days... What do you think? :(

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 08:46:10 PM
I think you should break your practicing down into 1 minute sessions  :D.

Okay, but more seriously (though that was actually slightly serious), I wouldn't want to judge it since I don't really know your situation, except for if you have not taken a day off in a while, then maybe it's a good idea.
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline ryanyee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 05:47:33 AM
try playing them slowly or revise your fingerings. i've also got the same problem but eventually got it. i think the fingerings for the left hand is: 54321321. that's only my fingering, not an optimal fingering. for right hand:12312345.

Offline mmro

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 04:04:53 PM
I don't mean the scales at the beginning, but thwe descending ones

Offline ryanyee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 04:45:30 AM
descending!? is it around the beginning of the piano portion or somewhere else?

Offline mmro

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 02:00:47 PM
Somewhere else  ???

Offline ryanyee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 11:12:58 AM
Somewhere else  ???
the two finger part perhaps?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert