Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Bethoven Piano Sonatas  (Read 5621 times)

Offline migamaral

• PS Silver Member
Bethoven Piano Sonatas
on: October 14, 2007, 09:59:38 PM
Hi everybody...

have you heard de complete set of the bethoven piano sonatas by Glenn Gould? It was the only one I had, but I bought recently the Kempff set, and I really think that its better.

I would like to hear your opininon

Offline bartolomeo_

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bethoven Piano Sonatas
Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 11:58:09 PM
Gould was best known for his recordings of Bach's works, especially the WTK.

He was not regarded as a definitive interpreter of Beethoven.

Offline mcgillcomposer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 04:48:00 AM
Hi everybody...

have you heard de complete set of the bethoven piano sonatas by Glenn Gould? It was the only one I had, but I bought recently the Kempff set, and I really think that its better.

I would like to hear your opininon

Gould didn't record all 32...I am curious to know what recordings by him you have.

Gilels did a beautiful recording of the cycle, and Brendel has put out several. The thing is, I don't think there is ONE pianist who plays all of the Beethoven sonatas the 'best', per se. For example, I don't think anyone can beat Michelangeli's Op.2 No.3, and some of Richter's recordings are top notch, even though he didn't record the complete 32 either. If you want the whole cycle, try Gilels or Brendel.
Asked if he had ever conducted any Stockhausen,Sir Thomas Beecham replied, "No, but I once trod in some."

Offline invictious

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 06:28:33 AM
Gould didn't record all 32...I am curious to know what recordings by him you have.

Gilels did a beautiful recording of the cycle, and Brendel has put out several. The thing is, I don't think there is ONE pianist who plays all of the Beethoven sonatas the 'best', per se. For example, I don't think anyone can beat Michelangeli's Op.2 No.3, and some of Richter's recordings are top notch, even though he didn't record the complete 32 either. If you want the whole cycle, try Gilels or Brendel.

I second the Gilels, although I only heard some of Brendel, that is of course, you are getting the whole cycle. There is not one pianist who has made the 'best' cycle of BeeSons, so I would recommend getting several recordings of each.

I like Gilels because he really brings out the excitement and passion in Beethoven's music. Horowitz's is not bad either. Richter's is great.
Bach - Partita No.2
Scriabin - Etude 8/12
Debussy - L'isle Joyeuse
Liszt - Un Sospiro

Goal:
Prokofiev - Toccata

>LISTEN<

Offline pianovirus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 02:28:04 PM
I think I have heard Gould's Appassionata a while ago at a friend's place. I was very weird and also extremely slow if I remember well....
youtube.com/user/pianovirus[/url]

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 03:57:52 PM
Annie Fischer has one of the best complete cycles, I like Gilels too, it's really sad he died before he could do the op. 111

Offline mcgillcomposer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 04:07:02 PM
Annie Fischer has one of the best complete cycles, I like Gilels too, it's really sad he died before he could do the op. 111
I know! And even worse that he died due to a medical ACCIDENT...scandalous.
Asked if he had ever conducted any Stockhausen,Sir Thomas Beecham replied, "No, but I once trod in some."

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 04:33:59 PM
I know! And even worse that he died due to a medical ACCIDENT...scandalous.

really what was it,you must speak.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline mcgillcomposer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 12:39:25 AM
really what was it,you must speak.

Quoted from Wikipedia:

"He [Gilels] was in the midst of completing a survey of Beethoven's piano sonatas for the German record company Deutsche Grammophon when he died after a medical check-up in 1985 in Moscow (his recording of the "Hammerklavier" sonata received a Gramophone Award in 1984). Sviatoslav Richter, who knew Gilels well and was a fellow-student of Neuhaus at the Moscow Conservatory, reported that he was killed accidentally when an incompetent doctor at the Kremlin hospital gave him the wrong injection during a routine checkup. [4]"

Sad, isn't it?

Offline lazlo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 01:53:20 AM
Glenn Gould did record the complete beethoven piano sonatas... He was quite contemptuous of many of them however. His favorite one was the "les adiex". He notoriously hated the Appassionata, and the Pathetique, and most of the famous ones, as indicated by how little passion he puts into them... He also played the complete mozart sonatas, and a lot of the haydn. He hated mozart because his music did not  conform to his idea that all music should be contrapuntal. Anyways... So yeah, his beethoven would not be the first recordings I would want to listen to. I really like Fazil Say, Vladimir Horowitz, Friedrich Gulda, and Alfred Brendel's recordings... I don't know if any of these people have made complete recordings... Kempff, Ashkenazy, and Seymour Lipkin are pretty good as well.

Offline invictious

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 03:42:57 AM
Glenn Gould did record the complete beethoven piano sonatas... He was quite contemptuous of many of them however. His favorite one was the "les adiex". He notoriously hated the Appassionata, and the Pathetique, and most of the famous ones, as indicated by how little passion he puts into them... He also played the complete mozart sonatas, and a lot of the haydn. He hated mozart because his music did not  conform to his idea that all music should be contrapuntal. Anyways... So yeah, his beethoven would not be the first recordings I would want to listen to. I really like Fazil Say, Vladimir Horowitz, Friedrich Gulda, and Alfred Brendel's recordings... I don't know if any of these people have made complete recordings... Kempff, Ashkenazy, and Seymour Lipkin are pretty good as well.

I thought his Pathetique first movement was brilliant, and I use it as a reference when listening to it. (well, the live version in tokyo at least)
It is SO intense, I couldn't breathe..
Bach - Partita No.2
Scriabin - Etude 8/12
Debussy - L'isle Joyeuse
Liszt - Un Sospiro

Goal:
Prokofiev - Toccata

>LISTEN<

Offline mcgillcomposer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 03:54:44 AM

Where did you get this information re: Gould. I am almost 100% sure that he only recorded 23 of the 32. Check the Wikipedia article for example:

"Gould recorded most of Bach's other keyboard works, including the complete Well-Tempered Clavier, Partitas, French Suites, English Suites and keyboard concertos. For his only recording at the organ, he recorded about half of The Art of Fugue. He also recorded all five of Beethoven's piano concertos and 23 of the 32 piano sonatas."

Offline migamaral

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 09:08:02 AM
I made a download of this set, I didn't have time to listen do it all, but it is a 3 volume set, with 3 discs each, so I think it must be the somplete set...

Offline mcgillcomposer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 01:21:47 PM
I made a download of this set, I didn't have time to listen do it all, but it is a 3 volume set, with 3 discs each, so I think it must be the somplete set...

Wow, I've got to see this. Please please please send me the CD number or UPC on the back of the CD set. If it's true I really want to acquire it.

Offline cmg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 02:43:02 PM

If you want the whole cycle, try Gilels or Brendel.

Actually, Gilels did not record the whole cycle.  Opus 111 and four others were not recorded.  After recording Opp. 109 and 110 in the late summer of 1985, he died only a few weeks later, on October 14, 1985, on the eve of his 69th birthday.

Claude Frank had a complete cycle on vinyl years ago that was quite beautiful.  I wonder if it has been transferred to CD.  Anyone know?

Ashkenazy's complete cycle is more than just respectable:  it's often quite beautiful.

p.s. just noticed that you posted the Gilels info from Wikipedia.  Sorry to repeat it.
Current repertoire:  "Come to Jesus" (in whole-notes)

Offline mcgillcomposer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 03:22:22 PM
Actually, Gilels did not record the whole cycle.  Opus 111 and four others were not recorded.  After recording Opp. 109 and 110 in the late summer of 1985, he died only a few weeks later, on October 14, 1985, on the eve of his 69th birthday.

Claude Frank had a complete cycle on vinyl years ago that was quite beautiful.  I wonder if it has been transferred to CD.  Anyone know?

Ashkenazy's complete cycle is more than just respectable:  it's often quite beautiful.

p.s. just noticed that you posted the Gilels info from Wikipedia.  Sorry to repeat it.

Ashkenazy is often at the wrong end of negative comments; I agree with you re: his Beethoven cycle - it has some very beautiful moments.

Thanks for the info re: Gilels - what do you know about the Gould debate?

Offline cmg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 05:11:44 PM
Ashkenazy is often at the wrong end of negative comments; I agree with you re: his Beethoven cycle - it has some very beautiful moments.

Thanks for the info re: Gilels - what do you know about the Gould debate?

Well, not much, I'm afraid.  I do have his 2-CD set of Beethoven Variations (c minor, F Major, "Eroica"), Opp. 33 and 126 Bagatelles.  And, of course, all 5 concerti.  What sonatas I have heard of his -- from old Sony laserdisc copies of CBC programs -- are pretty stupendous.

I love Gould.  What an artist!  Would like to hear as much of his Beethoven as I can. 
Current repertoire:  "Come to Jesus" (in whole-notes)

Offline georgethemusicalme

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: October 22, 2007, 06:42:43 PM
I dunno if he's done a complete recording of all the Beethoven sonatas, but Jeno Jando's done some brilliant performances on the Pathetique, Appassionata, Moonlight and Eflat major sonatas. Such passion. :o

Offline dave santino

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 04:59:17 PM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Barenboim, so I'll put in a note for him. I have his complete set on DG, I believe it's the second cycle, and find them to be superb interpretations, faultlessly played and consistently jaw-dropping.
"My advice to aspiring musicians? Wear sunblock and use a condom!" - Steve Vai

Offline rhapsody4

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 05:45:04 PM
Moonlight/Pathetique/Appassionata : Barenboim
Tempest/Waldstein/Hammerklavier : Gilels

Based on what I have heard anyway. In general, I would say that Gilels is the best Beethoven sonata interpretter I have heard (with Radu Lupu (5) and Ashkenazy (1-4) the best I have heard for the concertos).

I'm pretty open to new interpretations though, although there is a limit to the amount of times I can hear the Moonlight first movement and Pathetique second movement though!
“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
FZ

Offline jehangircama

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: October 26, 2007, 03:14:39 PM
what about Arrau? did he record the set?
You either do or do not. There is no try- Yoda

Life is like a piano, what you get out of it depends on how you play it

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: October 26, 2007, 07:58:48 PM
Schnabel.

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: October 26, 2007, 08:13:18 PM

Yes it has. I have some of these and they're very good.

https://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Complete-Piano-Sonatas/dp/B000063DK9
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: October 26, 2007, 08:13:52 PM
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: October 28, 2007, 01:29:06 AM
I love Schnabel's edition of the Beethoven Sonata scores.  I like them better than henle.  It's like having a piano lesson with schnabel.

Didn't fleisher study with schnabel?  I heard a story from a teacher of mine who studied with fleisher.  He said Schnabel ran into Fleisher in England and was complaining about bad dental work he'd had done:  "I paid fifty shillings for shifty fillings."  Funny?  I"m not sure.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert