Piano Forum

A Free Grand Piano? – Scammers Target Piano Enthusiasts
If you’re in the market for a piano, be cautious of a new scam that’s targeting music lovers, businesses, schools, and churches. Scammers are offering “free” pianos but with hidden fees that can add up to hundreds of dollars and, as you may have guessed, the piano will never be delivered. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Etude  (Read 3217 times)

Offline mozartjuveniles

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Etude
on: July 24, 2007, 01:30:18 PM
I want to ask ... as a pianist did i must finished all chopin etude op 10 and 25?
in this forum who did finish all chopin etude?
after finished all chopin etude what did you do?
thanks

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Etude
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 02:49:22 PM
english isn't your first language, is it?  no matter.

some people here might have gone thru all the chopin etudes - but you can always rework them.  i'd say they are a lifetime job.  i've only played 2 now - but enjoy playing less 'flashy' stuff that doesn't kill you with one wrong note.  although, being able to play the chopin etudes certainly does show some skill.

if you can play the etudes - why not try the ballades, scherzos, mazurkas, preludes, and whatever else there is of chopin.  jean-yves thibaudet decided in school that he would simply play chopin and whenever his teachers queried him about a rounded program - he said that he preferred to specialize.

Offline rimv2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 03:45:55 PM
english isn't your first language, is it?  no matter.

some people here might have gone thru all the chopin etudes - but you can always rework them.  i'd say they are a lifetime job.  i've only played 2 now - but enjoy playing less 'flashy' stuff that doesn't kill you with one wrong note.  although, being able to play the chopin etudes certainly does show some skill.

if you can play the etudes - why not try the ballades, scherzos, mazurkas, preludes, and whatever else there is of chopin. jean-yves thibaudet decided in school that he would simply play chopin and whenever his teachers queried him about a rounded program - he said that he preferred to specialize.

Classic 8)
(\_/)                     (\_/)      | |
(O.o)                   (o.O)   <(@)     
(>   )> Ironically[/url] <(   <)

Offline etudes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 03:54:36 PM
there are so many people here who indeed finished Chopin etudes..for example .Meiting Sun,Koji Attwood,Marik,Franzliszt2,Robert Henry,and possibly Jonathan Powell.
Piano = my life
My life = piano

Offline amelialw

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 04:18:05 PM
I haven't... but my teacher has performed all of them. She performed Op.10 at the concerto hall i think, I wish she recorded them because I would have loved to have one of her cd's
J.S Bach Italian Concerto,Beethoven Sonata op.2 no.2,Mozart Sonatas K.330&333,Chopin Scherzo no.2,Etude op.10 no.12&Fantasie Impromptu

Offline pagesong

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 01:52:45 AM
i dont think you need to finish all of them.
i think you should just learn the more unique ones and the ones you like.
although it would be good to learn all of them if you have the time.
but i think if you have that time, try different things like works from different eras. :D

Offline nicco

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 02:15:43 PM
I wish she recorded them because I would'nt have loved to have one of her cd's

nice typo ;D
"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline fnork

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 05:10:14 PM
I've learned about half of the etudes so far - not all of them are finished though--working on the thirds etude and op 10 no 2 right now, but when I've learned those, I've done quite a few of the hardest etudes... then I'll learn the easier ones :)

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 12:06:57 AM
You won't believe this, but I went through a bachelors, masters, and doctorate without playing a single Chopin Etude.  What were my teachers thinking.  I mean, I've played a few, but it was in highschool. 

*prepares for rotten tomatoes to be thrown*

Offline gerry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 05:26:23 AM
That is truly amazing - I thought everyone at one time or another at least attempted Op10 #3 even if they did come to a screeching halt at measures 38 and 46. I remember being at a "talent show" at a retreat where one fellow played this piece and rather inartfully skipped from meas 37 to 54 and sort of got away with it. I think I was possibly the only one who knew what he'd done. What's more he played rather well and I later privately encouraged him to tackle that center section but he just said it was too hard didn't feel he wanted to spend the time. ::)
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den, der heimlich lauschet.

Offline leuthold

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 01:27:28 PM
i ve been playing for 9 years  and i tried to play op.10 no.12 so i couldnt :-[ ...  which etude should i play first?? :-\

Offline invictious

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 02:00:07 PM
Personally I feel that a pianist must learn the whole set of Chopin Etudes if he decides to take it on seriously
Not to forget all of Beethoven/Mozart sonatas
Liszt Hungarian Rhapsodies/Transcendental Etudes

whatever
Bach - Partita No.2
Scriabin - Etude 8/12
Debussy - L'isle Joyeuse
Liszt - Un Sospiro

Goal:
Prokofiev - Toccata

>LISTEN<

Offline amelialw

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 06:38:04 PM
you should learn Op.25 No.2 first
J.S Bach Italian Concerto,Beethoven Sonata op.2 no.2,Mozart Sonatas K.330&333,Chopin Scherzo no.2,Etude op.10 no.12&Fantasie Impromptu

Offline franzliszt2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 06:49:38 PM
I don't think they are essential. You can get away without playing a lot of them. I consider op10no1 2 4 5 7 and 10 essential. op25no6 8 and 11. The rest are not in my opinion. Op10no1 and 2 give you a lot of strength that is required for the others. Look at op10no4 and think how much easier it would be with strong 345? 4 is just a general etude, and covers a lot of ground if played properly. However it is so easy to skim through this etude with pedal. 5 is essential for black note study, and  "jeu perle" (is that correct my french is bad lol). But the movements in that etude are essential. 7 is amazing for the thumbs and the genarl relaxation of the hand, and strength in 345 (again easier if you've played op10no2) 10 is just the most amaizng etude EVER!! It's soooo cool and should be played by everyone!! And it's very hard! The voicing and rhytmic difficulty's are mazzive!!

op25no6 for thirds is essential, no 8 for 6ths and 11 to teach students the true meaning of BOREDOM!! Learning the notes to that is the most boring thing I have ever done in my entire life. It's all the same pattern with slight changes that creat havoc with the brain and make you get very annoyed because you confuse them (well at least my brain refused/refuses to remember it..I need the score)

Offline mozartjuveniles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 03:03:22 AM
Most of them for right hand etude.... how about left hand? op 10 no 12 is essential for left hand? or must i practice another etude? what etude? anybody help me?
Now I can play Op 10 no 1,2,4,5,10, OP 25 no 12 but i feel op 25 no 3 and 4 is difficult enough? is it right?

thanks.......

Offline dnephi

Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 06:24:45 PM
I recommend Czerny etudes.  One should be fluent with a full book of Czerny before even cracking a Chopin Etude.

And no, I have never tried Chopin 10-3.  I am not very much pleased by it.
For us musicians, the music of Beethoven is the pillar of fire and cloud of mist which guided the Israelites through the desert.  (Roughly quoted, Franz Liszt.)

Offline mako60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 11:06:55 PM
I just thought I'd like to say it would be a great accomplishment to be able to play all the Chopin Etudes.  Right now I am just memorizing some of my favorite Chopin works.  I am just a student but I can play Chopin's Nocturne in F minor, Nocturne in E minor, and Waltz in C#minor.  My goal is to play Chopin's Ballade in G minor, Op.23.  Now I'm just building my chops to get there.

Offline invictious

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: July 28, 2007, 02:31:46 AM
I just thought I'd like to say it would be a great accomplishment to be able to play all the Chopin Etudes.  Right now I am just memorizing some of my favorite Chopin works.  I am just a student but I can play Chopin's Nocturne in F minor, Nocturne in E minor, and Waltz in C#minor.  My goal is to play Chopin's Ballade in G minor, Op.23.  Now I'm just building my chops to get there.

Good luck, it's another badge of achievement. I am going to learn that piece after I finish my DipABRSM, along with Scriabin Sonata No. 5. (YES!!1!!one!1)

Personally, I find Chopin's Etudes not only etudes on technique, but on musicality. I still think it's essential for a pianist's arsenal. Without it is like going to war with only 2 weeks of training.
Bach - Partita No.2
Scriabin - Etude 8/12
Debussy - L'isle Joyeuse
Liszt - Un Sospiro

Goal:
Prokofiev - Toccata

>LISTEN<

Offline gerry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: July 28, 2007, 04:51:32 AM
You echoed my feelings exactly. I posted a reply to this effect last evening but it didn't make onto the board for some reason. The Chopin Etudes are valuable because they not only serve to build technique but also demand a degree of artistic interpretation and, as such, are great concert pieces. How many Czerny or Hanon exercises can you play for company or include on a recital? ???
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den, der heimlich lauschet.

Offline invictious

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: July 28, 2007, 06:40:55 AM
You echoed my feelings exactly. I posted a reply to this effect last evening but it didn't make onto the board for some reason. The Chopin Etudes are valuable because they not only serve to build technique but also demand a degree of artistic interpretation and, as such, are great concert pieces. How many Czerny or Hanon exercises can you play for company or include on a recital? ???

I'd rather listen to the whole set of Chopin etudes 5 times from top to bottom rather than listen a book of Czerny exercises or Hanon exercises.

So yes =) I'll be damned if I play them at a recital ;D
Bach - Partita No.2
Scriabin - Etude 8/12
Debussy - L'isle Joyeuse
Liszt - Un Sospiro

Goal:
Prokofiev - Toccata

>LISTEN<

Offline amelialw

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: July 28, 2007, 07:03:37 PM
I recommend Czerny etudes.  One should be fluent with a full book of Czerny before even cracking a Chopin Etude.

LOL...i'm learning Chopin Etudes and i've never touched Hanon or Czerny, those are not necessities

Offline leuthold

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: July 29, 2007, 06:45:48 PM
Brahms' 51 exercises are better than czerny or hanon... i ve never begun but i think they re impressive...

Offline cloches_de_geneve

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: August 01, 2007, 12:54:51 PM
I don't think they are essential. You can get away without playing a lot of them. I consider op10no1 2 4 5 7 and 10 essential. op25no6 8 and 11. The rest are not in my opinion.

I agree with this view, with the exception of 10/5, which is dispensable imo or replacable by 25/2, which is good for finegrained fingerwork including jeu perlé. 10/8 is a very helpful etude too, but maybe not as essential as the others.
"It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it." -- Glenn Gould

Offline franzliszt2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: August 01, 2007, 08:11:37 PM
I just think op10no5 is good because it does black keys more than op25no2 lol. Op10no8 is an amazing etude, but I find that op10no4 covers the same ground. Op0no8 is essential for passing of the thumb. But again, arpeggio practice cabn solve this.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert