Piano Forum

Topic: dutilleux clairs de lune and dukas sonata in Eb-minor  (Read 2563 times)

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
dutilleux clairs de lune and dukas sonata in Eb-minor
on: September 03, 2007, 02:29:21 PM
i listened to hamelins recording, beautiful set of pieces...they don't sounds easy though.
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Re: duetilleux clairs de lune and dukas sonata in Eb-minor
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 03:18:30 PM
i listened to hamelins recording, beautiful set of pieces...they don't sounds easy though.
And they are not by Dutilleux (whose name is spelt with only one "e", incidentally and has been for more than 90 years) either but by Decaux...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Re: dutilleux clairs de lune and dukas sonata in Eb-minor
Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 04:47:56 PM
it was a typo mister ahinton but its fixed now.
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 05:26:11 PM
Dukas Sonata oh great pre teen genius.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 05:33:45 PM
Dutilleux did a 2 piano transcription of Debussy's Claire du Lune and as hinty pointed out ,the composer you are referring to is Decaux.

Amazingly, he did not point out the Copyright status of either composition.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 02:05:31 PM
no. im refering to clairs de lune by dutilleux. he did 4 of them

theres la mer, la ruelle, le cimetiere, and minuit passe.

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 02:34:06 PM
That is by Abel Decaux, not by Henri Dutilleux. They're under copyright. And even if they were by Dutilleux, they would still be under copyright, for Dutilleux is still alive.

Offline cz4p32

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 03:55:36 PM
Is the Decaux still under copyright?  I have the score and will share if it's ok.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 06:06:13 PM
Is the Decaux still under copyright?
Yes, it is; Decaux died in 1943 so, under present legislation, copyright in his work expires on 31 December 2013.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline cz4p32

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 07:15:33 PM
Yes, it is; Decaux died in 1943 so, under present legislation, copyright in his work expires on 31 December 2013.

Best,

Alistair

Interestingly enough according to the IMSLP website this piece, or at least this edition is considered in the public domain.
https://imslp.org/wiki/Clairs_de_Lune_%28Decaux%2C_Abel%29

Why the discrepancy?

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 11:28:08 PM
Interestingly enough according to the IMSLP website this piece, or at least this edition is considered in the public domain.
https://imslp.org/wiki/Clairs_de_Lune_%28Decaux%2C_Abel%29

Why the discrepancy?
Well, I imagine that imslp isn't that bothered about copyright issues but, since you nevertheless ask why, my answer was based upon standard European intellectual property legislation that determines that material customarily remains in copyright until the end of the 70th year of the originator's death.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline cz4p32

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 01:21:56 AM
Interesting.  I wonder if the european laws, are different from the US laws.

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 01:24:22 AM
They are. For Europe, it's 70 years. For the US, it's 50 years. It's legal for Americans to download, then.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 06:18:11 AM
They are. For Europe, it's 70 years. For the US, it's 50 years. It's legal for Americans to download, then.
Provided that they do so in America only and that, having done so, they do not distribute the product in any form to any territory whose copyright term is 70 years or more. Furthermore, the American rules are more complex than you suggest and I believe that one of these stipulates that any work published before 1923 is in the public domain there regardless of the composer's date of death (and we should perhaps therefore be thankful that Elliott Carter was not a child prodigy as a composer, otherwise this might have meant that anything that he had published in America up to the age of 16 would be in the public domain even though he is himself still very much in the public "domain"!)...

I've had to be very careful, for example, about Sorabji's piano transcription of the closing scene from Richard Strauss's opera Salome, which I could have distributed freely in America but whose distribution would have been illegal in many other territories; I decided not to distribute it at all until I could secure the publisher's permission (for a fee per copy, of course) to distribute Jonathan Powell's new typeset edition of that work without restriction. It took around 14 years, on and off, to acquire this conesnt but we did finally acquire it earlier this year and it's now in our catalogue. This contract is destined to last until 31 December 2019 when, if present legislation still pertains, it will expire, as all of Strauss's music will then enter the public domain in Europe.

My advice (for what it may or may not be worth) is to be very careful when downloading or photocopying any work which is in the public domain in certain places but which remains in copyright elsewhere. There was, for example, all manner of confusion for a time when, several years ago, the European standard term increased from the end of the 50th to the end of the 70th year following the composer's death, since this change inevitably meant that some music that had already entered the public domain under the previous legislation automatically returned to copyright status for a period up to 20 years.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert