Piano Forum logo
November 19, 2017, 05:57:25 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Barenboim on Chopin’s Ballade no. 1

Chopin inspires musicians to greater artistry and, as Barenboim says in this video, makes them want to sound as if the music is simply emanating from them as light from a candle. In this ballade, Chopin also takes us on a leisurely stroll through his own private musical world. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: about schumann  (Read 6428 times)
ryanyee
PS Silver Member

« on: October 09, 2007, 09:38:03 AM »

hey y'all. i've recently been starting to learn some of schumann's pieces and i think they're pretty great. i'll like to know what everybody thinks about schumann.
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
ryan2189
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 03:12:14 PM »

I have just started getting into Schumann myself. My teacher assigned me the Papillons a few weeks ago and I really do enjoy them. Beforehand, pieces by Schumann were not really on my future list for repetoire, but now that is most likely to change.
amelialw
PS Gold Member

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 07:00:12 PM »

my 1st piece by Schumann that I ever got was his concerto in a minor. Right after my teacher assigned it, I went home and listened to it. I really love Schumann's pieces. The only thing is that they can be rather challenging as my teacher said that there's a big difference between playing chopin, schubert and schumann. She said some of his pieces can be really profound and that makes it hard.

J.S Bach Italian Concerto,Beethoven Sonata op.2 no.2,Mozart Sonatas K.330&333,Chopin Scherzo no.2,Etude op.10 no.12&Fantasie Impromptu
steve jones
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 08:20:56 PM »

I must admit, I have limited enthusiasm for Schumann's music.

Not sure why! I know he was a fine composer and all. Just not really struck by anything of his. I find myself as indifferent to Mendelssohn aswell  Undecided

SJ
ramithediv
PS Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 08:38:51 PM »

I know nothing of Schumanns. There's too much Beethoven and Mozart out there to explore yet, for me.  Grin

I have a CD of some Sonatas, but have not listened to it yet.

Thank you and Goodnight.
schubertiad
PS Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 02:13:58 PM »

He's my favourite romantic composer. His early output for piano was just ridiculous: op.1 Abegg variations (maybe the greatest opening opus of any composer) op.2 papillons, op.6 Davidsbundlertaenze, op.7 Toccata, op.9 Carnaval, op.11 1st sonata, op.12 fantasiestücke, op.13 symphonic etudes, op.14 3rd sonata, op.15 Kinderszenen, op.16 kreisleriana, op.17 fantasy, op.18 arabeske. Then there are the songs, the symphonies, the piano concerto, all brilliant and unique.
His later stuff is much patchier, but some of it is still excellent. Even his late violin concerto, which people love to criticize, is a great work.
In short, i think he's the bee's knees.

“To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time.” Leonard Bernstein
alessandro
PS Silver Member

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 10:52:47 AM »

I'm not too much of a Schumann fan but the first piece of Kinderszenen - I can't quote the title by heart ("Foreign countries and foreign people ?") - is one of my favourite top ten pieces.  Absolutely simple and delightful, well-balanced, and for me, like often with "easy" pieces, not easy to play.  I still not satisfied with grasping the spirit of those pieces.  I remember two recordings of Cortot, one on double CD and one on a DVD, and he plays Schumann wonderfully, unique.  Good luck with your playing Ryanyee.
Kind greetings to all of you. 
ryanyee
PS Silver Member

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 11:35:37 AM »

I'm not too much of a Schumann fan but the first piece of Kinderszenen - I can't quote the title by heart ("Foreign countries and foreign people ?") - is one of my favourite top ten pieces.  Absolutely simple and delightful, well-balanced, and for me, like often with "easy" pieces, not easy to play.  I still not satisfied with grasping the spirit of those pieces.  I remember two recordings of Cortot, one on double CD and one on a DVD, and he plays Schumann wonderfully, unique.  Good luck with your playing Ryanyee.
Kind greetings to all of you. 
thanks! well from what i've seen from his scores, it's quite technically demanding. got frustrated just trying to learn his allegro in b minor and the kreisleriana.
prongated
PS Silver Member

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 11:49:45 AM »

schumann // sentimentality
for me
ryanyee
PS Silver Member

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 06:22:32 AM »

schumann // sentimentality
for me
exactly why i love schumann's piano pieces
jepoy
PS Silver Member

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 03:05:36 PM »

My first Schumann were two pieces from Carnivale, Chiarina and Chopin. At that time, I wasn't that interested in his other works. Then, my teacher assigned the Papillons to me. It took me a while to study since I wasn't really thrilled with the music so I always put it off. But the more I studied it, the more I was drawn to it. Now, I'm determined to have some of his works in my active repertoire. Perhaps one day, I will have the time and technique to take on his piano concerto. Good luck with Schumann!
mattgreenecomposer
PS Silver Member

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 03:16:05 PM »

Schumann is a genius...period. Grin

Download free sheet music at mattgreenecomposer.com
mcgillcomposer
PS Silver Member

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 03:46:43 PM »

Schumann is a genius...period. Grin
genau

Asked if he had ever conducted any Stockhausen,Sir Thomas Beecham replied, "No, but I once trod in some."
mmro
PS Silver Member

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 11:53:43 PM »

Shcumman... wow. I played Kinderszenen when I was little.... Schumman's music is  of the most beautiful, purely romantic beautifulness.... sorry I can't find words to describe it  Undecided

Good luck! Genius composer
waza
PS Silver Member

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 02:43:55 PM »

right now i'm learning the little study and it's really a lvoely piece played right which i'm getting better at. Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: