Piano Forum

Topic: Extroverted Haydn Sonata?  (Read 4183 times)

Offline dnephi

Extroverted Haydn Sonata?
on: July 23, 2007, 01:39:09 AM
I was thinking the c# minor sonata, but do you have recommendations?  I'd like to do one which is demonstrative of classical control of form at its best but also some daring harmonic innovations and some sturm und drang.

Any Ideas?  (Please provide HBK #s)
For us musicians, the music of Beethoven is the pillar of fire and cloud of mist which guided the Israelites through the desert.  (Roughly quoted, Franz Liszt.)

Offline amelialw

• PS Silver Member
Re: Extroverted Haydn Sonata?
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 03:24:43 AM
Haydn sonata No.52 in E flat major maybe
J.S Bach Italian Concerto,Beethoven Sonata op.2 no.2,Mozart Sonatas K.330&333,Chopin Scherzo no.2,Etude op.10 no.12&Fantasie Impromptu

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 05:07:18 PM
or haydn's sonata in b minor - hoboken XVI:32 - one a collection of six that were written (or published) around 1776.  probably written at different times and published then.  in any case - th 1776 stands out.  'sonatas anno 1776.' 

Offline dnephi

Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 01:53:39 AM
I've looked through and I'm thinking either the HBK Sonata #36 (c#) or the HBK Sonata #20 (c).
The latter is more profound and the former more virtuosic.
For us musicians, the music of Beethoven is the pillar of fire and cloud of mist which guided the Israelites through the desert.  (Roughly quoted, Franz Liszt.)

Offline mikey6

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 03:26:14 AM
the bmin is from the sturm and drang period, hard to pull off.
Never look at the trombones. You'll only encourage them.
Richard Strauss

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 12:24:27 PM
i guess he published them in 1776  (i mean the six sonatas i was referring to) - but probably composed more that we don't typically think of as from that time period.  perhaps publishing them later.  i mean - if he wrote one in c# minor as well - that sounds like a good choice - as you say - of classical 'control' of form and still having a sturm und drang feel.  i'm not familiar with all of the haydn sonatas.  will go look and compare.  thanks for helping us think about them in that context.  #36 might well have been written during the same time period and published a bit later.  (unless it was part of the six mentioned.  and i can't remember).

pf says 1780 - so it might have been written earlier and published later in another group.  dnephi - you probably know more about this than you let on.  being that you had already spied the c# minor sonata in your opening thread.  perhaps you can now help us - and explain more about this in regards specifically to the c# minor sonata.  the parts of form that are apparently there - and the parts that one wonders 'what happened?'  haydn was so good at this bizzare form of writing.  to 'meander.'

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 12:54:32 PM
Id strongly recommend either HOB.44 in G minor or no.50 (i forget the HOB number) in C major.
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 02:31:00 PM
so you think haydn just kept running with the sturm und drang idea?  but, C major doesn't fit the 'minor' ideas with sturm und drang unless it suddenly changes key and goes into some minor conniptions.   'storm and stress.'

Offline hodi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 03:43:33 PM
I like no.32 in C Minor Hob. XVI20
recommended.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 04:02:25 PM
wait - you have 32 and then 20.  which is it?  according to pianoforum sheet music list - 32 is in b minor and 20 is in c minor.  in any case, you like the c minor sonata?!  ok.

Offline amelialw

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 12:33:35 AM
what about Hob 16 no 33 Sonatas in D major? I played this for my RCM Grade 10 exam. My teacher said hardly anyone learns it. I was the 1st student of hers who learnt it although she has taught for years.
J.S Bach Italian Concerto,Beethoven Sonata op.2 no.2,Mozart Sonatas K.330&333,Chopin Scherzo no.2,Etude op.10 no.12&Fantasie Impromptu

Offline cmg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 12:42:14 AM
Haydn sonata No.52 in E flat major maybe

this would be my choice.  played it years ago and it was a wonderful experience.  big and flashy.  lots of fun to play, too.  takes some work, though.

Viva Papa Haydn!!
Current repertoire:  "Come to Jesus" (in whole-notes)

Offline amelialw

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 12:52:03 AM
Haydn sonata No.52 in E flat major

I love this one but I ended up learning his sonata no 49 in E flat major because I still needed to build up on my skills, technique etc. I'm gonna learn it though after i'm done with the present one in nov because I'm playing it for a competition.

One thing though is that it might not be suitable for you as it's one of Haydn's more advanced sonatas.

Offline sjskb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 02:49:26 AM
My choice is no.52 in E flat as well... Polishing it up at the moment.

Lots of flashy bits as well as fast strong fingers!! The slow movement is one of the very few slow movements that i enjoy as well! highly recommended!

In my opinion, no.49 in E flat, as well as the overplayed C# minor sonata, definitely loses out to this one in terms of brilliance, technique as well as interesting developmental devices. I find both sonatas overly repetitive, but they are popular choice for the DipABRSM.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert